Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible Client Is Wanting To Start a Childcare
daycare 03:17 PM 12-13-2012
So today I got a call from a woman who is looking for part time childcare for her daughter. the woman tells me that it will only be temporary and the reason is becuase she is trying to work to open her own family childcare in her home in the same city.
She is in the process of getting her home ready and says that she needs to work a part time job to earn the money to pay for the daycare items she will need before she opens.

we talked for a really long time and she sounds like an amazing person. We even entertained the idea of having her work with me at some point.

We plan to meet tonight to discuss childcare for her child and of course I don't want to go into this blind.

I am feeling a little apprehensive of wanting to work with this person, but also wanting to have someone who I could work with in the future either with my business or their own.

what do you guys think?? what should I do here?? advice needed!!!

oh and please dont cyber smack me.......lol
LaLa1923 04:34 PM 12-13-2012
I think this is a great idea. A woman across the street from me does daycare! We often work together and help each other. Just go into it with a little apprehension....even if you don't show it..
EchoMom 04:50 PM 12-13-2012
I've been doing daycare a year now, and about a month ago my directly across the street neighbor started providing chilcare for infants. She never talked to me about it, but I assume she got the idea from me or was at least influenced by it since it is obvious that my home is a daycare and all the cars coming and going.

I wasn't mad, wish she'd have talked to me I would have helped her out. There is plenty of business in my area to go around! I did walk across the street and ask if she had any openings for the kid I wanted to term (her hours are longer than mine).

She seemed really nice that I came over and it opened the door to talking with each other if ever the need arises but we've never talked before or since.

If there's plenty of business in your area then I wouldn't worry about it. I would only feel maybe like I was being observed or copied...
daycare 05:02 PM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I've been doing daycare a year now, and about a month ago my directly across the street neighbor started providing chilcare for infants. She never talked to me about it, but I assume she got the idea from me or was at least influenced by it since it is obvious that my home is a daycare and all the cars coming and going.

I wasn't mad, wish she'd have talked to me I would have helped her out. There is plenty of business in my area to go around! I did walk across the street and ask if she had any openings for the kid I wanted to term (her hours are longer than mine).

She seemed really nice that I came over and it opened the door to talking with each other if ever the need arises but we've never talked before or since.

If there's plenty of business in your area then I wouldn't worry about it. I would only feel maybe like I was being observed or copied...
thats one of the hard things, is that business is soooooo slow. I have had 1 opening for almost 7 months and have spent almost 1grand in advertisment since then, yet nothing still.

We live in a GREAT area, with lots of money, but majority of the families here are stay at home mom's, have nannies, or go to private academy schools. Sometimes they have all 3....
cheerfuldom 05:29 PM 12-13-2012
I would not jump to work with this woman or use her as a back up, especially if she is not full yet. I am sorry but I would be worried she would take my daycare families. I dont personally think that any of my daycare families would leave but you never know....especially if she works for you for awhile and then offers super cheap rates or something else that a family feels like they cannot resist.

I would have no problem providing care for her child but I would be prepared for her to copy all the parent paperwork you provide. Thats very common and many people just change the name on the top to their daycare and then use other peoples paperwork.

just remember that this person is a stranger and tread very lightly....
daycare 06:42 PM 12-13-2012
this is exactly how I feel.... I am worried that she might try something sneaky. I don't know this person and I don't know their intentions either. I want so bad to have somoene to network with, but want to get to know this person before I would want to let them work with me or for me..

We are meeting in a hour, hope it goes well
Crazy8 07:27 PM 12-13-2012
I know I am a cynic but I'd be thinking she only wants to meet to copy what you do and maybe get some of your forms, etc.

I'm envious of the areas where there is enough business to go around, it just isn't like that here with home daycares and I'm a little more protective of the info I give out and the people I meet with.

Good luck though, I hope it works out!!
boysx5 03:34 AM 12-14-2012
My neighbor and I both do daycare and are great friends its so nice to get our kids together plus she and I both understand this job where some others will never get it. We help each other vent and laugh its wonderful
wdmmom 10:34 AM 12-14-2012
No, no, no. My bet is she wants a copy of all your paperwork so she can just copy it and start business.

