Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Hide Garage Door
Pandaluver21 07:11 PM 08-25-2017
We recently converted our garage into a classroom, but I hate how the inside of the garage door looks! Other than curtains, do you lovely people have any ideas to make it look better?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...psasjjngak.jpg
Rockgirl 07:14 PM 08-25-2017
We built a wall right up next to our garage door. From inside, you'd never know!
Pandaluver21 07:17 PM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
We built a wall right up next to our garage door. From inside, you'd never know!
That is what my father suggested, but I can't give him a big head :P

To be honest, I love the idea, but we need something that can be done slightly easier for now and probably will go with the wall later.
CalCare 07:19 PM 08-25-2017
Sometimes I see office cubicles for sale on Craigslist in the business section. Idk anything about cubicles. But from what I can tell, it seems like you could put that up as a wall in front of the door? Just a thought that came to mind!?
storybookending 08:56 PM 08-25-2017
The local montesorri school in my area uses their garage space as their "gym" they built a climbing wall to cover the existing garage door. From the outside it looks like a normal garage. On the inside you can't even tell you are in a former garage. I would also cover the flooring with some cheap carpet or linoleum if that is the concrete floor, I cannot tell from the picture.
flying_babyb 10:15 PM 08-25-2017
needs posters on the wall! what about fake wood planks? make it look like a wooden wall.
Rockgirl 08:35 AM 08-26-2017
Can you sew? In a house we lived in years ago, I made part of our garage into a playroom for our own kids. I bought muslin on sale (it's inexpensive anyway), and sewed panels together to make a divider. Not gathered like a curtain, but stretched taut across the wall, if that makes sense. It went floor to ceiling. I think I staple gunned it to the walls and ceiling. You could even paint a mural on it.
Pandaluver21 11:07 AM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Sometimes I see office cubicles for sale on Craigslist in the business section. Idk anything about cubicles. But from what I can tell, it seems like you could put that up as a wall in front of the door? Just a thought that came to mind!?
We actually used to have some, but couldn't take them when we moved :P Though I don't think they would go to the top...

Originally Posted by storybookending:
The local montesorri school in my area uses their garage space as their "gym" they built a climbing wall to cover the existing garage door. From the outside it looks like a normal garage. On the inside you can't even tell you are in a former garage. I would also cover the flooring with some cheap carpet or linoleum if that is the concrete floor, I cannot tell from the picture.
It actually used to be our gym, but I didn't care as much about the door at the time :P The floors are concrete, but we will be having carpet and padding installed!

Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
needs posters on the wall! what about fake wood planks? make it look like a wooden wall.
It is FAR from done, just asking about the garage door. We just finished building the wall on the right of the picture. This is only a small area of the classroom anyhow. Wood paneling is really hard to hang stuff on... my bedroom is covered in it :P

Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Can you sew? In a house we lived in years ago, I made part of our garage into a playroom for our own kids. I bought muslin on sale (it's inexpensive anyway), and sewed panels together to make a divider. Not gathered like a curtain, but stretched taut across the wall, if that makes sense. It went floor to ceiling. I think I staple gunned it to the walls and ceiling. You could even paint a mural on it.
I do sew! I will look into that. Isn't is pretty see-through though?
Rockgirl 11:35 AM 08-26-2017
It is see-through. Our garage door had no windows, so it wasn't an issue.
Pestle 12:03 PM 08-26-2017
Don't do curtains on a wall that size. Your first priority is safety, so make sure whatever you end up using is intended for use as a wallcovering and is fire retardant.

Credential: Certified interior designer with a 4-year degree and 6 years' experience.
Rockgirl 12:06 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Don't do curtains on a wall that size. Your first priority is safety, so make sure whatever you end up using is intended for use as a wallcovering and is fire retardant.

Credential: Certified interior designer with a 4-year degree and 6 years' experience.
Eek--excellent point!
LK5kids 06:51 PM 08-28-2017
How about children's or boughten (or both) artwork hung in each rectangle? I know it wouldn't cover the metal mechanics of the door but that would look cute!
ColorfulSunburst 12:33 PM 08-29-2017
we just remove the garage door

Attached: 22.jpg (100.8 KB) 
Reply Up