Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kindergarten Prom ?
Silly Songs 01:34 AM 06-18-2015
Are you kidding ? I just read about this on a website. This has gone too far !
bklsmum 02:43 AM 06-18-2015
IMO this crap is more for the parents than the kids.
mommiebookworm 05:44 AM 06-18-2015
my initial thought was wth?
Mom o Col 06:01 AM 06-18-2015
That's ridiculous. How is a high school prom special if you already had one in kindergarten? Silly nonsense more for parents than kids. Not to mention it's another way of making them grow up faster. Little kids should be little kids as long as possible.
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Are you kidding ? I just read about this on a website. This has gone too far !
The trending thing in my area lately is graduation parties for ALL grades....

I got 2 invitations to graduation parties (exactly like the kids graduating 12th grade) but these invites were for a 2nd grader child and the other was a 7th grade child.

Now don't get me wrong...there have been a few kids over the last few years that I seriously wondered if they would make it beyond elementary school so I can "kind of" understand the need to celebrate () but seriously ...
Shell 06:10 AM 06-18-2015
It's ridiculous! When I used to teach pre-k and k, the centers always made us have graduation ceremonies- fine. But, I drew the line at the caps and gown. It would make my director furious, but I felt it was a total waste of money that could be better spent on art supplies, toys, etc.
Unregistered 07:38 AM 06-18-2015
My son's preschool has one every year. They have been having them for years.
Local schools also have an 8th grade prom.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son's preschool has one every year. They have been having them for years.
Local schools also have an 8th grade prom.
I forgot to add my dogs daycare also has a doggie prom. The dogs get all dressed up, they get matched up with a partner for prom pictures ect... Doggie prom days are very popular.
Unregistered 12:14 PM 06-18-2015
Desensitizes the kids.
Nothing to wait for. Nothing to look forward to.
I hate our culture!
childcaremom 12:21 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
That's ridiculous. How is a high school prom special if you already had one in kindergarten? Silly nonsense more for parents than kids. Not to mention it's another way of making them grow up faster. Little kids should be little kids as long as possible.
It is crazy. My son had a prom for grade 9 grad (last year of junior high). I thought that was crazy but was in the minority.

Our girls are in elementary and they have school dances. I don't agree with those, either and my girls don't go. Well, that and parents are required to stay. Um, no. In my world, dances are for junior high or high school and parents do not need (or want) to be there.
Thriftylady 03:14 PM 06-18-2015
I think it is getting crazy. We had a grade 9 prom, but that was when we he JR. high and so were moving to HS. But we had tons of rules with it. They limited us to no strapless dresses, no tuxs etc. saying we would have that to look forward to later. Our HS limits prom to Juniors and Seniors.

I agree it is all to much. Many things such as a graduation were (and still should be) kind of like a rite of passage. I have been against all graduations before the real HS one, based on the fact it should be because you worked so hard to get there. I see kindy graduations now, kids don't work so hard to finish kindy lol. One year is nothing, 13 is a big deal!
jgcp 03:54 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Desensitizes the kids.
Nothing to wait for. Nothing to look forward to.
I hate our culture!
I totally agree. I hate how things are today. Nothing is special anymore, every kid should have what everyone else has includeing a graduation and prom at 6? so dumb. I made the mistake of telling my friend that a graduation for kinder takes it to far for me... haha she just had her little girl go through one and of course it was made to be a big ol deal I hate the idea of homeschooling but it looks more and more appealing all the time
DaveA 05:00 AM 06-19-2015
Yikes. I have a DCM who would be completely overboard with this.

Not to make a "guy thing" statement, but this is the definition of what you get when you have too many moms with way the @#%& too much time on their hands.
pandamom 06:04 AM 06-19-2015
Crazy. My twins are going to kindly next year. If there were a kindly prom, we'd stay home and do some cool activities. No way am I shelling out money for a dance for my 5 or 6 year olds!! They wouldn't even understand what was going on and assume it was someone's birthday party haha
Laurel 08:19 AM 06-19-2015
Wow, I had no idea all this was going on except the preschool and kindergarten 'graduations'. I always thought they were ridiculous.

Laurel
Reply Up