Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMG, What Do I Do?
sahm1225 12:20 PM 03-01-2011
I was playing with one of my DCBs 13 mos and chasing him around. He fell right into my plant pot. His tooth fell out!! I put it in milk, held him and cleaned off the blood. He is no longer crying and wants to play.... Omg.

Parents cannot be reached.

Is this an ER visit or a doctor/dentist visit?
SilverSabre25 12:22 PM 03-01-2011
I would call a dentist and ask them. It is probably an emergency dentist visit. I know in my area there are a few dental urgent cares.

In a child so young I don't know that there is anything they can/will do about a tooth that fell completely out.
Autismworld 12:26 PM 03-01-2011
At this age and it being a baby tooth I doubt there is anything that can be done... unless the tooth 'broke' and part of it is still in his mouth? I would call a dentist and just ask what if anything can be done so then you'll also have more information for the parents.
jen 12:31 PM 03-01-2011
It might be worth a call, but I agree with the above...it is just a baby-tooth and there probably isn't much that can be done. Hugs...I know how hard it is when this stuff happens, but it DOES happen.
nikia 12:34 PM 03-01-2011
Deep breaths Its okay accidents happen. I would just call the dentist and see what they say, and try other emergency contacts of the parents.

Hugs, it will be ok.
JenNJ 12:37 PM 03-01-2011
Poor Guy! I would call your pedi or a local pediatric dentist ASAP. Also start calling emergency contacts for this child. Write up an incident report within 24 hours.

I know accidents can be scary. Hang in there. I had a broken bone here last summer from marching. Things happen but you still feel just awful.
grandmom 12:37 PM 03-01-2011
Do you know where they work? Can you call the "main office" number?

Call the emergency contacts you have.

Do you have permission for emergency dental?

Call a dentist, as already suggested.

Sorry. Yes, deep breaths.
missnikki 12:39 PM 03-01-2011
I agree. These thengs happen. Call everyone on the list, and starting tomorrow, get mom/dad to update contact info. I hope he's ok, he is probably just fine.

Make sure you document what happened, give copy to parent and have them sign your copy that says they were notified.
juliebug 12:46 PM 03-01-2011
big hugs to you! yep call the dentist and call parents again
Cat Herder 12:49 PM 03-01-2011
Not to scare you, but I would be required to call my CCR&R and make an injury report.

Document, take pictures, if possible and attach it. Keep you own signed copy.

Keep calling contacts and record times and number of attempts.

God luck, hun...these things do happen. Just cover your bases, too..

How is little one, now? Nowhere near as upset as you , I bet...

Snapping a shot of that big smile may be a good idea, JIC...
Unregistered 01:04 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I was playing with one of my DCBs 13 mos and chasing him around. He fell right into my plant pot. His tooth fell out!! I put it in milk, held him and cleaned off the blood. He is no longer crying and wants to play.... Omg.

Parents cannot be reached.

Is this an ER visit or a doctor/dentist visit?
My son was 2.5 and was running around with a friend at his friends house fell right on his face and had 2 teeth come out. We rushed him to ER, sat there forever to have a doc come in and tell me there was nothing we could do. Then on Monday morning to dentist... there was nothing they could do.. as they are baby teeth. I was scared to death.. but to this day he's still missing the top one (it's about to come threw) and he's 6.5 now.
sahm1225 02:18 PM 03-01-2011
I was able to reach the parents about 20 min after it happened.. Urghh.. This is my favorite family of all of them and I feel horrible! It was an accident, he literally tripped over his own feet. It was just the way he fell that mustve knocked it out.

I showed the mom where we were playing and you can still see the chip on the plant pot and a little bit of blood around it (I plan on taking pics to save for our records).

She was very calm and didnt seem upset at all. She is a nurse, so maybe it was her work-side kicking in. She was actually surprised when I gave her my insurance info.

I just dont want them to think anything bad.... And I really dont want to lose this family, they are the best.

for those of you who have had accidents/injuries - what was the end result (did the parents term over it?)
Lucy 02:30 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Not to scare you, but I would be required to call my CCR&R and make an injury report.
Yes, my rep. told me that we're supposed to report stuff like this. She said it's not for any kind of repercussions to us, it's just that they like to keep stats on injuries in daycare homes. (Why, I don't know!)
daycare 02:44 PM 03-01-2011
my daughter got her two front teeth knocked out at dc when she was little.. they were playing kickball and the ball hit her smack in the mouth.... I went and picked her up took her to the dentist and he just removed the rest of the tooth that remained.

I was not upset, as it was an accident..

I have also had a child who was just learning how to walk fall and have a golf ball size bruise on her forhead. I freaked out, but the parents realized that accidents do happen and that there is no way we can avoid them.....

lol NO more running in the house....................jk
jen 07:34 AM 03-02-2011
Update? How did it go with Mom and Dad?
momofboys 09:01 AM 03-02-2011
I'm glad it turned out okay & mom did not seem upset. Accidents happens so don't beat yourself up!

