Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Presents for Daycare Children
momma2girls 05:37 AM 11-08-2009
HI!
I have been doing daycare for over 6 yrs. now, and I was wondering if everyone purchased presents for daycare children?
I have every yr. that I have done daycare.
I usually spend about $10-$15.00 for each one.
SOme parents I don't even receive a thank you or nothing. Those parents, I didn't receive even a card from(which really urked me)
THen some parents will buy $1.00 candle(it's well worth the thought at least)
THen some purchase gifts and gift cards for me(what a great idea)
Just wondering if you's buy gifts, how much, and what do you receive back?
I know even a little card, to let you know you are appreciated would be great!!
Unregistered 06:05 AM 11-08-2009
Buy some neat toys they can play with at your daycare.
I'm getting a play tent with tunnels. A bit of an investment, but I know they will enjoy it, and it won't get left in the car, or tossed underneath a bed, or torn up due to lack of supervision.
If you feel bad not sending them home with something, buy some books from a scholastic book order and send those home, but save the rest of your money for something they will use all the time. At your house. That's probably where they spend a majority of their waking hours anyway.
melissa ann 07:24 AM 11-08-2009
Last year, I gave everyone a 3 pack of playdough, the girls got a doll and the boys got tractors.
The one family, I recieved nothing. At the time, they were the worse family to deal with.
The other family gave 2 books to each of the kids in the care, and I got a tin can of chocolate covered pretzels. Yumm! It even came from Hershey (we live about 30 mins away from Hershey) so it was the best choc covered preztels ever.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year.
momofsix 07:56 AM 11-08-2009
I always get something for the kids, about $15.00 worth. Some families more appreciative than others, as always.
I usually get something from each of them, but it can vary from a $50 dollar gift card to a box of candy. Whatever it is, I appreciate the thought, and some take the time to write out really nice cards--very thoughtful.
I was thinking about doing the same thing for them all this year--maybe each a book or something, but then, that takes some of the fun out of it too. Not sure yet!
seashell 08:17 AM 11-08-2009
I give each child a book and matching stuffed animal from Kohls. It cost's 10 for the set and they are very nice! A portion of the sale also benefits local children's charities so that makes it even better.

/some parents give nice gifts, others that crapy candy in a coffee cup that they sell at the dollar store. I don't expect gifts. It's nice to feel appreciated, but it's not part of the job description.
mac60 08:23 AM 11-08-2009
I have always given my group a Christmas present, usually $10 to $12 per child. Last year it was nice pajamas from JC Penneys for about $10 each during one of their sales. I have a dilema this year. My husband lost his job 6 weeks ago, and his inicome is now cut in half due to our state having such crappy unemployment, I don't know if we can make it on my income and his unemployment, let alone buy for Christmas gifts this year. I am really upset over this and not sure what to do. I told my own familiy and friends, Christmas is very slim this year, I am not sure what to do with my dc families.
cafemocha 09:07 AM 11-08-2009
For my daycare children I purchased hand puppets@ $3.00 each from Star-Brite Learning Program www.star-brite.com

They also have animal visors @ $2.00 each, Story Books with PC games @ $5.00 each.

I am on a tight budget..... the puppet are plush and cute.... great value for my money.
tymaboy 09:42 AM 11-08-2009
I always buy the kids Christmas & BDay gifts. I dont care if I get a gift back, although I like it when I do cuz it shows me that they appreciate me. Last year my one family gave me a card w/a gift card plus she made fudge. At that time she did not know that fudge is my downfall (LOVE IT) so for me its the simple things that make me happy.

At Easter the same family gave me a gift card - totaly did not expect that. My other families also gave me a card with chocolate & a plant for my BDay.
momofsix 12:33 PM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
I have always given my group a Christmas present, usually $10 to $12 per child. Last year it was nice pajamas from JC Penneys for about $10 each during one of their sales. I have a dilema this year. My husband lost his job 6 weeks ago, and his inicome is now cut in half due to our state having such crappy unemployment, I don't know if we can make it on my income and his unemployment, let alone buy for Christmas gifts this year. I am really upset over this and not sure what to do. I told my own familiy and friends, Christmas is very slim this year, I am not sure what to do with my dc families.
I would not stress about Christmas with daycare kids. Either get them something small like a hot wheel or something, or just skip the gifts all together. It's stressful enough when times are tight at the Holidays, and your dc families should not be expecting anything from you at all (except maybe to give YOU a raise!)
tinytotzdaycare 03:04 PM 11-08-2009
Each year I spend about $15 per child on a book and a gift.

This year we decided to do goody gift bags. I got the bags last year after christmas as well as some holiday novelty items on clearance as well..santa straws, erasers, mini notebooks...you get the point. SUPER CHEAP AFTER CHRISTMAS!!

