Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Temporary Tattoos
liliw80 08:53 AM 07-25-2013
Has anybody ever been in the dog house with a dcm for putting a temporary tattoo on dck?

I guess I knew there was a risk of the dcm not approving, but I didn't realize it would be that big of a deal. She has been fine with me giving her stickers to put on her. The dck is almost four years old. When she picked her up, dcm's reaction was clear that she was not happy. Said "we haven't done that before." I apologized, and told her that I didn't mean to overstep any boundaries. She mentioned that she knows they kind of linger on the skin for a while. I told her that some rubbing alcohol or baby oil would remove the tattoo.

This morning at drop off, she told me that they took it off last night because it was bothering dck. She said that dck doesn't have an allergy to adhesive but has reacted to band aids before. She said she asked dck if the tattoo was itching or burning and dck said it was. I told her that I would not put tattoos on her again. But I feel really frustrated. Some parents just have a way of always pointing out the things that they don't like about you, rather than tell you that they appreciate everything that you do!

I have never felt like such a terrible parent/caregiver over a temporary tattoo!
UtahMomma 09:10 AM 07-25-2013
I'm sorry, momma

My parents were always big on no temporary tattoos or drawing on our skin (they are SUPER religious). It sucked growing up, but not much you can do about it. I wouldn't think it was a big deal, but because of how my parents were, I would have sent them a text asking if it was okay. If I didn't grow up like that, I wouldn't have thought to ask first.

I don't care about them on my kids because they wash off, no big deal. I have real tattoos now
daycarediva 09:56 AM 07-25-2013
I always ask. I have parents sign a little form upon enrollment for things like face painting, temporary tattoos, doing hair with gel and colors for special days, and for the little girls, painting nails. Every parent has always checked every box.
Cradle2crayons 09:57 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by liliw80:
Has anybody ever been in the dog house with a dcm for putting a temporary tattoo on dck?

I guess I knew there was a risk of the dcm not approving, but I didn't realize it would be that big of a deal. She has been fine with me giving her stickers to put on her. The dck is almost four years old. When she picked her up, dcm's reaction was clear that she was not happy. Said "we haven't done that before." I apologized, and told her that I didn't mean to overstep any boundaries. She mentioned that she knows they kind of linger on the skin for a while. I told her that some rubbing alcohol or baby oil would remove the tattoo.

This morning at drop off, she told me that they took it off last night because it was bothering dck. She said that dck doesn't have an allergy to adhesive but has reacted to band aids before. She said she asked dck if the tattoo was itching or burning and dck said it was. I told her that I would not put tattoos on her again. But I feel really frustrated. Some parents just have a way of always pointing out the things that they don't like about you, rather than tell you that they appreciate everything that you do!

I have never felt like such a terrible parent/caregiver over a temporary tattoo!
Lol I'm sorry mom acted that way.

Temporary tattoos don't have any adhesive in them. They stick to the skin because you wet them.. They slide off onto the skin.. And dry. That's how they stay.
Brooksie 10:01 AM 07-25-2013
Sorry they had that reaction. Personally my daughter is always covered in tep tatts.. Seriously, COVERED. She will get a whole sheet and HAS to have all of them at once. I think its her way of admiring and trying to be like my boyfriend. He lives with us and loves her like his own and she loves him the same. He is a tattoo artist and is covered, two full sleeves, full back piece. I also have tattoos (one thats big and not finished) that she likes to color in for me. So to have a toddler covered head to toe in tattoos is adorable to me. But I wouldn't have put one on someone else's child. That's their decision and I would expect a bad reaction even if I was comfortable with the parents. All my parents seem to accept who we are and our style but I wouldn't feel it appropriate to take it upon myself to assume they wanted the same things. Seems so silly but some people get bent out of shape about the smallest things so easily. I've had parents get upset about a child who was learning to use markers and got most of the coloring on the paper but a LOT of it on his skin. Turns out our washable markers aren't really all the washable and the mom was irritated about it. All I could think was, what would you like me to do with him next time we color?(which is every day ) Exclude him because you don't want your child to look like a child? Its just ridiculous.
liliw80 11:18 AM 07-25-2013
I guess it is just another learning experience. In my head I make a mental checklist of ways I should revise my parent/caregiver contract that states my rules and guidelines. This would be a good issue to add.

Before I put the tattoo on my dck, I did think to myself that my older daughter has come home from school before with a stamp on her hand...so how is this much different? So crazy how a little thing to one mom can be such a big deal to another.

