Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fair Pay?
pootmcgoot 08:40 AM 06-07-2012
I was just offered a nanny job. Here's the specs, tell me whatcha think.

17 miles from my house. 34 miles round trip. 9$ roughly a day in gas.
Hours are 730-445.
Put 2 SA on the bus at 820, pick them up from the bus at 4. Ages 9 & 10.
Care for a 2 year old girl from 745-430
My daughter can come with me (no daycare!)
150 weekly

Neighbors baby is due in sept. care needed in December. Rate goes to 225$ weekly. Baby will be in care 5 hours daily. I will work in different houses every other week.

I'm worried about the gas. The perks are I don't gave to step clean my house constantly. I can wake up at 645, leave at 715 compared to up at 5 and dcb is here at 530. 8 hour days vs 12 hour days. Newbies mom will parent and train baby for daycare. If they offered a gas stipend Id be much more comfortable.
Unregistered 08:52 AM 06-07-2012
I suppose,if you want to work for a little over $3 an hour!
My opinion-No way in H$%* would I work for that wage.
Nanny care,which is what that is considered, is between $10-$30 an hour depending on how many kids and your location.
$150!That would be close to my daily rate,not weekly.
If YOU think it's fair then go ahead but I think you'll burn out fast.
momofboys 08:55 AM 06-07-2012
That is very cheap for nanny care & the baby gets added for 75
I worked as a nanny last fall 4 days a week for similar hours & made $350a week & that was on the low end for a nanny job.
momofboys 08:57 AM 06-07-2012
I took my child with me too
pootmcgoot 09:16 AM 06-07-2012
I really need to stop under cutting myself with rates. Husband wants me to take it. Hmm...also it's summer so no school? I can't watch 3 kids for 150 weekly.
Unregistered 09:23 AM 06-07-2012
Well if your husband wants to do it then let him take that job.
I guarantee he'd last not even a day.
As for you,ask for at least minimum wage or it's not worth your time.
I value my time and that is not worth it!
AfterSchoolMom 09:26 AM 06-07-2012
Gas is going to be $50 per week, or $200-250 monthly. I'd do it at home for that rate, but I wouldn't go to someone else's house unless they doubled that weekly amount.

ETA: I just added up what I'd make if I had those kids in my home, and it's over $400 weekly...so I retract my statement, I wouldn't do it at home either!
itlw8 09:36 AM 06-07-2012
even a teen would work for that small amount of money. I suppose this is also under the table cash because it is not even minimum wage.

You could work a few hours in the evening at McDonalds and make more than that
pootmcgoot 09:50 AM 06-07-2012
I asked them about taxes...they didn't answer. I planned to claim the income.
My3cents 10:38 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by pootmcgoot:
I asked them about taxes...they didn't answer. I planned to claim the income.
No way. Three kids

Nannies are paid well.
don't undercut yourself.
don't settle for anything under $350, they should also pay your gas, food, and any expenses like field trips or activities you do with the kids. Something is not right here....hmmmmm
pootmcgoot 11:10 AM 06-07-2012
They are looking for cheap. Even on sliding scale they'd pay at least 300 for the 2yo and 450 for the infant. Afterschool care is 100 monthly per kid here! These are center rates based on income less than what my husband makes. And we are pretty poor, lower enlisted military.
sharlan 11:27 AM 06-07-2012
I'm not sure where you live, which has a lot to do with rates, but that's way too low.

Even where I live, in-home daycare for an infant is $125 - $150 a week. Now, add in the two SA's @ $4.50 an hour per each one while IN school. That roughly comes out to another $100 a week, if they don't have an early day each week. Summer is here so I would charge them another $125 a week for each one

Let's be on the cheap side, $125 + $100 = $225 during the school year. During the summer you are talking $125 + $125 + $125 = $375. Now when the neighbors infant is born, tack on another $125 a week. You're talking about $500 per week. They want to offer you rediculously low rates.

Working for two different families in their homes at the same time could cause you a lot of problems.
pootmcgoot 11:46 AM 06-07-2012
I think I am going to counter offer. If I could make 1000 before the infant and 1500 after the baby is born I'd take it with out a gas stipend. But.i doubt they are prepared to pay double. I found care for my daughter at a home day care for Monday and Friday from 230 to 530. That alone is 200$ monthly.
Former Teacher 12:34 PM 06-07-2012
I was just offered a nanny job. Here's the specs, tell me whatcha think.

17 miles from my house. 34 miles round trip. 9$ roughly a day in gas.
Hours are 730-445.
Put 2 SA on the bus at 820, pick them up from the bus at 4. Ages 9 & 10.
Care for a 2 year old girl from 745-430
My daughter can come with me (no daycare!)
150 weekly

Neighbors baby is due in sept. care needed in December. Rate goes to 225$ weekly. Baby will be in care 5 hours daily. I will work in different houses every other week.

