Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Was I in the Right to Term?
Smith3 04:57 PM 10-27-2015
So I have been having a hard time gaining kids, because of my area. I only wanted toddlers 2 and up. Well I haven't had the best start, but a mom that lived directly behind me wanted care for her 15mo son. I have a 2.5 year old son as well. He seemed to be okay enough with my son so I accepted to care for him Because I needed kids and the money. All the while I had him I allowed the mom to pay upfront half on Mondays and half on Friday's since she got paid daily and was a single mom. I even lowered my rate for her.

Fast forward to the mom not being good with communicating when I wouldn't have DCB or with WHO was picking him up other than her. She would pick up Late. Referred to me as a babysitter.
VERY persistent with wanting me to watch DCB In her house and other kids as well if I gained more. (probably in hopes of lowering her rate) one time I had to ask almost 30 mins after drop off if I would get DCB because they were late and said he had a fever (he is teething) and was going to the doctor So I would not have him that day. Since he was my only kid me and my Fiancée made plans to run errands. Well later around noon she asks if I could keep him and that he didn't have a fever. (prior to that I said I couldn't keep him the next day If he still had a fever) Well because I wanted the money I told her when I would be home and she said ok and to let her know when I was home. As I am walking up to my apartment she tells me that "because I didnt hear from you my mom has him" after I had been continuously texting with her. Needless to say I was furious because I dropped my plans to come home.

Fast forward to terming her, well I took a one week "vacation" while she was out of state and my Fiancée was in vacation. So a few days before my First day being available I asked if I would have him. No response. The next day I ask again, and nothing. Again. So I send another saying if I dont hear back from her I'll assume she no longer needs my services and have to terminate care. Still nothing. So I moved on and let it be. She's notorious for not replying to messages. Well, guess who showed up knocking on my door that first morning I was available? I let her knock And didnt open it. As I was in bed with back pain.

I feel like I stood my ground and made a point. And still absolutely no word from her. And I have many ways to be contacted. Is it really that hard to reply or send a quick message? Ugh
Thriftylady 05:22 PM 10-27-2015
I would have termed also. I would have probably termed the first time she asked me if I could do care in her home. Because that is an odd request to begin with, and a controlling move on top of that. I also wouldn't have let her pay just when she came, I would have required the contract and payment for slot regardless of attendance.

I know how hard it is, because I am in the situation myself I only have two kiddos. But I refuse to allow anyone to hold me hostage with their money.
Smith3 05:28 PM 10-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would have termed also. I would have probably termed the first time she asked me if I could do care in her home. Because that is an odd request to begin with, and a controlling move on top of that. I also wouldn't have let her pay just when she came, I would have required the contract and payment for slot regardless of attendance.

I know how hard it is, because I am in the situation myself I only have two kiddos. But I refuse to allow anyone to hold me hostage with their money.
Learning the hard way is apparently the way to go. My thing is I can only care for 3 children so its not like I can have a bunch. Im learning to not budge on rates and fees and policies. But when you NEVER get any inquiries its easy to just be a door mat for the money. I love kids, and people take advantage of that.
Thriftylady 05:51 PM 10-27-2015
Originally Posted by Smith3:
Learning the hard way is apparently the way to go. My thing is I can only care for 3 children so its not like I can have a bunch. Im learning to not budge on rates and fees and policies. But when you NEVER get any inquiries its easy to just be a door mat for the money. I love kids, and people take advantage of that.
I am in the same boat really I am. I can have six, but get no calls for months. But if you cave on the important stuff once, they will expect you to cave on everything. I have felt like you at times, but every darn time I cave in it ends in disaster.
Smith3 06:09 PM 10-27-2015
I am in the same boat really I am. I can have six, but get no calls for months. But if you cave on the important stuff once, they will expect you to cave on everything. I have felt like you at times, but every darn time I cave in it ends in disaster.
Sadly its so true. The first time you try to be nice and bend on rules or fees they take that inch and turn it into a mile. Times are hard and money is important and when you're a SAHM your best option is childcare. I've been really upset before because of the situations with different parents and wanted to just stop doing childcare. But, financially me working isnt beneficial. Having a home daycare is great in the sense that you're your own boss and are in control. Childcare would be great if it weren't for the parents lol
Thriftylady 06:29 PM 10-27-2015
Have you read Nannyde's book? I did and I highly recommend it. It really helped me grow a backbone. Of course so did the ladies here, between the two, I have learned to stand up for myself more.
Smith3 07:20 PM 10-27-2015
Have you read Nannyde's book? I did and I highly recommend it. It really helped me grow a backbone. Of course so did the ladies here, between the two, I have learned to stand up for myself more.
No I haven't yet. But have read about it in the forums. How can I go about finding it to read it?
Unregistered 10:39 PM 10-27-2015
I wanted to say yes it can be hard to be tough, I also learned the hard way after people took off constantly with out paying .I even had one child for four years that was suppose come one week never showed never called nothing still till this im shocked about it we were like family very close I always wonder want happened.now I always require payment upfront for years now and yes people pay just fine, but since I really need the money .I just got two calls well Im veryshocked I said they can pay at the end of the week only for the first week I made it very clear only this week.guess what both people no call no show never again will I do that!
284878 04:01 AM 10-28-2015
No I haven't yet. But have read about it in the forums. How can I go about finding it to read it?
Amazon or messaged her on here
Thriftylady 06:18 AM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
Amazon or messaged her on here
You can find it either of those places. I got it for my nook at Barnes and Noble also.
nannyde 07:04 AM 10-28-2015
Daycare Whisperer Doing Daycare: This Job Would be Great if it Wasn't for the Parents! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6H3LLE..._6wnmwb1EGGW2Z
Smith3 09:43 AM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Daycare Whisperer Doing Daycare: This Job Would be Great if it Wasn't for the Parents! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6H3LLE..._6wnmwb1EGGW2Z
Thank you! I read the sample and was hooked! Sadly I dont have a kindle or Amazon account to purchase. And I am not finding it in the Google Play book section.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 10-28-2015
Thank you! I read the sample and was hooked! Sadly I dont have a kindle or Amazon account to purchase. And I am not finding it in the Google Play book section.
You can order a paper copy via Amazon (it's free to set up an account) and/or Barnes and Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dayc...=9781501035845

You can also download a Kindle app for your PC, tablet and/or smart phone so you can read the e-book version.

Just google Kindle reading app.
Smith3 09:58 AM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You can order a paper copy via Amazon (it's free to set up an account) and/or Barnes and Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dayc...=9781501035845

You can also download a Kindle app for your PC, tablet and/or smart phone so you can read the e-book version.

Just google Kindle reading app.
Thanks BC! I'll do that. I must say that I've been reading in these forums for months now and have seen you reply to a lot of threads and have agreed with almost eveyrhing you have said and I love your attitude and view on things. Your back bone is made of steel lol!
Reply Up