Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tylenol Because It's... THURSDAY!
Soupyszoo 07:47 AM 03-08-2012
Yep! She did it again...

At drop off dcm told me she gave dcb more Tylenol this morning for his runny nose

Now... How to address this with her?? Any suggestions?
PitterPatter 07:51 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
Yep! She did it again...

At drop off dcm told me she gave dcb more Tylenol this morning for his runny nose

Now... How to address this with her?? Any suggestions?
I would print out the dangers of overdosing and dosing without need and give it to her at pick up. Tell her you really adore DCK and dont want to see anything happen.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 03-08-2012
I am thinking this is something you need to report to CPS.

Medicating your child continuously without the doctor saying it is ok is neglect in my opinion.

I would report her and I would absolutely NOT accept this child into care.....what if something happens to him while on your watch?!

Now that you are aware of his mother over medicating him you could be held liable for not intervening.
Soupyszoo 08:03 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am thinking this is something you need to report to CPS.

Medicating your child continuously without the doctor saying it is ok is neglect in my opinion.

I would report her and I would absolutely NOT accept this child into care.....what if something happens to him while on your watch?!

Now that you are aware of his mother over medicating him you could be held liable for not intervening.
You are right! I don't mean to sound mean, but she almost comes across as maybe not the smartest person. KWIM?? She doesn't seem clueless in a mean way like she's doing it on purpose... I almost think she's just that dumb. I hate that but it's true.

This is the lady who dresses her overweight baby in fleece and sweatshirt layers, two pairs of socks and one of those travel fleece outfits when it's sunny and warm out!! I think she needs educated, I just don't know how to bring it up? I guess just hand her a print out or I could email her an article to read and tell her I'm concerned. Being concerned and emailing articles doesn't help if something happens to the poor little guy tho....

Why can't parents be smarter on their own?!
MyAngels 08:12 AM 03-08-2012
Some information on the use of acetaminophen with kids:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...n-on-children/

http://www.helium.com/items/1145830-...ophen-warnings

http://www.mnpoison.org/index.asp?pageID=260
AnneCordelia 08:31 AM 03-08-2012
Maybe you could start off by saying "You know the tylenol wears off around 10am and he's fine for the rest of the day. I wonder if he really needs it? I would hate to medicate him if he doesn't really need it." or something to that effect? Maybe she thinks she's helping you out by medicating him.
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
You are right! I don't mean to sound mean, but she almost comes across as maybe not the smartest person. KWIM?? She doesn't seem clueless in a mean way like she's doing it on purpose... I almost think she's just that dumb. I hate that but it's true.

This is the lady who dresses her overweight baby in fleece and sweatshirt layers, two pairs of socks and one of those travel fleece outfits when it's sunny and warm out!! I think she needs educated, I just don't know how to bring it up? I guess just hand her a print out or I could email her an article to read and tell her I'm concerned. Being concerned and emailing articles doesn't help if something happens to the poor little guy tho....

Why can't parents be smarter on their own?!
I think you might just have to use words to tell her that. Tell her that although she thinks she is doing right by her child, you are concerned about the over use of Tylenol and explain to her in words why. I would then tell her that you are a mandated reporter and if she is not going to educate herself on the dangers of over medicating, that you will have no choice but to report her to CPS.

I also think you should tell her that she needs to have a discussion with her pediatrician about over medicating so she can see what she is doing is not only wrong but super dangerous to her child.

Even if you feel she isn't the brightest crayon in the box, you can use concern about her child's health and well being as an opener to this discussion. Tell her that you know she only wants to do what is best for her son but she is in reality hurting him.

I would NOT allow a child who was unnecessarily medicated to remain in care since I would not want the added liabiltiy that goes with it. I don't want to be the one who has to deal with the fallout, plus if sheis telling you that she is medicating him for such silly things, what could she be possibly doing at home and not telling you?
daycare 08:52 AM 03-08-2012

LOve IT

Communicate communicate communicate.....

You would be shocked at what parents don't know. There are some that buy every baby book out on the market and then there are those that just wing it and raise their child on trail an error. (which is sad)

Hopefully you can talk with her. Be that voice for that baby and stand up for him/her. Hopefully you can help the mom out instead of making things worse for her by having to call CPS.

If talking to her does nothing, then you have no choice to call CPS....

Big hugs to you,hang in there and use all of us for advice and support like you have been doing
wdmmom 08:54 AM 03-08-2012
Medicating your child daily to attend daycare is against my policies.

I would confront her and ask her why she feels the need to medicate her child before daycare each day when you see no change when the Tylenol wears off?