I'm worried about the gas. The perks are I don't gave to step clean my house constantly. I can wake up at 645, leave at 715 compared to up at 5 and dcb is here at 530. 8 hour days vs 12 hour days. Newbies mom will parent and train baby for daycare. If they offered a gas stipend Id be much more comfortable.
I am a current nanny. When I had only one child to care for (there are now 2), I was making MORE THAN DOUBLE than $150 a week. Plus when the second child came I got a pay raise. Plus I only work 6:30-3:00.

I totally agree with the other posters in regarding nannies are more money. I believe nanny care is a personalized, individualized care. You (well at least me ) take care of the family as well. As well as providing full time care for the children, I also provide care for the family. I provide light housekeeping IE: vacuuming, laundry for all members of the family, sweeping etc.

As I tell people, you get what you pay for. I once, stupidly, babysat overnight for a family of 3 children. Father was somewhere, mother worked nights. For overnight care she only wanted to pay $35.00 for ALL night. I did it 4 times. Never again. Her reasoning is because the kids were sleeping etc. What she didn't realize is that yes technically I was up with the children maybe 2 hours tops. However I still had to care for those children should they wake up, which they did- ALOT, blah blah. Anyway the point of my saying this...this woman would leave her house TRASHED. I am sorry but I can not function in a messy environment. Controlled mess, yes. Downright trashed no. I cleaned it up the first time. It looked like a new house The next night, trashed again. I did not clean it again. I figured that I wasn't being paid to be a maid.

So if parents want Mary Poppins they can't expect a person to work for $5.00 a hour or less!
cheerfuldom 02:26 PM 06-07-2012
Too little pay.

I make almost $150 taking care of one full time child in my own home. I would never nanny for 3 kids plus transportation for this price.
saved4always 02:39 PM 06-07-2012
I think that is way too little money, too. For an infant in MY home, I was charging $125 a week (even if it was only 5 hours a day). I would charge at least $50 a week for the 2 going to school and another $125 for the 2 year old. So, I would probably charge at least $300 a week for these kids if I was watching at my own home. To do it in THEIR home, I would charge much more. It is more inconvenient to me to have to watch at someone else's home. A nanny is usually supposed to do house work, too. No way would I do the jobs of both child care and maid service for such a low fee.

Maybe you could do some research to see how much a nanny is paid in your area. Then counter with a price that is fair to you.
Unregistered 06:46 PM 06-07-2012
If they want you as a nanny, they need to pay you at least minimum wage and throw some benefits in there...gas allowance or a car to use during work hours, 1 week (minimum) paid vacation per year, food/drink, or passes to the water park, amusement park, etc.

You are selling yourself short!! Call around and compare how much daycares in your area are charging for a 2 year old, then double to accommodate the schoolagers before and after school care. Have you calculated what you will charge when there is no school?

Then when the neighbor baby is born, the rate doubles!! No discounts!! Both families pay the same weekly rate.
DaisyMamma 04:28 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I suppose,if you want to work for a little over $3 an hour!
My opinion-No way in H$%* would I work for that wage.
Nanny care,which is what that is considered, is between $10-$30 an hour depending on how many kids and your location.
$150!That would be close to my daily rate,not weekly.
If YOU think it's fair then go ahead but I think you'll burn out fast.
If it works for you then that is great!
Why can't the family come to you?

You really will be making $2/hr after you pay for gas.

But everyone is right here, nannys make a very minimum of $10/hr. if you add an infant you are looking at $15. But even a babysitter should be about $10.
If those kids were to come to you then you would be getting more then what they are paying you to come to them, right?
Around here for daycare an infant is $200/week, 2 year old $175 and SA about 100 each.

If that's all the pay you need to make it through the week then that's great! But being out of your home does make a difference. I'd prefer the 12 hrs at home, but would be looking to replace the early arrival dcb.
I would consider at least asking for $200 and then another $150 for baby. Good luck!!
pootmcgoot 05:02 AM 06-08-2012
I countered with 300 and 450 with baby.

Otherwise I can't take it. It's not worth it.
DaisyMamma 06:01 AM 06-08-2012

Good for you
Former Teacher 06:39 AM 06-08-2012

Awesome! Keep up posted!
pootmcgoot 07:50 AM 06-08-2012
She laughed at me and then said that toddler care is 105 a week at her old day care. My blood is boiling.
Creek 07:56 AM 06-08-2012
She laughed at me and then said that toddler care is 105 a week at her old day care. My blood is boiling.
Then tell her to enjoy her old daycare. Simple as that.

For a nanny in my area, for one child you are looking at making $450 a week easily.
Don't sell yourself short, soon you would have been paying her to work!!!!!
Kristina 07:57 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Creek:
Then tell her to enjoy her old daycare. Simple as that.
I was going to say the same thing.

When I was a nanny for 2 SA's during the summers, I made $650 a week.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 06-08-2012
I agree with others. You set your rate and she can do whatever she wants but I would be inclined to not take her now for ANY amount of money as I don't appreciate being laughed at.

That kind of tells me she doesn't take you or your worth very seriously so, "see ya!"

No one will value what you do unless you value it too....so don't let her push you around like that. YOU deserve better pay and a whole lot of respect.
Reply Up