Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbor Has A Loud Illegal Daycare
Unregistered54351 11:51 AM 11-07-2017
So we didn't want to bother the neighbor because everyone here tries to make money any possible way, with the 6,000 dollar a month mortgages and all. However he started bullying and harassing us anyway he can. He called the storm drain department because a past tenant was throwing ciggarete buds into the concrete gutter between the houses. He called the building inspector because we had a shed within 5 feet of the concrete gutter, not within 5 feet of his house, so hes just harassing us over a technicality when it isn't to any detriment to him, also the shed was almost entirely blocked by greenery on the furthest possible location from his house, so again no reason why its bothering him. Yet he came out starting screaming and swearing, yelling for us to tear it down threatening to call building inspector. And we did tear it down, and he still called the building inspector. Then he called the building inspector over us having too many people in a single family zoning house. We can actually change the zoning to multi family, but it requires neighbor consent. So it's entirely his opinion if we are doing anything wrong, and he's abusing it as hard as he can. Turns out that he has been bullying and causing people to sell their houses and move out since 2009. Anyway he doesn't go to work, and turns out his wife stays at home all day and they have six kids splashing and screaming in the pool every weekend. They are in mid 40s and have a single child. So those can't be grandkids in there. Can't be friends kids either because the guy is so toxic I can't imagine people staying friends with him. Also, How are they making money if both are staying at home all day? They are probably making 1500 bucks a kid, and they only let them into the pool on the weekends to minimize the noise to keep stealth. So yeah, those kids have been splashing around and screaming in the pool every weekend for the last year. This is a super quiet residential neighborhood too. No one else is making any noise.

Trouble is, I'm in hawaii and I can't find anyway to report them or look them up to see if they have a license. I found like a child abuse hotline in the same pages that talk about daycare laws and regulations, but I can't find anything else. I don't think a child abuse hotline is relevant to illegal daycares.
midaycare 11:58 AM 11-07-2017
I don't know the rules about daycares in Hawaii. Is it truly illegal? If so, find the state number and call it. Report it. You don't have to have a reason. It's illegal.
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered54351:
So we didn't want to bother the neighbor because everyone here tries to make money any possible way, with the 6,000 dollar a month mortgages and all. However he started bullying and harassing us anyway he can. He called the storm drain department because a past tenant was throwing ciggarete buds into the concrete gutter between the houses. He called the building inspector because we had a shed within 5 feet of the concrete gutter, not within 5 feet of his house, so hes just harassing us over a technicality when it isn't to any detriment to him, also the shed was almost entirely blocked by greenery on the furthest possible location from his house, so again no reason why its bothering him. Yet he came out starting screaming and swearing, yelling for us to tear it down threatening to call building inspector. And we did tear it down, and he still called the building inspector. Then he called the building inspector over us having too many people in a single family zoning house. We can actually change the zoning to multi family, but it requires neighbor consent. So it's entirely his opinion if we are doing anything wrong, and he's abusing it as hard as he can. Turns out that he has been bullying and causing people to sell their houses and move out since 2009. Anyway he doesn't go to work, and turns out his wife stays at home all day and they have six kids splashing and screaming in the pool every weekend. They are in mid 40s and have a single child. So those can't be grandkids in there. Can't be friends kids either because the guy is so toxic I can't imagine people staying friends with him. Also, How are they making money if both are staying at home all day? They are probably making 1500 bucks a kid, and they only let them into the pool on the weekends to minimize the noise to keep stealth. So yeah, those kids have been splashing around and screaming in the pool every weekend for the last year. This is a super quiet residential neighborhood too. No one else is making any noise.

Trouble is, I'm in hawaii and I can't find anyway to report them or look them up to see if they have a license. I found like a child abuse hotline in the same pages that talk about daycare laws and regulations, but I can't find anything else. I don't think a child abuse hotline is relevant to illegal daycares.
https://www.daycare.com/hawaii/
hwichlaz 01:00 PM 11-07-2017
They couldn't be his kid's friends? Or the sunday school kids his wife teaches or something like that?
Unregistered 05:03 PM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
They couldn't be his kid's friends? Or the sunday school kids his wife teaches or something like that?
every weekend for a year? and considering they don't go to work?
midaycare 05:11 PM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is it just weekends? Because that's odd. I would say it's probably not a daycare then.
Mom2Two 05:30 PM 11-07-2017
Sounds like a difficult neighbor, but maybe get some more facts about the situation first.