If she is not currently working outside the home, I wouldn't even entertain it!
itlw8 01:26 PM 12-14-2012
I like to mentor new people. The more people that go into it with their eyes open th better it is for all of us. Bad providers give everyone a bad name and good ones improve it.

paperwork??? heck we all have about the same policies. I will share mine so they can tweak to fit them. heck mine started from a class I took with the kauffman foundation. But out of 30 ladies we ended up with 30 different policies.
Crystal 01:48 PM 12-14-2012
I like the fact that she was honest with you about her intentions. If she were trying to be sneaky about it, I would refuse to help her....with child care for her child or with helping her start her own. But, because of her honesty, I would entertain either idea. And, regarding forms, I really do not care if other people use them. It really is not all that difficult to create contracts and policies, so I don't understand why anyone would care if another provider used them.

How did your meeting go?
daycare 01:55 PM 12-14-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I like to mentor new people. The more people that go into it with their eyes open th better it is for all of us. Bad providers give everyone a bad name and good ones improve it.

paperwork??? heck we all have about the same policies. I will share mine so they can tweak to fit them. heck mine started from a class I took with the kauffman foundation. But out of 30 ladies we ended up with 30 different policies.
I have mentored several people in the past, but they lived far from me, so it was not like I was in direct competition with them.

We did not get to meet last night. Her dog got out just as she was about to leave and he got hit by a car. Right infront of her child. So they are coming tonight
coolconfidentme 05:26 PM 12-14-2012
I'm a very helpful, giving person, but I really wouldn't want to help someone take potential business from me. That's just me though...
LaLa1923 06:09 PM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I'm a very helpful, giving person, but I really wouldn't want to help someone take potential business from me. That's just me though...
What business is another provider taking?

Not to be rude, but this is exactly how a lot of providers around my area act.
Get a grip! there are a LOT of families that need care!!
There's PLENTY to go around ladies...
Providers need to worry about THEIR business, represent YOUR business and your clients WILL come!!
MamaG 07:01 PM 12-15-2012
Google free printable day care forms! Nobody needs to 'steal' your forms. She has presented herself in an honest way so far, maybe she is an honest person. I don't get the cattiness of people, never been a fan of it.
wdmmom 08:46 PM 12-15-2012
Originally Posted by MamaG:
Google free printable day care forms! Nobody needs to 'steal' your forms. She has presented herself in an honest way so far, maybe she is an honest person. I don't get the cattiness of people, never been a fan of it.
There have been many previous threads where stealing has occurred. Someone will set up an interview, collect forms and the next week they have used exact wording on Craigslist only to change the name of the daycare. Forms may be available through Google but handbooks and policies are not. I, for one, hired a professional to assist with designing my website and inserting the content. The thought of someone stealing my hard work is just the same as stealing money.
MamaG 11:40 PM 12-15-2012
Really!? I got every form I use, my handbook, my contract even off a site full of many many editable options that you can download for free. Plus the state will provide them here if you ask. I wouldn't bother wasting money so I can feel special and boast I paid someone to do something I could have done myself. But then I don't feel the need to upstage or waste my money.
melskids 06:13 AM 12-16-2012
I have no problem networking with other local providers. I've shared my handbook with them, my contract, etc. My website and facebook are public. I've gone to their homes and helped them set up their spaces, and even share curriculum and materials with them as well.

The way I see it, for one, by helping them I could possibly be helping them provide BETTER care for the children, which in the end is all that matters. Providing quality childcare is hard work, and can sometimes be a very solitary and lonely job. We should be there to support each other whenever we can.

I realize business is business, but to me, it's not the same thing as car salesmen or chain stores competing for sales. We are caring for CHILDREN. Other people's CHILDREN.

And we all are unique with different "perks" to offer. What one family would choose me for would not choose another provider for for other reasons.

And that goes both ways. If I meet a family that I know is not a good "match" for me, but would do well with another provider, I feel it is only right to be honest and fair to that family. I won't take on families just for the sake of having all the business in town, or just for the money.

And two, if they are horrible providers, it doesn't matter how much they copy me or "steal" ideas. Actually providing quality childcare is hard work, and the proof is in the pudding. Parents will see through the "facade". I am secure enough with what I do to not worry about anyone "stealing" clients from me.

My only suggestion to you is take time to get to know her, just as you would any other new potential "friend". She may not possess the qualities that are important to you, and you may not want to have people associate her with you or your business.
Tags:competition
Reply Up