Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>News Channel riding up parents about daycare costs
lovemydaycare0912 05:01 AM 09-29-2016
http://wtnh.com/2016/09/29/child-car...llege-tuition/

This is so annoying. Reading the comments. Seeing parents that are my FB friends repost. Maybe you shouldn't have had children if you couldn't afford it. Maybe you shouldn't have had a 2nd if you couldn't afford the first.

Stop acting like college is so much more important than a child's first years of life.

Do I not deserve to make a living too? Or should I work for free or close to it just so you can be comfortable?

Mehhhhhh I wanted to scream when I read that. Sorry for the vent. I know it's been brought up before. Just annoyed.
Blackcat31 05:17 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
http://wtnh.com/2016/09/29/child-car...llege-tuition/

This is so annoying. Reading the comments. Seeing parents that are my FB friends repost. Maybe you shouldn't have had children if you couldn't afford it. Maybe you shouldn't have had a 2nd if you couldn't afford the first.

Stop acting like college is so much more important than a child's first years of life.

Do I not deserve to make a living too? Or should I work for free or close to it just so you can be comfortable?

Mehhhhhh I wanted to scream when I read that. Sorry for the vent. I know it's been brought up before. Just annoyed.
It's not personal.

Heck, it's not even in the best interests of the families or the children who attend child care.....

It's political.
It's taking the care and guidance of children from parents and placing it in the hands of the government.
......because they know best. better than parents even.

They are just trying hit families where they know it makes an impact. If any of these families realized what's really happening, they wouldn't be complaining about the CHOICE they have right now.

Pretty soon, they won't have a choice.
Child care will be free (or close to free for them)
But like anything "free" there is always a hidden cost.
It might not come from their wallets, but it will still cost them.
lovemydaycare0912 05:41 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's not personal.

Heck, it's not even in the best interests of the families or the children who attend child care.....

It's political.
It's taking the care and guidance of children from parents and placing it in the hands of the government.

They are just trying hit families where they know it makes an impact. If any of these families realized what's really happening, they wouldn't be complaining about the CHOICE they have right now.

You are absolutely right. I guess I'm just annoyed when I see sparky comments suggesting that either all day cares suck because of poor choices of another or how it's crazy that it's so expensive.

Thanks for shedding light.
daycarediva 05:43 AM 09-29-2016
It's not personal.

It's political.

Obama said birth for education, and he MEANT IT. Big government, in total control of our children from birth-college. Sad!
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 09-29-2016
You are absolutely right. I guess I'm just annoyed when I see sparky comments suggesting that either all day cares suck because of poor choices of another or how it's crazy that it's so expensive.

Thanks for shedding light.
The negative atmosphere and/or mis-informed comments and opinions have always been there.

We, as providers and business owners have NEVER received the respect or support or credit we deserve in this profession. It's sad but even though everyone knows the importance of what we do, its just never really been a career that is "valued" or respected like some others are.

I know the fight to change that has been going on forever but I'd like to think that we are making forward progress. Tiny steps but still moving forward.

It does suck to hear parents make comments about daycare/providers and the subject all together. It's disheartening that parents don't realize that on the other end of their hurtful comments about money is a parent or family just like them trying to do the same thing they are doing....raise a child/family on a budget.

I didn't in any way mean to discredit the emotional side of this and I definitely don't mean to gloss over your feelings about this... I DO understand. I know it is hurtful and infuriating at the same time.

I guess I've just learned to lessen my own stress about it by changing how I "see" it. Sometimes I will take the opportunity to "educate" a parent when they make uneducated or untrue statements/comments and other times I just let them own their own misguided attempt to navigate the world of child care and education.

MissAnn 06:12 AM 09-29-2016
"Childcare is costing more than my car payment"

Are you listening to yourself say this?

My car payment is $400/month. That would be cheap for daycare.....and isn't your child worth more than you car?
Georgiads 06:27 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

My car payment is $400/month. That would be cheap for daycare.....and isn't your child worth more than you car?

You would think they would value their childs's care more than the new car they don't actually need!

Unfortunately many people seem to want part time kids they only spend time with on the weekends.

We all have CHOICES about how we spend our money, and my choice would be to pass up fancy stuff in order to pay for high quality childcare/preschool for my child, but to each their own.
MunchkinWrangler 09:14 AM 09-29-2016
I, of course as a woman myself, respect wanting a career.

The problem is society. Inflation, higher cost of living, etc.

The push for college education, making a career important, as well as materialism has made traditional family values obsolete. That's because no one really has to work for their survival. (What I mean by this is you have to work for money to pay for it but no one is farming, hunting, gathering, just to survive.) Think about the basic needs of a caveman. Think about the early settlers. Life was vastly different than it is today.

I am realizing a shift in that a mother's career is more important than her children. Her identity is more important than being known as a homemaker.