I will also be incuding a My little Pony& Barbie for the girls this year and a dirtbike w/rider & Hot Wheel Car for the boys. (all my kiddos are 2-5) I also got these clearanced out after Christmas last year for $1 My little Pony and $2 per dirtbike!

Total they will be getting $30each worth of toys BUT I only paid $15each!!!

I also give each of my "families" a nice holiday card with a coupon for $20 off their childcare!! On each coupon I specify the date to be used so that not everyone uses them at the same time..they dont know this but its my little trick!! LOL!

We have a big holiday party Dec 23rd. Each child brings a treat to share and I make some goodies too! We all open our gifts and some parents choose to bring gifts for all the kiddos and some do not..their choice.

AS for MY GIFTS::::

I always got asked what I want this year??? About 4 years ago I started the gift tree, I put out a 3ft tree with paper mittens made by the kiddos..each one has something that we can use for the daycare on it...EVERY parent takes as least one mitten and on the day of the party they bring in the wrapped gift for the daycare..the kiddos open them!!
What items do I put on them??
**crayons, construction paper, glue sticks, toilet paper, paper towels, markers, outdoor sand toys (we use them in the winter with snow too), then I usually put a few toy items under $5 that may have gotten broken or are wornout. Just pick random items that you need or will use.

I do have a few parents that will grab from the tree and still begin "ME & HUBBY" a giftcard!!

I always personally give thank you cards to everyone for treats they bring to share, gifts, and such. This way they know I appreciate it too!

I LOVE THE CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!!!!
GretasLittleFriends 03:49 PM 11-08-2009
These are some great ideas!! This is my first Christmas having daycare children. I've been kicking around doing something. I did little Halloween grab bags for each of them. We live out in a rural area. I gave them the bag the last day they were here before Halloween, that way we could go out trick-or-treating with our children and not worry about them stopping by and missing out.

I would like to do a little something for each of my daycare kids. I really like the idea of the book/animal from Kohls, as they'd likely get the most use, however, that does add up fast. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. We might do book/animal from dollar stores instead.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 03:30 AM 11-09-2009
I would make a wonderful crafty card. Let the parents know that because of the situation that you arent able to buy for as many people this year and dont give it another thought. Your husband didnt give a gift to his employer did he? same actual thing, we are just attached to our dc kids. Bake some cookies, make a craft, the kids will never know the difference.

jen 07:17 AM 11-09-2009
I always get something for the daycare kids...usually between $15 and $20 per child.

My daycare-parents are all (well, all but one family) very, very generous to our family every year.
kitkat 07:41 AM 11-09-2009
I usually do about $10/child also. The pj idea is great...can't have enough pjs! The kids ALWAYS love McDonald's gift cards. I know it's not the healthiest, but it is Christmas. My son loves to bake brownies, so we actually asked for brownie mix for Christmas and bday if people asked for ideas. If you know what type of cookie your kids would like, I'd just bake them some and that's their gift. Most kids, not all, get so much stuff at Christmas. Sometimes I think they appreciate the treats more.
AmandasFCC 11:30 AM 11-09-2009
That was my thought, kitkat. I'm going to do gingerbread men for them that they can decorate themselves, and probably just a bag of treats.
ConcernedMotherof2 12:04 PM 11-09-2009
From the mom who has actually had to tell her children that Santa Clause makes mommy pay him and mommy doesn't have much money to give him, I have to say that home-made gifts are more than appropriate for daycare providers. Not only because it is just not financially possible for some of us to spend that much money, but it also teaches our children something important--Christmas is not about expensive gifts, it is about the people you care about.

While it is really nice for daycare providers to spend money on the kids at Christmas ($10-$15? adds up) and I've always appreciated it, it's not necessary. The neatest thing we ever did at daycare was a gift exchange where each of the kids was assigned to *make* a secret santa gift for another child. While I would love to give my daycare provider a gift card (since it's a center, there would be several gift cards), I simply cannot afford it... but that doesn't mean I appreciate them any less than the family that can afford it does. Each dollar store mug full of crappy candy that I hand out is one less stocking stuffer for my children...
jen 04:05 PM 11-09-2009
Here is an idea...

What if you sent the parents a note that this years, since the kids get so many gifts this time of year, you are going to change things up a bit and do a community service project with the kids instead. I don't know about your age group, but they can make cards for a local nursing home or collect books for the peds wing at the hospital...
ritashomedaycare 06:53 AM 11-10-2009
I'm thinking of spending $3-5 on each of my 3 kids that I have regularily. It also depends on how generous the parents are. For example one purchased stuff worth well over $30 for my daughter's birthday (we didn't even have a party), so I spent around $17 on a little party and some gifts on her kid. Mostly because I can't afford more. This is my job after all and we aren't paid that well, especially since some kids are more challenging than others.

