Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you Consider Diarrhea?
Unregistered 01:25 PM 02-02-2015
one loose stool? two?
finsup 01:42 PM 02-02-2015
Depends if we're talking just slightly more loose than normal or completely liquid. Liquid, yeah, home you go lol. Just slightly loose and acting fine/no fever etc I'm good with just keeping an eye on it. Also depends on what's normal for that child of course.
AuntTami 02:47 PM 02-02-2015
I base mine off of what I was taught when i went to school to become a CNA. Hard, Medium, Soft, Loose or Diarrhea(I think, if I remember right, loose and diarrhea are the same in the medical world, but theres DEFINITELY a difference to me lol).......Soft, loose and diarrhea are similar but very different. All liquid, and theres very minimal formation = Diarrhea and kiddo is going home, whether there's a fever or not. Loose is mostly liquid but with some formation and kiddo is Still going home if they have more than 1 or if it's accompanied by a fever. Soft is mostly formed, and is fine as long as kiddo acts fine otherwise, Medium is what is strived for generally, and then theres hard, which is what I call "poop bb's" since they usually are. lol

Like PP stated though, the consistancy varies very much from kid to kid, and person to person. I know people who have diarrhea OFTEN, but there's nothing wrong with them. And then I know people who only ever have diarrhea when they're half-dead from the flu or the like.
sahm1225 08:56 PM 02-02-2015
When it's liquidy, not contained in the diaper or barely contained and has that smell.
Two of my kiddos have digestion problems and their poops are rarely formed, but they are contained and smell normal.
grateday 02:02 PM 02-03-2015
I consider diarrhea and based on age and diet:

Sometimes you get parents who feed there kids a lot of soups and smoothies.....
That said:

Frequent liquid loose stool
Foul smelling

Age of child plays a role too here, younger infants have more loose stools seems....

I had a three year old I sent home when it was so foul and spilling out everywhere (completely overflowed pants/underwear/overflowed diaper changing pad) and it was a containment and exposure risk, not to mention a foul smell that is distinctly different than usual usually indicates illness.

Amount and frequency can trigger electrolyte loss and dehydration which means they need to be go home and get better/see a doctor. Having a child in that condition is dangerous and unsafe for you and everyone around you.

......I hope you have gloves
Reply Up