Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Feel Like I am Rolling Downhill
daycare 06:15 PM 10-22-2013
Over the last month I have had once child move out of the area and 3 other children that just gave notice, not from the same family. So that will be 4 children in one month.

I really can not afford for this to happen and due to all of the illegal daycare's in my area, it's almost next to impossible to get new enrollments. Within just 500ft of me there are 9 legal daycares and about 3 illegal ones that I know of.

I was just given the book idea, I am going to try this. I can NOT hang any fliers in my town, they will site you for littering if you do. You can only hang fliers if you are a non-profit organization.

I had a thing on care.com for 6 months, wasted 80. NOt one bite.
I have free listings all over the internet.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much
LaLa1923 06:21 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Over the last month I have had once child move out of the area and 3 other children that just gave notice, not from the same family. So that will be 4 children in one month.

I really can not afford for this to happen and due to all of the illegal daycare's in my area, it's almost next to impossible to get new enrollments. Within just 500ft of me there are 9 legal daycares and about 3 illegal ones that I know of.

I was just given the book idea, I am going to try this. I can NOT hang any fliers in my town, they will site you for littering if you do. You can only hang fliers if you are a non-profit organization.

Do Care.com again! It's free for providers now. There's no benefit to paying.
daycare 06:24 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
what....they just charged me $40.00 again yesterday, so now it's 120$$$

I have never gotten one bite off of that......Gosh how is it that I am wasting all this money.
ihop 06:25 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I still have to pay. They say I have to be listed in the business marketplace and pay $20/month.
daycare 06:26 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
I still have to pay. They say I have to be listed in the business marketplace and pay $20/month.
I am in the same listing and am getting charged $40

just curious, have you ever gotten any business from it?
Familycare71 06:28 PM 10-22-2013
I am on there for free and have gotten calls from it-
Lyss 06:39 PM 10-22-2013

I've only got 2 calls from care.com, both wanted a weekend "babysitter" even though I stated clearly what I offered Not worth paying IMO

Can you put flyers up at any children's stores, secondhand stores, coffee shops, kids salons, churches? or are they also not allowed to post flyers in their businesses? Craigslist or local paper online (ours has a free ads section you can post in)?

Good luck!
Kabob 06:41 PM 10-22-2013
Craigslist and referrals worked for me. My food program rep also sent some people my way as well as dh talking to co-workers. I also loudly and frequently mention my business to everyone I know...and my cashier at the grocery store....and my doctor....and my vet...and you get the picture.
daycare 06:49 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Craigslist and referrals worked for me. My food program rep also sent some people my way as well as dh talking to co-workers. I also loudly and frequently mention my business to everyone I know...and my cashier at the grocery store....and my doctor....and my vet...and you get the picture.
No fliers anywhere....every time I have tired I am told no.

I did get one client by talking to the cashier at safeway....his GF had a child who was with me for 4 years. DCK has graduated my program.

My dentist allowed me to leave some business cards before, but got nothing.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will go talk to some local churches.....hopefully that might work....
Lucy 06:55 PM 10-22-2013

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to turn in all the illegal ones. I've done it before. While I hate the red tape and hoops we have to go through to be licensed, I do it because it's the right thing to do. It's not fair that someone else gets away with not following the rules.
ihop 07:09 PM 10-22-2013
I am in the same listing and am getting charged $40

just curious, have you ever gotten any business from it?
I have gotten one response and it turned in to a great client. It was my first month on there, when they featured me. Unfortunately I haven't gotten anything else from it. It's been 3 months.
daycare 07:15 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to turn in all the illegal ones. I've done it before. While I hate the red tape and hoops we have to go through to be licensed, I do it because it's the right thing to do. It's not fair that someone else gets away with not following the rules.
when it comes to the illegal daycare's, even though the thought of it kills me, I just mind my business. The last thing that I would want to do is start a war with anyone. I just try to mind my business. Eventually they will get caught.........
sharlan 07:34 PM 10-22-2013
I'm not much help. I have 3 open spaces that I've been trying to fill since June.

