Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Gone Above And Beyond For A DCfamily?
crazydaycarelady 08:26 AM 12-05-2013
(To counteract my reputation as being shallow) I wanted to start a thread about times we have gone above and beyond for our dc families. I'll start:

~ I once lent a dcfamily $1700 so they could complete the refinance on their house.

~ I let a dcm use my Suburban when her car was stuck in the snow.

~ I regularly watch older siblings at a moments notice, day or night, when a new baby is coming.

~ Of course there was the 10 day cruise the parents went on while I watched their 2yo.

~ We let dcd store his utility trailer on our property so he can park his car in his garage.

And most recently:
~ I dry clothes for one dcm when her dryer broke. She would bring them over washed and wet and I would send them home dry and folded.

What have you ladies done that was above and beyond (and maybe even a little crazy) for your dcfamilies?
kelsey's kids 08:39 AM 12-05-2013
I also watch a dcbs will baby sis was born for 5 days straight. Same little ones sis got sick 3 months later and was in the hospital for 2 weeks also had dcbs for the entire time sis was in hospital.
MotherNature 08:44 AM 12-05-2013
oh yes. My first family.. also my first/only term. Let her pay late constantly, to the tune of a month with no pay at all &...$1000 owed she paid at tax time. Came to her house after hours to lend her my jumper cables. Washed her son's clothes here once. Lent her bus money when her car was dead. Gave her groceries a few times. Kept her son late several times with no fee. It did not end well unfortunately.
sharlan 08:47 AM 12-05-2013
Loaned a dcm $2000 when her dh accidently paid their monthly bills twice.

Drove 40 miles to pick up a dcb at 10 PM when dcm started having a miscarriage.

Picked up dcm & dcd when their car broke down in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from my house and took dcm and kids to her mil's another 25 miles out.

Took 3 WEEK old infant on a family vacation so the family could move. (I call her my adopted granddaughter.)

Kept dcb for a solid week while parents went on a cruise.

Rushed dcb & mom to the hospital when dcb drank paint thinner - on Mom's watch, not mine.
crazydaycarelady 08:51 AM 12-05-2013
That reminded me - I once went and picked up a prescription and took it over to a sick dckids house.

I also took the kids with me and we put a planter of flowers on one dcms porch to surprise her, along with a note. She was going through a divorce and needed a pick-me-up! I love doing this kind of thing and she was so appreciative!
TwinKristi 08:59 AM 12-05-2013
~ took DCB to the dr when he was really sick since I had to take my own sick son to the same Dr. He ended up having a major viral issue needed antibiotic injections, bloodwork and another round of oral abx. Then I kept him at my house to nap because his fever started going up again, mom picked him up 30 mins early so she could get blood work done.

~ Dh kept a very sick child (same one, go figure) even though he had a fever of 102.5, mom had us give him Motrin and let him nap here even though I was in the hospital for a staph infection.

I know some people may disagree with keeping sick kids, but the alternative was him doing to work with mom and being sick and miserable there. At least here he could nap and get some well-needed sleep. Sadly this mom is really into her job and has NEVER once in over a year kept him home voluntarily when he was sick. I have sent him home sick numerous times, and she ends up taking him to work with her. Even with pink eye, vomiting, high fever... I don't mind giving them Motrin and letting them sleep here but usually have parents pick up after they nap if they're sick. I have a very small daycare, my son and 2 other boys very close in age. This family has decided to put their DS in Jr Preschool and I just worry myself crazy about how he's going to do there. This poor guy has been sick literally 10 times or more in the last year and I know they're not going to give him Motrin and let him sleep all afternoon if he needs or take him to the dr and get medicine. Sadly I don't think they have a great sick policy there as his sister brings home sicknesses constantly which is why he's been so sick. Now he's going to be getting the germs first hand and I just worry about him socially and emotionally as well. He's not even 2! :-(
BumbleBee 09:19 AM 12-05-2013
Took an infant who was only 3 days old. Long story short, mom was severely depressed and we were all concerned for her & the baby. Born early Friday morning, took him (and his sister who was 2.5) in on Monday at 8am. Mom was admitted to the hospital psych ward for observation. Mom went home 4 days later and we did supervised visits w/her but didn't feel it was safe to be alone w/the kids.

Baby was 6 months old & sister was 3 before they moved home w/mom full time.
Josiegirl 10:25 AM 12-05-2013
Sorry you crazy daycare lady, but I'm too shallow.

I have to say some of you are really nice! I've taken dcks outside of regular daycare hours. I took the dcks with me to drop balloons off for one of my dcms. That's about it. I guess I AM too shallow.
sharlan 10:29 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

I have to say some of you are really nice! I've taken dcks outside of regular daycare hours. I took the dcks with me to drop balloons off for one of my dcms. That's about it. I guess I AM too shallow.
Not necessarily. You do what works for you.
melilley 10:32 AM 12-05-2013
Well, I for one don't think you are shallow!

