Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For the Providers on Facebook...
anya 08:41 PM 08-08-2011
So I have a family that is holding a spot to start in Sept, we've been in contact recently about them setting up some visiting days to start getting their little one acquainted with me and the space and such. I randomly received a facebook friends request from the father. Not the mother, whom I'm in contact with primarily, just the father. I've thought about adding families on facebook and usually do if I've been working for them and they add me, but I've never had a request so soon before starting care and I just feel kinda awkward..

How do you handle facebook and work? Are you friends with your families that are on there? Do you have a business page and direct them all there and keep your personal page private? If you do have a business page, are you able to post pictures privately to families or is it more for advertising?

Thanks!
Michael 09:58 PM 08-08-2011
Maybe the other members will add to this. I believe you can set your pictures and members level of privacy. Be it public, private or friends.
littlemissmuffet 10:08 PM 08-08-2011
I don't mix business and pleasure. My fb privacy is set so I don't even show up in searches... no parents have found me on fb or attempted to "friend" me. If they did I would just let them know that my personal fb is part of my private life and doesn't mesh with my professional life. If they can't or don't want to handle that then so be it - but it's my life and I make the rules
AnneCordelia 03:31 AM 08-09-2011
I also don't mix the two.
Squirrel 05:06 AM 08-09-2011
I've friended families on facebook but have since set up a business site and direct the new ones there. I have my business site 100% open for advertising. I have permission slips from the parents regarding using their child's picture on facebook and on my website. I don't use the children's names on either.
Crazy8 05:31 AM 08-09-2011
I have a few current and former daycare families on FB and I kind of wish I didn't - especially after I read a thread on here about how a mom was mad her provider was posting about "looking forward to the weekend", or "having a rough week" type posts. I post that stuff all the time.
If I could do it over I wouldn't have friended them. You could make your wall and photos private from them but I'm of the mentality of why add me if you are going to block me from viewing your page??
I have a business page but I don't find it working too well for me - in order to invite people to it they need to be on my friends list. And it is public - you can not set photos to private on a business page.
SilverSabre25 05:38 AM 08-09-2011
I created a second Facebook account just for my daycare--it's a regular account, using my business email address and my business name instead of my real name. It's set VERY private, and the parents know this. I post updates of what we eat, what we do, pictures of the kids playing, etc. I invite families to it once they've enrolled and paid their registration fee...when a family leaves I will unfriend them. Nothing personal; the page is just for current clients.
Crazy8 05:40 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I created a second Facebook account just for my daycare--it's a regular account, using my business email address and my business name instead of my real name. It's set VERY private, and the parents know this. I post updates of what we eat, what we do, pictures of the kids playing, etc. I invite families to it once they've enrolled and paid their registration fee...when a family leaves I will unfriend them. Nothing personal; the page is just for current clients.
I tried that once - it wouldn't let me. I think it recognized my name wasn't a "real" name.
Cat Herder 05:42 AM 08-09-2011
You can put people in "groups" and assign which groups can see what on facebook. The problem comes in when they change the privacy settings and options so much that there are constantly breaches. IMHO, It is too risky if you don't want your worlds colliding.

I have two separate accounts. One for my Daycare and one for Friends/Family/Co-Workers. It is just better that way.

I did not get a business page, though, since I preferred the layout of a personal one. I just used ***** Daycare as my "first" and "last" name.

I post what curriculum we are doing that week, what parties are coming up, funny anecdotes, educational articles for parents, awesome sale/product info and hundreds of photos of my daycare kids.
SilverSabre25 05:48 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I tried that once - it wouldn't let me. I think it recognized my name wasn't a "real" name.
I had to play around with it...took me seven or eight tries before I managed to get an arrangement it accepted. My daycare name is "Lastname Family Child Care" and I had to put it in as "Lastname-Family Child-Care" to get it to accept it.
littlemommy 06:01 AM 08-09-2011
I just started a family last week. A few hours after my first interview with them, I checked fb and the dad had tried adding me. I declined. The only parent I have added on fb is the father of on my the girls, who is friends with my husband. He is overseas now, so it is kind of nice to have some contact with him.

Other than that, I haven't had other parents try and add me. If they did, I would decline.
CheekyChick 06:47 AM 08-09-2011
I have a Facebook page for my business. It is open to everyone who wants to view it - so in a sense it is for advertising. It is mainly for my parents because I post new pictures, reminders, etc. I also get friend requests from grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. My families LOVE it.
MarinaVanessa 07:16 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
Make a FB for your daycare as a "Group". It's primarily for businesses and organizations. You can switch back and forth from your personal account to your business account using the "Account" then "Use FB as page" link on your upper right hand tab in FB. Then you click on your daycares profile.