I've been posting daily on Craigslist, not a single call since June.

My neighbor has had good luck with Yelp. I listed there but haven't gotten any calls yet. I did just pick up a pt infant that my neighbor got from Yelp, though.

I've tried my local throw away paper, not a single call. I tried the Penneysaver ($$$), not a single call. I tried a menu for a local restaurant, nothing. I tried the yellow pages, nothing. I'm telling everyone I meet that I run a licensed daycare, nothing. I'm listed with our local R&R, but have not received a single call from there in 5 years.

We can not post fliers or put signs on our property.
LaLa1923 07:37 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
Well I get several bites a month from there and I've never paid.
spud912 07:44 PM 10-22-2013
I've gotten a lot of calls from my free listings on Yelp and YellowPages.com. They both have links to my website and then the parents call me.
butterfly 08:42 PM 10-22-2013
Do you hand out halloween candy? I'd hand out some business cards with it. Or hand out cards when you are trick or treating with your kids.

Do you have a facebook page? I'd post on your personal and business page that you have openings available and ask your friends to share the information.

Are you listed with your local referral agency? - notify them that you have openings.
CrackerJacks 09:18 PM 10-22-2013
Is there a local mothers club? I would ask current and former clients who were members to post something for you, or you can pay to run your ad in their newsletter.
jenboo 09:40 PM 10-22-2013
I haven't been open a month yet and so far I have:
Posted on different facebook childcare pages
Had my friends share my facebook daycare page
Taken flyers to be hung at the local collage
I'm going to take flyers to the community colleges
Posted on craigslist
Signed up for care.com for free
Passed out business cards at church
I plan on leaving a business card on tables when I tip
I'm passing out business cards with Halloween candy
My husband, grandma and I mention the daycare to everyone we talk to
daycare 09:58 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
Is there a local mothers club? I would ask current and former clients who were members to post something for you, or you can pay to run your ad in their newsletter.
I like this idea. I'm going to look into it
Thanks.
Scout 07:30 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Do you hand out halloween candy? I'd hand out some business cards with it. Or hand out cards when you are trick or treating with your kids.

Do you have a facebook page? I'd post on your personal and business page that you have openings available and ask your friends to share the information.

Are you listed with your local referral agency? - notify them that you have openings.
i was going to suggest the same thing! I did this last year and got nothing but, who knows. I have no luck with care.com either.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 10-23-2013
Can you do a referral bonus/discount? Have current families refer friends and family. Once one of those families enroll, after 30 days or 6 months, give a discount to the family that referred you.

You could also host an open house.

Offer sign on bonuses

Do the postcard mailers through Vistaprint (thank you ECS!)

Can you make up some fliers and bring them to your local YMCA, library, DHS offices, WIC office...even area preschools....sometimes they are full or beyond what some families can afford.

ANYWHERE is a good place to advertise.
Brooksie 07:39 AM 10-23-2013
Do you get trick or treaters? I know a local provider who I go to trainings with makes goody bags with her business cards in them and passes them out. She also has the kids make Christmas cards and puts her business cards in them and they pass them out to people on the street while singing Christmas Carols... Worth a shot.
mom2many 07:45 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Same here! They tried to upgrade me to a paying account, but I had gotten a few calls already on the free account, so I chose not to do it.

There are so many home daycares in my neighborhood and it's tough to get new clients some times, so I totally feel for you OP.

I rely mainly on word of mouth and have gotten most of my new dcks through that. Advertising has never proven very successful for me. It's definitely hit and miss with that.
sharlan 07:45 AM 10-23-2013
I tried the trick or treat thing a few years ago, no luck. I put stickers with my business name, address, and phone number on 300 bags of pretzels and didn't get a single call.

I have given myself until Jan 1. If I don't pick up at least 2 families by then, I'll start looking for a job and close down.