I haven't really done anything above and beyond, nothing has ever come up for me to do so. I guess the closest thing would be taking one of my dcb's outside of hours so mom and dad didn't have to miss school one evening.

Oh and this week, letting a family pay late and even though I'm livid at the whole situation, my dh said he would wait until Friday to put the check in the bank-even though it was due Mon. and I hesitantly agreed (I had a thread on it yesterday so I won't go into it)

That's about it. You ladies have done some awesome things though!
Lianne 10:36 AM 12-05-2013
I have gone above and beyond in many ways, some listed above and in also in other ways that I can't think of at the moment. Sometimes it's come back to bite me in the ass and sometimes it doesn't. On the flip side, I've had clients go above and beyond for me many times as well.
sharlan 10:37 AM 12-05-2013
I have one family that I took both of their kids to all well baby checks. We had the same pedi. Another family I would take the kids to the pedi for the dad to show up and take over.

I took several of my daycare families (just the kids) camping up in the mountains for a week.

I dropped off one mom at the hospital and then picked her up after her surgery. I kept her at my house so I could keep tabs on her until her dh came home. Their AC was out and it was 110* here that day.

I've always done what I wanted to do, never felt obligated. I knew that my families appreciated what I did for them. The more I felt appreciated, the more I did.
TwinKristi 10:41 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

I don't think so! I think its probably best to NOT go above and beyond sometimes. Like the gift thread touched on, it creates a weird relationship where it's a little too comfortable and then it's less business and more friendship. Then they come to expect these things. That's what I've run into anyway. I have done the things I posted because it was in the best interest for the DCKs not because I wanted something extra. But then once you do these things (like keeping a sick kid one day) then the parent seemed to expect that every time their kid was sick and it just wasn't possible. Especially when I have more than my little crew of 2 or 3. I had 5+ at one point, one who was headed to surgery for tubes the next week and could NOT get sick again. When someone vomits or has diarrhea I don't play nice then and you MUST come NOW get your child. No nap, no meds, come now! But then when that family decides to up and leave, changing your whole plan, it kinda sucks! I feel like I've done a lot for this family and now realize they really don't appreciate it and just expect it now. In the future I won't be going above and beyond because it creates weird feelings. I've allowed the same family to have drop-ins on their 5th day as needed and now that they're moving to preschool, they MAY want to keep using Wednesdays as drop in but I need to figure out a way to tell her I need some commitment on that because if you say Tues AM you'll be here Wednesday and then Tues PM you cancel... I don't like that. I have allowed them to do this in the past and it was a mistake and now they do it all the time. Same with another family I have. They have 3 contracted days but drop in the 4th and 5th day often. I posted another thread about if I should offer them a discount to commit to those 5 days instead of 3 and paying me full price as a drop in. BUT I just don't know how to approach them yet. I keep hoping to get someone 5 days but nothing has been happening! I have an interview tomorrow but its also 3 days and not til March IF I even get the baby!

Anyway, I just rambled and vented a lot but my point is don't think that's shallow of you!
sharlan 11:02 AM 12-05-2013
EVERYONE needs to do what works for them.

If going above and beyond the call of duty doesn't work for you, then please, don't do it. That will only breed resentment. It doesn't make you a bad person or shallow. It makes you who you are and what you are comfortable with.

Years ago, I was very, very involved in most of my daycare families' lives, today, not so much. Actually, today, other than my grandkids, I am not involved in any of my daycare families' lives. I don't go to bd parties or associate with them outside of daycare hours. I don't invite the parents on outings, etc.

I've felt good about the extras I provided. I did them because "I" wanted to.

I also took a dcg to Hawaii for spring break one year when I took my granddaughter. I paid for everything.
CedarCreek 11:08 AM 12-05-2013
I took a very interesting class recently about the difference between providing "cake" and "icing" in your environment. The cake being the basics and the icing being whatever you do to go above and beyond.

For example:

Your kids follow a curriculum that allows then to make crafts. This is cake. The icing would be that you save the very cute things and make a simple "book" out of them to give to the child and parents at the end of the year.

Looking at some of your responses, I'd say you guys are providing cake, icing, and sprinkles with a side of ice cream!!!

Good on you!
Jack Sprat 11:13 AM 12-05-2013
Wow! You guys are the cake, icing, sprinkles and fine china! I thought I was going above and beyond with being tolerant with a DCM and paying me.
Scout 11:16 AM 12-05-2013
I don't think any of you are shallow, it's just not something I would start a thread on as I don't like confrontation or the thought of hurting someone's feelings.

