Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family That Is ALWAYS Late Picking Up
sahm2three 08:22 AM 12-09-2010
I close at 5. My latest family, the one always late, mom gets off at 5. We live in a small town, it takes NO LONGER than 10 minutes to get from one side of town to the other. I give them until 5:15 to pick up. Maybe one day a week they pick up on time, or early. Yesterday it was 5:45!!!! I was TICKED OFF! My evenings are short, my days are long. I enjoy my family time. At least 2 to 3 nights a week we are running out the door as soon as dcb leaves. So, last night was church. My son has to be there at 6. So, with dcb there, we had to hurry and eat, with dcb BEGGING for food. I called mom at 5:22 asking if someone was picking X up. She thought dc dad was picking him up. He hadn't come home from work yet, and she was working late. So finally, TWENTY THREE minutes later, she shows up!!! I told her that they HAVE to pick up on time. I value my family time, and the evenings are very short! She apologized and said it won't happen again. I have done the late fee thing. There have been days when they have paid late fees for 3 days in one week!!! It is getting old. I love the dcb to death, and don't want to lose him, and they are having a baby in May, but I am learning that my family time is worth WAY more to me than a paycheck. So we will see how this week goes....any advice?
jen 08:33 AM 12-09-2010
How much are your late fees? I started charging my chronic late Mom $1 per minute. For a few weeks in a row, I got between $30 and $50 per week extra, it didn't take long for her to decide it wasn't worth it and find a friend or relative to pick up for her...ON TIME.
Live and Learn 08:37 AM 12-09-2010
raise the late fee.....SUBSTANTIALLY!!!!....I used to have 1 dc family who ran late regularly.....a member of my family actually.... I let it be known to all my dc families that my own child's music lesson started promptly at 4:20 and that I was charged for the class whether my child made it there or not so that my new late fee would be the cost of the class....I can't remember the exact cost...$35 or $40 I think. They had to pay it once and that solved that problem.....
E Daycare 08:39 AM 12-09-2010
I know EXACTLY how you feel about family time! Its your home, you have dinner, errands, down time with family to tend to and thats how I feel too. I had a issue with this once so I implemented my contract. It states that for every 15 minutes past 5:30 that a parent runs late I charge $4.00. This is if I was not informed ahead of time. If I agree ahead of time then it is $2.00 every 15 minutes. They were not aware that I would A)print up and highlight that area of my contract, B) issue a "overtime rate" notice and C) ACTUALLY charge them almost $20.00 extra for that day. Since money is tight for them that nipped it in the rear right away and they are here right at 5:30 on the dot.

I dont know if you feel right charging extra but I did and that adds up quick. So because the goofy father took his sweet time going to his buddies after work it cost mommy a extra $20. I have issues with the mornings now so Im thinking of charging for extra early/schedules all over the place care too. See if the extra amount Id charge them is really worth them coming and going as they please. If not and they want to continue this happy fun time come and go then there is a happy fun time daycare down the street that charges twice as much as I do for care.
momofboys 08:39 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
How much are your late fees? I started charging my chronic late Mom $1 per minute. For a few weeks in a row, I got between $30 and $50 per week extra, it didn't take long for her to decide it wasn't worth it and find a friend or relative to pick up for her...ON TIME.
I agree with Jen. If your fee is maybe only $5 or $10 it may not mean enough to her. $1 minute may do it! I know I wouldn't want to pay that! Money talks so try it.
sahm2three 09:06 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
They are $10 for every 15 mins late. Centers in a town near mine charges $10 per MINUTE!!! WOW!
sahm2three 09:07 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I agree with Jen. If your fee is maybe only $5 or $10 it may not mean enough to her. $1 minute may do it! I know I wouldn't want to pay that! Money talks so try it.
Well, for her 30 mins late it was $20. Not enough?
Live and Learn 09:41 AM 12-09-2010
If it were me I would double your late fee.
if they are paying the late fee 3 times in one week then your late fee isn't enough. Raise it until it hurts and makes them think " wow, I don't want to pay that late fee. I had better pick up on time."
Abigail 11:16 PM 12-09-2010
If they can make it by 5:15 like you said since your city is small then you should start late fees at 5:15. Do $1 per minute. If they pick up at 5:30 this should be a $15 late fee. It will add up for you! Make sure to state that if you abuse the hours contracted that you may have to raise rates or you may terminate. This could be enough of a threat to have them abide by the rules they agreed to in the first place.

The other option is to require her to have someone else MUST pick up promply at 5:00 pm and state that your licensing hours end at 5:00 pm or you would be operating illegally--which insist you will not do for various reasons. Suggest they find someone else to pick up by 5:00 or sooner. Then, you can also add late fees if they still don't get picked up on time and those late fees should be double of what they currently are so it sounds more serious. If this is your ONLY family staying this late, I'm sure they could find someone to pick up the kid on time or ealier if it is a family member or babysitter who will do it. Good luck! Let us know how this week goes.
jen 05:40 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Well, for her 30 mins late it was $20. Not enough?
It's not enough until it stops the behavior. If $20 doesn't work, move to $30, keep on going until she gets it together. **Disclaimer: This may cost you a client. If you don't want them gone, you might have to take it.**
Unregistered 03:34 AM 09-03-2014
She needs to have a back up plan if she cant make it there ontime ... if you keep them till 515 - add a fee - Ill do this for you for $5 more but any minute after 5:15 will be $1 per minute based on my clock!!!
Meyou 04:31 AM 09-03-2014
I charge $2/MINUTE for late pickups AND I meet them in the driveway with their child all ready to go. This increase has all but stopped my late pickups but when there is a late I make enough cash from it that it bothers me less. I would have made $90 from that late pickup.

I know other members on here have a 3 strike you're out late policy. First offense - $25 Second offense - $50 Third offense - termination.

I think you need to get tougher and charging them more.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 09-03-2014
OLD thread

Relevant topic but old thread.
SignMeUp 08:17 AM 09-03-2014
...zombie thread...
Attached: 15626288-3d-cartoon-halloween-zombie.jpg (35.1 KB) 
renodeb 01:02 PM 09-03-2014
I would say a dollar a minute! It really should be enough to be more of a diversion than them actually paying it! I would up the fee for sure! I 'am off to softball with my daughter almost every evening after dc so it's important that they leave on time!
Tags:2010, late fees, late pickup
Reply Up