Are you friends with other of your neighbors? Maybe they know something about it.
MarinaVanessa 09:17 AM 11-08-2017
How do you know it's illegal daycare? According to Hawaii's regulations a licensed family childcare home can have up to 6 kids in care at a time so if she was licensed then she's within ratios and is doing nothing wrong.

One thing that I did read about Hawaii (I didn't find the actual regulation, but I found a website speaking about noise issues) is that even though there is a 10pm noise cutoff rule if at any point anyone becomes annoyed with the amount of noise that someone else is making and it goes on for more than 10 minutes at a time then you can call the authorities and file a noise complaint. Someone will sent out and may ask for the noise to stop, if they don't stop they can be arrested for disorderly conduct. Craziest thing I ever heard but well, there is that. If the noise really does bother you and you aren't just complaining due to retaliation for this neighbor calling the authorities on you then you call to file a complaint. Looks like you'll have to have proof that the kids are out there for extended periods of time so I'd record the noise level from your home for a long time to prove that the noise is loud and constant. Otherwise if someone takes a while to come out (like a day or week later) they might not hear anything and nothing will be done and you could be ticketed for harassment.

Here's the quote that I found:

Question: One night, I was entertaining a guest and just having fun when police came. The officer said I needed to turn the music down because my neighbor complained. I asked if she thought my music was loud and the officer said no, but the neighbor is complaining. I asked about the law which allows me to play my music until 10 p.m.
She said the 10 p.m. law is not applicable if the neighbor is complaining. I was told that if the neighbor continues to complain, the officer would come back and arrest me. I also informed her that there has been harassment by the neighbors toward me (TRO on file).

About a month earlier, police also came to my house at about 2 a.m. saying that the neighbor was complaining about my music. Everyone in my house was asleep and the police just left. They considered it another harassment case.

This is becoming unbearable. If the law says 10 p.m., can the police arrest me at 9 p.m. even if the officer thinks there was no violation?

Answer: It is a common misconception that 10 p.m. is a "cutoff" time for reporting noisy neighbors.

But there is nothing in the law that specifies a time, said Honolulu Police Department spokeswoman Michelle Yu.

When responding to a noise complaint, a police officer will determine "if the noise level is reasonable given the time of day, location etc.," she said.

"If it is unreasonable, the officer will talk to the party and ask them to lower the noise level," she said. And, yes, if you refuse, you could be arrested for disorderly conduct.

It is a subjective determination, since the officer won't be carrying a noise monitor.

It sounds as if there is more going on between you and your neighbor, so advising you to attempt to resolve the problem in a neighborly manner obviously wouldn't work. But in other cases, calling the Mediation Center of the Pacific, 521-6767, may be a way to resolve such problems.

Leigh 11:32 AM 11-08-2017
My next door neighbors don't "go" to work, either...they work at home. My neighbor across the street is legally disabled and doesn't go to work, either. That wouldn't mean that they have a childcare.

During daytime hours on the weekends, there isn't much to complain about. They have a right to enjoy their pool during reasonable hours.

I truly doubt that it is a daycare-I would think they're caring for a relative's child, or their child is having guests-when you have a pool, everyone is your best friend~!
LysesKids 12:07 PM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
My next door neighbors don't "go" to work, either...they work at home. My neighbor across the street is legally disabled and doesn't go to work, either. That wouldn't mean that they have a childcare.

During daytime hours on the weekends, there isn't much to complain about. They have a right to enjoy their pool during reasonable hours.

I truly doubt that it is a daycare-I would think they're caring for a relative's child, or their child is having guests-when you have a pool, everyone is your best friend~!
We have a lady down the street that has 3 kids.... she lets the Nanny bring her 3 kids too, yep I can only have 4, but they have 6 in their house; guess who has had complaints, not to mention toddlers almost being hit by cars... yep, the lady down the street; even management has said something to the Nanny because she isn't doing her job right
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 11-08-2017
I don't know...I don't think this really has anything to do with honest concerns for children and their well being and has a whole lot more to do with what one can do to "get back" at neighbor that bothers you as much as you bother him.

I wonder how long he's lived there?

If he's been harassing neighbors for years now one would think the police would have a record of the calls/complaints etc and be able to help build a case against him for harassment.