Recently, dcm's bf fell down a flight of stairs and they did not find him until mid afternoon the next day after he didn't show up at work. I offered to keep dcb as late as she needed, on the weekend, whatever she needed free of charge. I also made the bf homemade chicken noodle soup with veggies big enough to take out if he coudn't chew them and pureed a bunch of it as well because his mouth was a mess at the time. I am happy to report that his condition went from critical to being on the road to recovery! I just love this family and didn't even cross my mind to not offer. I would do it for anyone but, would not feel it was appreciated from others, kwim?

And once I agreed to switch to overnight care if dcm's plant went on strike and her schedule would change. I am legally unlicensed so it wouldn't affect anything. I would've had kids here all the time then but, it was about helping her in a crappy situation that thankfully never took place!
Josiegirl 11:27 AM 12-05-2013
Ok wait, I have done some above and beyond things...I took a dcf of 3 kids trick or treating one year because their parents couldn't. I took a 9 month old baby for 10 days, 24/7 and man was it ever hard to give her back at the end.
As far as letting parents pay late, stay late, and all that, I'm simply a big ole pushover anyways.
I don't get asked all that often I guess. One of my former dcf inquired if I was offering a Saturday shopping afternoon this year but I said no. Former is the key word here. One of my current dcfs asked if I could take her dd this Saturday from 5:30 -9:30. I said of course. We'll bake cookies.
Josiegirl 11:33 AM 12-05-2013
Btw, crazylady, my lil 2 1/2 dcg just woke up and crawled into my lap as I scrolled past your scotty dog....she likes your doggy.
Annalee 11:47 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have gone above and beyond in many ways, some listed above and in also in other ways that I can't think of at the moment. Sometimes it's come back to bite me in the ass and sometimes it doesn't. On the flip side, I've had clients go above and beyond for me many times as well.
Not being heartless, but I have learned to make better choices of which clients I can help and which ones I can't.... I stand by the "professional" relationship for the most part, however, FCC is unique in that clients become a part of my own family. I have learned to be careful when crossing the line....because it can backfire!
crazydaycarelady 01:07 PM 12-05-2013
Thank you Josiegirl. I have a real Scottie that is my baby!

I have been watching the St Bernard puppy of one family for 1-2 days per week. If he stays home he has to be in a crate so I have her bring him over here. No skin off my teeth really since I love having the little fellow.
Attached: Captain.jpg (140.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 01:14 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Thank you Josiegirl. I have a real Scottie that is my baby!

I have been watching the St Bernard puppy of one family for 1-2 days per week. If he stays home he has to be in a crate so I have her bring him over here. No skin off my teeth really since I love having the little fellow.
Oh cute!! He looks just like my fur-baby!

How old is he?

crazydaycarelady 01:17 PM 12-05-2013
He is about 5months old now. He gained 14 pounds in one week!!
Blackcat31 01:28 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
He is about 5months old now. He gained 14 pounds in one week!!
Yeah, my DH and I always said if we look long enough we would be able to actually see him growing.

Mine was 5 lbs when we brought him home. 6 months later he was almost 60lbs.

He is now 4 years old and weighs 225lbs.
lovemylife 01:55 PM 12-05-2013
I had one of my daycare girls stay with me for 4 days because her moms husband was on leave from Iraq. They didn't get a honeymoon because he deployed right after the wedding. We also took her the night of the wedding.

I take one of my current daycare kids to church every Wednesday because mom needed a second job and dad works late. We meet at the church. This daycare family is like family!
kathiemarie 02:40 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yeah, my DH and I always said if we look long enough we would be able to actually see him growing.

Mine was 5 lbs when we brought him home. 6 months later he was almost 60lbs.

He is now 4 years old and weighs 225lbs.
OMG... I thought at first you were talking about a DC kid!
I love St. Bernard's. I have always wanted one but I don't think I could handle the drool.
Josiegirl 03:06 PM 12-05-2013
225 #? Oy the dog food and poop scooping....
That pup is really cute though. Ah if they'd only stay little
Meeko 07:30 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
OMG... I thought at first you were talking about a DC kid!
I love St. Bernard's. I have always wanted one but I don't think I could handle the drool.
I had three Saints and they drooled quite a bit. Then we had a Newfoundland...............FREQUENT FLOODING!!!!! But I still miss the big 209lb lug so much it hurts.
Attached: maz5.jpg (79.3 KB) 
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I had three Saints and they drooled quite a bit. Then we had a Newfoundland...............FREQUENT FLOODING!!!!! But I still miss the big 209lb lug so much it hurts.
Oh what a beautiful pup!
Angelsj 10:05 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My sister has two Newfies. I don't know how they keep from slipping constantly. They are never dry.
Reply Up