Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Pay Structure
momofboys 03:36 PM 03-28-2011
Some background:. . . I turned down a job outside of the home to stay with my current family (I only care for 1) in January. I sort of regret it now. At the time current family begged & pleaded with me to keep watching their kids. It was kind of an ego trip to say the least BUT now I think it is/was more about the inconvenience it would have created for them to have me quit.

Parents also "promised" they would always need me, lol! (like they can guarantee that!). Anyway, parents also began paying me more b/c they said if they changed to someone else the rates they know would be higher. That was nice & I did appreciate it. Now fast forward a few months.

Parents seem to want a "discount" when they don't come everyday. Not a good thing. In the past I had honored that & allowed them to pay based on the # of days they needed (usually they do need 5 days/week but maybe 1week a month they only need 3-4 days/week & if they let me know a few weeks ahead of time I was okay with it). Because I have allowed it in the past I feel like I have to honor it now. How do I go about changing their contract? Do I re-write it saying parent needs to pay the full amount whether they are here or not? I guess it makes me upset b/c I turned down more pay for less hours & now when they don't need me everyday they expect a discount. Can I have some help with how to reword my contract? Thank you!
Abigail 04:31 PM 03-28-2011
I would create a new contract completely and handbook if needed. Are you currently advertising so you can increase your income? Are you afraid this current family might leave if you give them a new contract?
daycare 05:05 PM 03-28-2011
I would tell the family exactly what you told us. That you turned down the job to care for their kids and you rely on consistent income. Tell them if you can't rely on it you might be forced to look for other kids to add or another job out of the house.

I'm sure they would understand
MN Day Mom 05:17 PM 03-28-2011
I agree that you should just tell them what you said here... you turned down more money to continue helping their family and because of this you need to update your contract to state that you get paid for any and all child absences. This way you determine your income, not them.
nikia 05:56 PM 03-28-2011
I thought you took another job and were going to quit after your vacation? Maybe I am thinking of someone else I agree about telling them what you stated on here too
momofboys 06:20 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
I thought you took another job and were going to quit after your vacation? Maybe I am thinking of someone else I agree about telling them what you stated on here too

Yep, that was me!!!! I did get another job (about two weeks or so ago) but I ended up turning it down (after I accepted it!!!). Unfortunately after figuring out the cost to put my pre-schooler in FT childcare & paying for after-school care for my school-agers, coupled with gas (25 min drive each way) I would have only ended up making $80 more week than I am making now. It just didn't seem worth it even though it was a job in my field of study. I guess I am just discouraged. I want it all! I guess I just have a hard time talking $$ with people. It would be tough for me to have a "money conversation" & by me changing my contract it will look like I am a money-hungry mom.
When do you begin your new job? Are you excited/nervous?
nikia 06:25 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Yep, that was me!!!! I did get another job (about two weeks or so ago) but I ended up turning it down (after I accepted it!!!). Unfortunately after figuring out the cost to put my pre-schooler in FT childcare & paying for after-school care for my school-agers, coupled with gas (25 min drive each way) I would have only ended up making $80 more week than I am making now. It just didn't seem worth it even though it was a job in my field of study. I guess I am just discouraged. I want it all! I guess I just have a hard time talking $$ with people. It would be tough for me to have a "money conversation" & by me changing my contract it will look like I am a money-hungry mom.
When do you begin your new job? Are you excited/nervous?
I start after my two week vacation which starts next Tuesday. Its a job I have had before at the same company with the same boss so I know what to expect. I am excited and yet nervous because of being home so long I worry that I may have forgotten a lot of it.

That stinks about the job, hopefully your daycare family can understand that you need to have your income and wont give you a hard time about it. I hate talking money with people too, its just nerve racking to me having a backbone even though I know it is needed time to time
Tags:discount, pay structure
Reply Up