Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PSA. Off Topic - Lawnmowers
laundrymom 09:38 AM 06-03-2015
PSA::
Remember to wear REAL SHOES when mowing. Not sandals or flops. Today our mower blade and the shaft it's mounted on sheared off, flew out from under the mower deck and landed about four feet in front of the mower. Quite quickly.

Thank you God for sending it in front of, instead of behind, the mower.
My seventeen year old was mowing.
Play Care 09:45 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Remember to wear REAL SHOES when mowing. Not sandals or flops. Today our mower blade and the shaft it's mounted on sheared off, flew out from under the mower deck and landed about four feet in front of the mower. Quite quickly.

Great reminder! And glad no one was hurt!
Josiegirl 10:04 AM 06-03-2015
Oh no??!! I'm glad your 17 yo is okay!!!
I didn't even know blades and shafts could do that. Eeks....
Blackcat31 10:20 AM 06-03-2015

Wow! That's crazy.... Usually the shaft the blade is mounted on is the crankshaft for the motor so it seems odd that it would shear off like that and send the blade flying.... I'd think about contacting the manufacturer and let them know...it could be a recall or defect they need to be aware of.

Hubs wants to know what brand lawn mower you have. We're in the market for a new one for daycare and want to make sure we don't buy that type.

He said post pictures too if you have them....he is fascinated by the fact that that happened!

Thank God your son is okay!!!
I couldn't imagine how horrible it could have been.
laundrymom 10:31 AM 06-03-2015
I'm on my phone. I can't figure out how to post the pics. Help?
DaveA 10:35 AM 06-03-2015
Glad your son is ok. I had a batchhold (farm brush mower) have a shaft failure like that & it drove the blade almost through a 4" hedge fence post. Scary as all get out.
Blackcat31 10:36 AM 06-03-2015
I'm on my phone. I can't figure out how to post the pics. Help?
I suppose you are using the "light" version of the forum? If so, I don't think you can upload picture...or if you can...I don't know how to do it.

If you are using safari or your phones browser, you can just click the paperclip icon and an upload window opens on a new page. Once you choose from your photo library, you can close the window and the post page will still be there with the attachment.
laundrymom 10:42 AM 06-03-2015
I tried the paper clip. But it keeps crashing the second I hit it. I did get them uploaded to an album.
I bought the mower for 239 at rural king about 8-12 years ago. Brigs and Stratton motor. I've not been kind to it. But she was just mowing grass. Just about four inches high. Scared the skittles out of her. That's for sure. I thought the blade just came off but nope. Sheared that shaft diagonally. Right at the point it exits the motor. Like someone macheted it off. Samari style.
laundrymom 10:44 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I suppose you are using the "light" version of the forum? If so, I don't think you can upload picture...or if you can...I don't know how to do it.

If you are using safari or your phones browser, you can just click the paperclip icon and an upload window opens on a new page. Once you choose from your photo library, you can close the window and the post page will still be there with the attachment.
Did this work?
Attached: image.jpg (238.1 KB) 
laundrymom 10:45 AM 06-03-2015
And the seventeen yr old
Attached: image.jpg (52.7 KB) 
Leigh 10:53 AM 06-03-2015
Wow! That's crazy.... Usually the shaft the blade is mounted on is the crankshaft for the motor so it seems odd that it would shear off like that and send the blade flying.... I'd think about contacting the manufacturer and let them know...it could be a recall or defect they need to be aware of.

Hubs wants to know what brand lawn mower you have. We're in the market for a new one for daycare and want to make sure we don't buy that type.

He said post pictures too if you have them....he is fascinated by the fact that that happened!

Thank God your son is okay!!!
I couldn't imagine how horrible it could have been.
I suggest a Honda. We've tried Snapper, Lawn Boy, John Deere, the higher end MTD's...Honda is the best of all that we've had.
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 06-03-2015
Did this work?
Yep, worked perfect! Hubby says holy crap!

Your daughter is lucky. Your lawnmower, not so much!

If it's not that old, he said he'd definitely be letting the manufacture know.

And the seventeen yr old
I can't believe I automatically assumed your 17 yr old lawn mower was your DS and not your DD.....

I am the lawn mower in my family too so NO IDEA where that stereotyping error came from...

She's beautiful too, by the way!
laundrymom 11:56 AM 06-03-2015
Lol. It's ok. It's the first day of summer break so I had a whole
Day of lawn work planned for her and the 14 yr sister. And then the mower broke. Grrrrr. So she baked. And made buckwheat pancakes for lunch.

And thank you. I think she ok. I didn't post the pic I wanted. Lol. The thumbnails on my phone are too small. The one I posted is the one they retouched and I think it's cartoonish. Lol.

Yep, worked perfect! Hubby says holy crap!

Your daughter is lucky. Your lawnmower, not so much!

If it's not that old, he said he'd definitely be letting the manufacture know.

I can't believe I automatically assumed your 17 yr old lawn mower was your DS and not your DD.....

I am the lawn mower in my family too so NO IDEA where that stereotyping error came from...

She's beautiful too, by the way!

daycarediva 03:52 PM 06-03-2015
THAT'S CRAZY! I'm the lawn mower in the family and my husband yells at me for rigging the leaf blower thing off the side. It clogs, is a PITB, so I open it. I may close it now.

So glad your beautiful daughter was unharmed!
laundrymom 07:52 PM 06-03-2015
Hubs says the motor blew and the crankshaft sheared when it did? At least that's his guess from the sound re-creation from our daughter. Lol
We have a new mower and and will try again tomorrow. I'm setting the old one out in the alley for the scrap man to snatch up.
Yard chores are how she pays car insurance. Lol
momofsix 05:37 AM 06-04-2015
That is crazy! So glad your daughter didn't get hurt-it could have been a serious injury and your family has had enough medical drama for a while!
laundrymom 07:35 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I suggest a Honda. We've tried Snapper, Lawn Boy, John Deere, the higher end MTD's...Honda is the best of all that we've had.
Old motor was Honda but that thing ran like a champ for 10 years. Well, until it didn't. Lol.
Tags:lawn maintenance, lawnmowers
Reply Up