To create one go here, then click the green "Create a Page" button, then click "Company, Organization or Institution". Choose a category (I put mine under Education) and then Type in your business name and agree to the terms. Once that's done you can edit your page.

The only thing is that you can't "request friends". You have to tell your DK parent's to find your page and "like" it. Then they can get updates each time that you post something.
JaydensMommy 07:33 AM 08-09-2011
I also have a separate business page for my daycare. I do use it to advertise and also have parents that get on there to look at pictures of the kids. I wouldn't accept a friend request on my facebook page from a parent.
Google Apps for Day Care 07:53 AM 08-09-2011
I like to think of my online world as an extension of my offline world. I tend not to mix personal and business offline and thus try to do the same with my online activities. Adjusting your settings in FB (and monitoring for changes) is OK, but where possible, I lean toward creating separate business pages/accounts.
Crazy8 10:18 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Make a FB for your daycare as a "Group". It's primarily for businesses and organizations. You can switch back and forth from your personal account to your business account using the "Account" then "Use FB as page" link on your upper right hand tab in FB. Then you click on your daycares profile.

To create one go here, then click the green "Create a Page" button, then click "Company, Organization or Institution". Choose a category (I put mine under Education) and then Type in your business name and agree to the terms. Once that's done you can edit your page.

The only thing is that you can't "request friends". You have to tell your DK parent's to find your page and "like" it. Then they can get updates each time that you post something.
oh, I do have a business page - but anyone can "like" it, you can't invite people who aren't on your friends list (aside from just giving them the link)and you can't make photos private, etc. so its much more limited than a personal page. I did create a "group" too - I know you can do a little more with the privacy settings on that one but I haven't played with it much yet.
countrymom 10:26 AM 08-09-2011
I wouldn't do it, then your going to feel like your daycare never ends. And what happens when you get rid of a parent but they have already seen pictures of the kids and what you do all day, it can get risky. I have one mom that is my friend on fb, we are really good friends and hang out all the time, the kids get along really good, and she has a sick sense of humour so its great, but I just can't imagine other parents seeing what she posts on fb, some just don't have that kind of humour.
laundrymom 11:12 AM 08-09-2011
I have some parents on mine and some not.
Mom_of_two 11:26 AM 08-09-2011
Once I get to know a family if I feel comfortable I tell them to go ahead and 'friend me' if it every comes up. I never 'friend' them first- up to them. I don't share things on FB i wouldn't tell them, so it doesn't matter. i feel like it allows them to see a little more of my world and who I am, which is a good thing.

ETA- I would not accept the dad's request just yet. I would get to know the family first. I have two young girls etc, tight now that guy is just a man you don't know- safety first!
Stacy214 12:30 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Mom_of_two:
Once I get to know a family if I feel comfortable I tell them to go ahead and 'friend me' if it every comes up. I never 'friend' them first- up to them. I don't share things on FB i wouldn't tell them, so it doesn't matter. i feel like it allows them to see a little more of my world and who I am, which is a good thing.

ETA- I would not accept the dad's request just yet. I would get to know the family first. I have two young girls etc, tight now that guy is just a man you don't know- safety first!

This is me too, I just have 4 children all of who's parents r pretty close too me. I'm going to be a grandmother in a couple of weeks and they have really felt apart of my family and all the excitement. I will post pictures but also have set my privacy so where you can't find me . And I never add random people or friends of friends.
SandeeAR 02:47 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I do this also, however, I don't list the meals and constant updates. Mainly use it to update photos for parents. I extend the "friends" to family members and friends of the family that the current client approves. I also have a couple of my personal friends on there, that send me referrals from time to time.

I do have a couple of my parents on my personal fb page, but we were personal friends before I started doing daycare.
anya 06:15 PM 08-09-2011
Thanks for all the input ladies, I definitely didn't want to add him without even having started working with them yet, who knows what they are like, but it led me to wonder about setting up a separate page. Your suggestions are great, I hadn't thought of setting up a regular page so I'd have more control over privacy etc, I really like that idea. And it'd really be for sharing photos/fun updates/articles/reminders with parents more than advertising anyway, so I think I'll do that. Thanks!
Tags:advertising, facebook, holding spot
Reply Up