I would also tell her that Tylenol is acetomenophen and the risks of too much! It's a pain reliever/fever reducer.

If dck has a fever, he must stay home. If he is in pain, take him to a doctor.

I would also tell her to supply you with a form from the doctor indicating why he needs Tylenol before attending daycare each morning.

If she can't get one, term and call CPS.
littlemommy 09:06 AM 03-08-2012
I would call CPS and term. I refuse to ever fell the fear I had for the overmedicated boy I had in my care. I felt the way you did for a couple days, then realized that it was serious and I didn't want anything happening on my watch.

The mom of my DCB was the same way. Acted like she was helping me by medicating him.
Sunshine44 10:59 AM 03-08-2012
I would straight up say, "Why did you give him Tylenol?" When she says runny nose, promptly tell her Tylenol does nothing for a runny nose. Read the label woman. It does not say relieves runny nose.
SunshineMama 12:00 PM 03-08-2012
At this point, I feel that you have to say something- in the best interests of the child.

I would be very blunt and tell her that you have a concern that the child is being over-medicated. Maybe pull a few research articles??

Tylenol is relatively benign, but I worry about a pattern of behavior (Munchausen's syndrome??) If there is any excessive over-medication, etc, and you know about it and do not report it, and something happens to the child, you could be liable for something. C.Y.A....

I know it's probably not that extreme, but you can never be too careful.
Jenniferdawn 04:41 PM 03-08-2012
I just had a dcp say the very same thing to me. I honestly think in most cases, it's just clueless parenting. I tactfully mentioned that when my kids get cold I give them a very safe homeopathic cold tablets that don't have the harmful side effects tylonal has. They actually seemed appreciate of the info. I wouldn't just to the conclusion that they ate horrible parents. Just a bit ignorant maybe.
mac60 05:23 PM 03-08-2012
I am not sure how much/how often you are referring that the parent gives the child tylenol. But I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, a kid that goes thru spurts and has major sneezing/snot issues, and parents never ever give him anything. On a bad day, I am wiping his snot every 10/15 minutes, otherwise he is rubbing his arm/hands in it. Some days he will sneeze, and it literally flies, which brings a whole other set of issues of where to sit/put/let him play, where he won't smear everything in snot. It is disgusting, and I would give anything to have this child have some type of meds to help the symptoms.
DaisyMamma 10:40 AM 03-09-2012
Did he get tylenol today?
MrsB 11:11 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
I am not sure how much/how often you are referring that the parent gives the child tylenol. But I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, a kid that goes thru spurts and has major sneezing/snot issues, and parents never ever give him anything. On a bad day, I am wiping his snot every 10/15 minutes, otherwise he is rubbing his arm/hands in it. Some days he will sneeze, and it literally flies, which brings a whole other set of issues of where to sit/put/let him play, where he won't smear everything in snot. It is disgusting, and I would give anything to have this child have some type of meds to help the symptoms.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-medicines/CC00083

I am not really sure what age you are talking about, but cold medicine for children younger than 2 is not recomended and in over the age of 2 there are still significant risks. Tylenol does noting for a snotty nose.

I would rather wipe a snotty nose than deal with the potential risks, of overdose, convulsions, or rapid heart rate.

If their symptoms are so severe they need medication for it, they need to be home with mom or dad.

I get that it is aweful to see a child miserable when they are sick. I just think that some people forget that those symptoms to an illness are there for a reason. Snot is created to expell the germs, fever to burn off the bug. I may be on the other end of the spectrum but I dont give my kids tylenol immediately upon a temp of 99. I usually will wait until it gets closer to 102 and it has been over an hour. I just make sure they stay hydrated and try to let them break the fever on their own.

I think as daycare providers we need to focus more on stopping the spread of germs, and boosting our kids immune systems, rather than medicating and masking symptoms.

But as always just my opinion!
Soupyszoo 11:59 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
Did he get tylenol today?
I don't have him Fridays! I should text her and ask huh?! he was very cranky after he woke up yesterday morning. I'm thinking she's trying to mask another issue from me that she's not telling me about

His symptoms without Tylenol are stuffy, clear snot most of the time, extremely sensitive (just looking at him yesterday made him cry, no exaggeration), and very fussy. He eats okay, poops and pee seem normal. He's not hot, no fever.

He's home with the fam for three days now so I will update you on Monday! I did mention to dcm that I wouldn't give him Tylenol for a runny nose yesterday at pickup. I tried to explain it is a fever reducer and pain reliever. We shall see
Reply Up