Why would you provide insurance info? It was an accident. If it happened at school (my son was accidently hit in the head with a tennis racket in gym class several weeks ago & i had to take him to urgent care for stitches & later for a follow-up appt) I never made the school pay for his stitches/dr visit! I think it's the parents' responsibility!
nikia 09:09 AM 03-02-2011
I was able to reach the parents about 20 min after it happened.. Urghh.. This is my favorite family of all of them and I feel horrible! It was an accident, he literally tripped over his own feet. It was just the way he fell that mustve knocked it out.

I showed the mom where we were playing and you can still see the chip on the plant pot and a little bit of blood around it (I plan on taking pics to save for our records).

She was very calm and didnt seem upset at all. She is a nurse, so maybe it was her work-side kicking in. She was actually surprised when I gave her my insurance info.

I just dont want them to think anything bad.... And I really dont want to lose this family, they are the best.

for those of you who have had accidents/injuries - what was the end result (did the parents term over it?)
I had a little girl who was climbing on a chair, she slipped and the chair fell over and broke her toe. The chair is one of those taller bar chairs, very heavy. I was standing on the other side of the counter and just couldnt grab the chair. This was over a year ago, family is still here and I still feel awful that I didnt grab the chair. Sorry to say I still feel awful, but I do. Mom laughs about it now, I on the other hand always say how bad I still feel. I think when it happens under out watch it is just hard to not feel like we should have done something different to prevent our daycare kids from getting hurt, but accidents are a part of life.
mickey2 10:37 AM 03-02-2011
So sorry this happened on your watch!

I had a child when he was 2 slip and fall while we were singing and dancing to music. I was watching him and I saw it happen. There was absolutely nothing I could do to stop it. He face planted full face on my floor. I thought he had broken his nose. It swelled so bad but was not broken. He had 2 big black eyes and a swollen nose for days. I freaked! I had only had this little boy in my care for a few months when this happened. I know exactly how you must have felt and still feel.

I have had this family for 5 years now and this child is now in school. I care for his baby brother now and Mom and dad still laugh and tease me about me giving their son 2 black eyes to this day.

Unfortunately accidents happen and most parents know this and understand.
lil angels 10:53 AM 03-02-2011
I had a little boy hit his face on a rocking chair when we were dancing and he bit right through his bottom lip mom came and took him in and brought him right back they glued it instead of stitches so it wouldn't scar. That same little boy ate a mushroom out of my back yard so i called poison control and at that time was told to give ipicac syrup. So I called mom and she asked if she would like her to come my DH was home so he helped me. Those are my big ones that I can think of things happen and it stinks but what do you do.
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 03-02-2011
I am sorry this happened to you...but obviously from all the posts on here accidents do happen to the best of us....we can do our best, but the reality of it is that kids do get hurt.

Just this fall, I was outside with my kids and I noticed two dcb's (soon to be Kindergarteners) playing on the top of my Little Tikes castle. I reminded them that they are not to climb on the top of it and should get down. One boy says to the other "Yeah, Adam, race you down!" and started scrambling to be first. Well, in the race.....Adam broke his arm. Started school with a cast on......the boys were great friends and had both been here since birth so no one was angry or upset....s**t just happens sometimes.

Both boys are still good friends and neither family thought anything of the whole situation. It was simple playing and could've happened anywhere. We can't bubble wrap our children...although it would be nice...and as a parent we need to remember all the things we did as kids.........
sahm1225 05:25 PM 03-05-2011
the DCBs family was very understanding and appreciated when I offered to pay for the dentist visit.

The tooth was not put back in. He looks so cute with his toothless smile!

That was my first big injury and I think I remained calm... Although I did cry that night, I was so afraid of the family leaving me! They are truly my favorite family (always pay on time, never late, never push back on any policies, super appreciative, and just plain nice!).
Candyland 10:57 PM 03-05-2011
Awww; I'm so glad things turned out very well!
QualiTcare 11:11 PM 03-05-2011
the DCBs family was very understanding and appreciated when I offered to pay for the dentist visit.

The tooth was not put back in. He looks so cute with his toothless smile!

That was my first big injury and I think I remained calm... Although I did cry that night, I was so afraid of the family leaving me! They are truly my favorite family (always pay on time, never late, never push back on any policies, super appreciative, and just plain nice!).
awesome! i'm glad it turned out well.

my most horrifying experience was when a 1 year old i was keeping climbed out of his highchair while we were outside, stood on top of the tray, and fell backwards to hit his head on the concrete while i was running toward him. i was scared....to...DEATH!

to make it worse - it was his FIRST day! i told his mom about it when she picked up and she was like, "oh yeah, i meant to tell you he can get out of his highchair." i've never seen a kid do that! i hardly even use highchairs, but i had a new puppy at the time and needed to let her out to pee so i thought he'd be fine sitting there watching the puppy for a minute, but apparently he wanted to join in on the action!

scary, scary, scary! there's a different heartbeat when something happens with your own kid and when something happens with a dck and i honestly don't know which one is worse.
Hunni Bee 05:52 PM 03-06-2011
I had a little girl knock her tooth out...She and another little girl were playing on one of those Little Tikes teeter-totters and the other girl got off abruptly, causing the first girl to slip off too and hit her mouth on the edge of it. I freaked out because there was blood...but her family was not upset at all...turns out the tooth was rotten and so was the the one next to it (which is why it came out so easily) so the dentist just removed the other one too.
Tags:broken tooth, injury
Reply Up