My experience is that the police rarely do anything when both parties are behaving badly.
Unregistered 05:00 PM 11-08-2017
Probably his kids that he shares custody and gets them on weekends.
HappyEverAfter 06:03 PM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know...I don't think this really has anything to do with honest concerns for children and their well being and has a whole lot more to do with what one can do to "get back" at neighbor that bothers you as much as you bother him.

If he's been harassing neighbors for years now one would think the police would have a record of the calls/complaints etc and be able to help build a case against him for harassment.

My experience is that the police rarely do anything when both parties are behaving badly.
This! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Unregistered54351 01:04 AM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

He doesn't call the cops. But hes got the phone numbers of the storm drain department, the building inspector, ect.
Unregistered 01:24 AM 11-09-2017
Today is wednesday, I was walking by the house and I saw one kid playing on a miniature playground, and then I heard from an open window two kids being noisy. One was a toddler, the other was a crying infant. None of those kids are theirs.

I regret explaining the whole situation. I see this phenomenon often. You explain the story, and the details, then people will construct their own narrative, and think it to be true then refuse to help you.

The question was, how do you report an unlicensed daycare in hawaii.

Most of the replies are conversations about what people think is happening.

Someone said that you can have up to 6 kids if you are licensed. I don't think these people are licensed. I googled their address, nothing came up. No one in the neighborhood thinks they have a licensed daycare business.

Another wild guess I heard was that they were working from home. The husband is an ex firefighter. You think he works from home? Also he walks around permanently angry with a frown on his face. You think someone would willingly give their child to that? As for the mother working online, if shes working at home/online, whos taking care of the 6+ children/toddlers/infants?

So if they aren't working, how are they getting money? They are obviously getting like 1500 bucks a pop per child.

I thought that they ran the daycare only on the weekends, but again, i saw proof today that there are kids there on the weekdays too. Why are they keeping the kids inside on workdays? Probably so that they can hide under the cover of "oh the kids are just coming over for a pool party on the weekends". They don't want anyone to get suspicious so they keep them indoors on the weekdays, and let them into the pool on the weekends. I'm not sure what the three year old boy was doing alone and unattended outside outday. Maybe he managed to get loose when the infant started crying.

Someone else said that it could be the parent's friends or family kids or something. I don't think this is even reasonable to consider. I don't care how friendly you are with your family, having other peoples kids at your house every single week of the year, and now not even only on the weekends. I remember when I was in middle school. Some uncle had a huge house and people would go there on sunday, but it was occasionally, maybe once every three weeks. But here, everyday?

So last case scenario, Maybe it is actually the extended family, and they all dump their kids off at this couples house for some family under the table daycare, so if they are paying money to this couple for these six or seven kids. Just because it's family, does that mean you, don't need a business license, don't need a cpr certification, don't need a daycare license, and don't need training? So if you are doing business only within family, then you don't need need to follows laws and regulations?

Best case scenario, we catch someone doing an illegal business under the table, and either make them go legit or quit. Worst case scenario, they are fully qualified, and they just show all their paperwork to whomever and everyone moves on with their life. No damage done. I don't see why people are white knighting these people.
Josiegirl 02:37 AM 11-09-2017
Yes, all the details in the very beginning of your 1st post, made it sound like a retaliation effort going on. None of us have a clue because it's not seen directly through our own eyes. We're certainly not qualified to pass judgement as to what's going on.
Doesn't Hawaii have a department of children and families or a state child care agency that you could call and ask for information? If you get nowhere with that, ask whoever you do reach for help on reaching the right people. As was mentioned, have you talked with other neighbors about the situation?
I have to ask....do people really pay $1500 for childcare in Hawaii???? Where do you get that number?
Good luck with solving your questions and dilemma.
midaycare 03:53 AM 11-09-2017
$1500 for childcare per child? Is that a Hawaii thing? Because wow. As daycare providers we are used to people thinking we make so much money, but the reality is quite different.

Anyways, we were trying to help by saying possible things this could be besides a daycare, giving all options. I would think if it was a daycare, it would be highly obvious. Same cars dropping off and picking up at the same time each day.

I find it surprising you come to a daycare site and ask for help to shut down a daycare We are obviously pro daycare. Why don't you try a legal site? All the information you need can be found using Google. It takes me about 30 seconds. But quite frankly, I don't want to help.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:46 AM 11-09-2017
Today is wednesday, I was walking by the house and I saw one kid playing on a miniature playground, and then I heard from an open window two kids being noisy. One was a toddler, the other was a crying infant. None of those kids are theirs.