Like I said before though, what bothered me the most was how it made me feel so judged...like I was a kid getting into trouble or something. Not the first time I have had that feeling while being a daycare provider...goes with the job huh? . Thanks to all of you for your advice and understanding! This is my first post, but I really do love the resource of this forum. It is so nice to have an outlet and get perspective from providers in similar situations!
My3cents 11:45 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I always ask. I have parents sign a little form upon enrollment for things like face painting, temporary tattoos, doing hair with gel and colors for special days, and for the little girls, painting nails. Every parent has always checked every box.
Would love a copy of this form? I like covering everything- Can you share your form?
JoseyJo 01:03 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Would love a copy of this form? I like covering everything- Can you share your form?
Me too please!!
daycarediva 01:56 PM 07-25-2013
I'm not sure how to upload forms here. It is:

On occasion *daycare name* has special days and/or parties, participation in the following activities is optional. By checking the boxes below and signing this form, you are giving *daycare name* permission to allow your child to participate. This form can be updated at any time to give or revoke permission.

face paint
temporary tattoos # limited to: ________ locations limited to: ___________
hair gel
colored hair spray
colored hair chalk
finger nail polish
toe nail polish

parent/guardian signature:__________________ date:_________________
daycare 02:00 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I will NOT put anything on your child EVER except soap and water. anything else you must fill out a permission to administer form........

i do have in my policies a form for them to sign allowing me to face paint, finger paint and temp tattoos.....
youretooloud 08:17 PM 07-25-2013
I've done it several times. A year or so ago, I put a Tramp Stamp on a baby..just above her little bum. But, her parents thought it was hilarious. It was also Minnie Mouse reaching out for a hug, so it WAS pretty cute.

I have a few kids who's families are religious, and I don't understand those religions, so i'd never put anything on those kids. But, I have a few kids who's parents are covered in tattoos themselves, so...ya...we tattoo those kids occasionally. It's been a long time, but I wouldn't expect a parent to get upset. I'd assume they'd politely say something.

Most people know it comes off easily with oil.
nanglgrl 08:39 PM 07-25-2013
I put an entire sleeve of tattoos on one of my daycare kids. All overlaping and different kinds and it looked awesome. The parents are covered in tats so they loved it. I always ask though before putting anything on a child that they didn't come to daycare with.
Familycare71 04:58 AM 07-26-2013
I can just imagine dcm following dcg around asking: does it burn? Does it itch?

Ya just can't please all the people! I wouldn't have thought to ask either because its easy to remove- learn something new every day!
juliebug 05:09 AM 07-26-2013
I have to agree no adhesive in them. I am allergic to adhesive on band aids and rubber and never had an issue temp tattoos. It's all a learning experance you know now not to do it to this child
Unregistered 05:22 AM 07-26-2013
I waited until my child was 4ish before doing the temporary tattoos. Is it possible the mom was a bit miffed because it is something you got to do with her first. I have heard a mom complaining that her daycare provider painted her daughters nails, and while she knew it was harmless she still felt disappointed that she was not the one who was the first to do it.
itlw8 05:27 AM 07-26-2013
I can see parents point. we do not know what they have planned. pictures.. wedding ....church Yes they come off but not always easily even with baby oil. Plus my grandkids will still have a red mark for 24 hours after it comes off. the ink I guess. Plus the child gets upset mom is taking it off. they will hold it out of the tub to keep it longer LOL

So Yes I would not be happy if I had plans and even If I did not I would say something so it would not be a problem in the future
Starburst 10:12 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I waited until my child was 4ish before doing the temporary tattoos. Is it possible the mom was a bit miffed because it is something you got to do with her first. I have heard a mom complaining that her daycare provider painted her daughters nails, and while she knew it was harmless she still felt disappointed that she was not the one who was the first to do it.
That reminds me of another post they did a while ago on this site when everyone said "Firsts never happen at daycare"- meaning they never tell parents if their babies have their first steps or roll over for the first time at daycare, so they don't take the magic of that "first moment" away from the parents.

I love the idea of the permission form. Never thought of one for temp tattoos/stamps/ or face paint.
coolconfidentme 10:45 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
That reminds me of another post they did a while ago on this site when everyone said "Firsts never happen at daycare"- meaning they never tell parents if their babies have their first steps or roll over for the first time at daycare, so they don't take the magic of that "first" moment away from the parents.
I have a DCB who was standing by himself, first at my daycare. He had most of his first birthday here & will probably walk here first too. He has been with me since he was 3 months old & parents are in custody battle. He is currently living with dad who works 13 hours a day plus commute. He goes home, to eat & sleep. Sad, very sad...
Tags:over reacting, permission slip, tattoo, temporary tattoos
Reply Up