I used to think this way. Until I had a child and realized that I need to be a good cook to make a proper meal for my child. I need to know how to do laundry. I need to do housework to keep a sanitary and clean environment for my child. It is literally a full time job.

I understand in not being totally fulfilled with being a homemaker but it is an important skill. I struggle with being a mother, childcare provider, and than keeping up my home as well as going to school so I can have that important moneymaking career. I feel constantly burned out but I have no choice.

But yes, this is sad and maddening. If you can't raise your children, you need to pay someone to do it. I am losing a family to an au pair. It was mentioned how it is so much cheaper than I am. OF COURSE, IT IS!!! I HAVE BILLS TO PAY!!!! And now I'm trying to figure out how to pay my bills.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:42 AM 09-29-2016
I don't get mad about it anymore, but the article liked above does get me mad at the MEDIA! This has been a conversation going on for years and they like to bring it back up again and again. Don't you feel like that is all they do anymore? With the election, we are still talking about things that happened 20 years ago. Every "news article" I read, I have to research, because the "information" could be just repeated talking points from 10 years ago. They take whatever story will touch a nerve and put out the biggest headline, hoping to catch a few fish. Pretty shady and not what I consider journalism.

As for the daycare cost debate. Parents ca b!tch and moan or they can quit work and start a daycare and roll in the money like we all do, right? Problem solved.
lovemydaycare0912 09:43 AM 09-29-2016
Oh no, BC I don't feel like you discredited the emotional side or glossed over my feelings at all. You've been in business for a while so I can definitely see where you are coming from.

I have a parent who at 1 point was a single mom for a few months and had to stay at her friend's house until she was accepted into affordable housing. She never took her child out of my care because this was her priority. She did whatever she had to do to keep him here. She is the only parent I know like this. Not saying my other families don't have their priorities straight, but I have another parent who pays no rent because she lives home with mom who wanted to disenroll for 2 weeks because of financial reasons. She is not good prioritizing.

My 18 yr old cousin has an infant and saw one of those articles of a daycare provider who abused a child and said F@$% all daycares. I couldn't hold my tongue because that statement really passed me off. I know she's young and ignorant but I also had to educate her.

Maybeeeeeeee 1 day we will be seen as professionals trying to make a living. Probably not though.
daycarediva 09:46 AM 09-29-2016

Reminds me of the "I could drive a porsche..." thread.

Priorities are completely screwed up in this country. Things matter more than people. Than their own CHILDREN.
Mom2Two 10:00 AM 09-29-2016

That is such a put-down to both you and to their own child. It's like they're comparing their child to a car expense. What the heck?
Mom2Two 10:02 AM 09-29-2016

Maybeeeeeeee 1 day we will be seen as professionals trying to make a living. Probably not though.
It seems like there are a lot of people doing home daycare who don't behave in a professional way. Maybe that drags down the image for the rest of us who take it seriously.
christine19720 10:14 AM 09-29-2016
It's not personal.

It's political.

But like anything free" there is always a hidden cost.
I agree. When the working people are paying 75% of their pay in taxes! And the companies and workers all leave the country. Rob the haves and give to the have nots does not work. Just look at Venezuela. Don't think it can't happen here....
Cat Herder 10:24 AM 09-29-2016
Didn't we just do this a few Novembers ago Only it was public school teachers. They picketed, striked, it was all anyone talked about.

The world was ending and it was public school teachers fault. Sound familiar to anyone....
Attached: wag the dog.jpg (13.4 KB) 
lovemydaycare0912 10:38 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
It seems like there are a lot of people doing home daycare who don't behave in a professional way. Maybe that drags down the image for the rest of us who take it seriously.
You are absolutely right. Had a mom and grandma pair who came from a daycare but all they did was watch TV. Everything I enforced policies or even just because grandma would mention how black and white we were and that we weren't like the other babysitter. I hate that word even though dh doesn't mind it. She saw the difference and didn't realize daycares could be so about their business for lack of a better term. Anyway, I've had dcb since may 2015. Thought I was going to lose him bc wanted care until 600 but they're making it work.
Ariana 12:28 PM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Reminds me of the "I could drive a porsche..." thread.

Priorities are completely screwed up in this country. Things matter more than people. Than their own CHILDREN.
THIS is the bottom line. Parents do not want to pay for anything they don't get something out of directly. They can drive a Porsche and look cool but have someone take care of my kid WHILE I WORK? Who cares.

I literally would LOVE to have all caregivers just go on strike and see everyones lives and the whole effing economy grind to a halt. Not even sure the President would be able to get to the office that day
Ariana 12:31 PM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Another huge issue I think. The lady down the street offering care for $25 a day, takes in more kids than legally allowed, has the tv on 24/7 and keeps the kids in her concrete basement. You think I am joking but of course y'all know I am not.
Tags:universal childcare, universal preschool
Reply Up