I regret explaining the whole situation. I see this phenomenon often. You explain the story, and the details, then people will construct their own narrative, and think it to be true then refuse to help you.

Someone said that you can have up to 6 kids if you are licensed. I don't think these people are licensed. I googled their address, nothing came up. No one in the neighborhood thinks they have a licensed daycare business.

Another wild guess I heard was that they were working from home. The husband is an ex firefighter. You think he works from home? Also he walks around permanently angry with a frown on his face. You think someone would willingly give their child to that? As for the mother working online, if shes working at home/online, whos taking care of the 6+ children/toddlers/infants?

So if they aren't working, how are they getting money? They are obviously getting like 1500 bucks a pop per child.

I thought that they ran the daycare only on the weekends, but again, i saw proof today that there are kids there on the weekdays too. Why are they keeping the kids inside on workdays? Probably so that they can hide under the cover of "oh the kids are just coming over for a pool party on the weekends". They don't want anyone to get suspicious so they keep them indoors on the weekdays, and let them into the pool on the weekends. I'm not sure what the three year old boy was doing alone and unattended outside outday. Maybe he managed to get loose when the infant started crying.

Someone else said that it could be the parent's friends or family kids or something. I don't think this is even reasonable to consider. I don't care how friendly you are with your family, having other peoples kids at your house every single week of the year, and now not even only on the weekends. I remember when I was in middle school. Some uncle had a huge house and people would go there on sunday, but it was occasionally, maybe once every three weeks. But here, everyday?

So last case scenario, Maybe it is actually the extended family, and they all dump their kids off at this couples house for some family under the table daycare, so if they are paying money to this couple for these six or seven kids. Just because it's family, does that mean you, don't need a business license, don't need a cpr certification, don't need a daycare license, and don't need training? So if you are doing business only within family, then you don't need need to follows laws and regulations?

Best case scenario, we catch someone doing an illegal business under the table, and either make them go legit or quit. Worst case scenario, they are fully qualified, and they just show all their paperwork to whomever and everyone moves on with their life. No damage done. I don't see why people are white knighting these people.
I typed that bolded question in google and it brings you directly to the DHS site for Hawaii (humanservices.hawaii.gov), so there is your answer. The phone number is on the bottom.

On the site, it says the license covers children who are unrelated to you, so if they are watching their familiy's children, then they can watch as many as they want it sounds like. I am sure if you research the info, you will find those answers.

But honestly, your whole post is speculation. The only thing you KNOW is that there are kids there sometimes, since you have seen them once or twice. You don't know their relation to the owners. You don't know if they make money watching them or even how much (and does it matter?). You don't know if anything they are doing is illegal, so if you are reporting them, it is off of speculation only. It sounds like retaliation for what the neighbor has done to you. And I get it. I have had some BAD neighbors in the past. But the one thing I have found is that those situation only got worse when I stooped to their level and continued the disagreement versus trying to rise above and move on. Some people are jerks, but that does not mean I have to be. It is always a choice.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 11-09-2017

I think you are far too involved in someone else's life....
If these people are so horrible, I'd want nothing to do with them. At all. I certainly wouldn't be spending so much time spying on and then making assumptions about what you think is going on.

I was in no way "white knighting" your neighbors and actually thought what a tough situation you have going on but with the addition of even more details (that say way more than the words actually do...) I think you might be just as "hard" to live next door to as they are.

If you truly wanted to know HOW to report, you'd have taken the information posted in POST #2 and used it. Instead you feel the need to come back and admonish those of us that didn't immediately jump to support you.

If you are truly concerned about the safety of these children, call CPS. It's not that hard to Google how to do that......if you are just trying to be as bothersome as your neighbor then you won't be getting any tips or pointers from me. People like your neighbor have a right to earn a legal living and how they do it, is frankly none of your business. IF however, they are illegal....report them.

What any of us on this forum think is irrelevant.
Cat Herder 06:08 AM 11-09-2017
That was answered with a direct link in the very first and second reply.

You could have found that answer, yourself, in 15 seconds if you had put forth 1/10th of the effort it took to post your OP here.

The answer was not what you were looking for. Be true to yourself. What is missing in your life?
SnowGirl 03:05 PM 11-09-2017
Wow, who knew this forum would require me to pop some popcorn?
Tags:hawaii, hawaii regulations, illegal daycare
Reply Up