I was always full when my kids were in school. Other parents would see me dropping off and picking up and stop and question me. Now my kids are in their mid 30's and my grandkids go to school 17 miles away.
MyAngels 07:59 AM 10-23-2013
Call the HR departments of any large businesses near you to see if they have an internal referral service. There are two big insurance companies and an auto maker here that all have their own service. I get calls all the time from them.
mom2many 08:06 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Call the HR departments of any large businesses near you to see if they have an internal referral service. There are two big insurance companies and an auto maker here that all have their own service. I get calls all the time from them.
This is a great idea! When I first started up, a large tech company in my neighborhood had a referral service and I used to get a ton of calls from them. I was so bummed when they moved and I didn't have that resource anymore.
Unregistered 08:20 AM 10-23-2013
I can not remeber my pass word or name to log in ...oppps
in the mean time

If you drive, put signs in window of car...bright and with phone number
I also have a shaw account ( internet in can ) and with it I get free mini web sites so when ever I post on the internet I post a link of day care site too with pictures and info
carry bussiness cards where ever you go
take the children you do have to baby groups School function ( day time plays ex )
when you are frustered and sad it is hard to keep a sunny face when out and about but try ..try ..try

when my numbers where REALY low yes I had to clean houses and garden to make ends meet ....I was able to set my own hours and work around day care days ...you do what you have to do

the bottem line if you love day care dont give up .....
from some one that has been there
daycare 08:22 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I haven't been open a month yet and so far I have:
Posted on different facebook childcare pages
Had my friends share my facebook daycare page
Taken flyers to be hung at the local collage
I'm going to take flyers to the community colleges
Posted on craigslist
Signed up for care.com for free
Passed out business cards at church
I plan on leaving a business card on tables when I tip
I'm passing out business cards with Halloween candy
My husband, grandma and I mention the daycare to everyone we talk to
facebook has childcare pages???
jenboo 08:38 AM 10-23-2013
facebook has childcare pages???
Yes. They are groups/pages that parents/providers have started in my area (Im sure other areas have them too).
The ones in my area are called las vegas childcare group and henderson babysitters connection. I have gotten one family from them (i only had one spot to fill).

Try searching childcare/babysitting and/or your community/town/city on facebook and see what comes up
daycare 08:47 AM 10-23-2013
I currently do not have a FB private or business, but I am thinking about making one...Your information you gave me is good to know...

thank you for posting this info...
Magic 08:57 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I can not remeber my pass word or name to log in ...oppps
in the mean time

I am in ...thanks
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Magic:
I am in ...thanks
Anytime you forget or need to rest, just post and I will generate an e-mail so you can reset it.
TwinKristi 10:02 AM 10-23-2013
I totally feel your pain. Last month I had a FT infant and PT preschooler and both withdrew this month. Mom decided to stay home with her infant and the preschooler went from 3 days to 5 days. now the other FT guy I have is going to preschool as well in Jan leaving me with 1 DCK 3 days a week (with occasional 4th or 5th days) and a SA guy 5 days a week but mom is kinda flakey with payment! I have 3 of my own included in my numbers so last month I was literally full but come Jan I will have like 5 openings!
I've had a CL ad up for awhile, maybe 1-2 bites. My R&R rotates their list so sometimes I get a bunch of calls (and of course was full!) and then nothing for months. We do have quite a few daycares and preschools in the area. My neighbor has been in business for 10yrs and is also slow.
Josiegirl 10:54 AM 10-23-2013
I truly think everybody is trying to find places to cut costs so many rely on family or other options instead of childcare centers or homes. I've been doing this 30+ years and this is the first time I've been down in my numbers. I've lost 6 FTers to Kindergarten the past 2 years. There also seems to be more centers springing up locally too. I think people equate a center with preschool so figure their child gets a better education than at a home daycare. It's discouraging.

Everybody has come up with some great ideas. What about a magnetic sign for your vehicle? I've been thinking of looking into one.
Good luck finding new families!
Tags:illegal daycare
Reply Up