I prefer to make lots of crafts with the kids for the parents and to present it together with a small Christmas (or whatever hoiday) gift on their last day before the holiday.
Unregistered 09:03 AM 11-10-2009
I have always given my children a gift. This year though I have 12 children between full time and part time care. That is a lot of money. Last year we had this great party and I gave the children their gifts. 2 children said thank you, thats it. Not a single parent said thank you or asked their children if they did. This indicates to me that parents just expect I will buy their children a gift. This year I just can't afford it though.

I was thinking of doing an exchange with the children. They could each pick a name and buy each other a gift for the party. Parents may not want to do this though as well. What do you think?
kiddiecare 09:43 AM 11-10-2009
I've always gotten stuff for the dcks in the past,one year i bought plane chalkboards kid size at walmart,painted glued and personlized each one, last year i made baskets with a personal present for each kid and a movie w/popcorn ect..BUT this year i am so broke that i just cant buy anything so i've been freezing over ripe bananas, shredded the zuccinis my friends gave me to freeze and have been stocking up on baking goods this month and will bake cookies and bread to put into baskets (from the goodwill) for each of my families, I am also gonna try to get some good pics of the dck (as well as mine) and have the kids decorate picture frames w/the picture of them to give as presents from them to their parents..
DBug 10:57 AM 11-10-2009
I got a great deal on fabric bags printed with my daycare name and website that I'm going to stuff with an inexpensive toy ($1 or $2), a story book, and a photo book of the dc kids over the year, printed and colour copied for minimal cost. I figure it'll be about $10 per kid.

I'm also spreading out my spending for the dc kids -- this is my first Christmas with them, and I haven't budgeted the cost of dc Christmas gifts into our expenses yet.

I have to admit though, marketing is my thing and while I love these kids and want to do something nice for them, my first thought for the bags was "What a great way to get my name out there and potentially find more clients!". Same with the photo books -- you wanna bet my daycare name will be all over it, so that whenever they show the pictures to other people, my name will be advertised as well. So, while my gift-giving isn't completely self-less, it does feel justifiable, spending that much on each kid. I feel like I'll make at least some of that money back eventually.
Chickenhauler 10:45 PM 11-10-2009
If you have kids whose parents have been a PITA to deal with over the year (letting the kids drink pop and candy and drop them off all sugared up or bringing inappropriate toys), now is your opportunity to repay the favor.

For those children, wrap up a high sugar energy drink, 3-4 King size candy bars, and top it all off with a cheap, loud drum.

Revenge......
GretasLittleFriends 05:50 AM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
If you have kids whose parents have been a PITA to deal with over the year (letting the kids drink pop and candy and drop them off all sugared up or bringing inappropriate toys), now is your opportunity to repay the favor.

For those children, wrap up a high sugar energy drink, 3-4 King size candy bars, and top it all off with a cheap, loud drum.

Revenge......
Hmmmmm.... Are you thinking of a particular child in this general suggestion?

If so, what's sad is in this child's case parent(s) would let the child have said drink and candy because it's the holiday (or birthday or they're only young once) and the loud toy would be a huge hit at home and also find it's way back to daycare. Oh, and you know that the parent(s) would allow the child the goodies (drinks & candy) in the car on the way to daycare. Child would waltz in the door with said candy in front of everyone else as child takes last bite rubbing it in to all other children that he gets spoiled...

I have decided to go the book/animal route. I'm not making my purchases from Kohls though. The dollar stores in the area have some pretty good selections. The animals the kids are getting are beanie-baby sized. The animal matches the book they're given. The one exception is one girl is getting a Little Mermaid book, and she's getting a mermaid doll instead of an animal. I'll be spending less than $5 per child. More like $2 or $3. I figure since it's my first year we'll keep it small, yet fun.
Childminder 09:06 AM 11-11-2009
I always give books to my DCK. I have for the couple of years gone on the website http://www.bookliquidator.com and get my books for $1-$2 each. The books are new condition but publisher overstocks that usually have a marker line on the edge to prevent them from being returned to the publisher. No minimum, which is nice and all the books that I have bought have been perfect condition hard covers. This way I can get each one 2 books and they look like they are getting a nicer gift. and I only spend $3-$5 each.

I have done the Kohl's book before but enrollment is down, the hubby is laid off, and I am trying to collect from a couple of deadbeats that have bounced checks.
tinytotzdaycare 11:15 AM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by DBug:
I got a great deal on fabric bags printed with my daycare name and website that I'm going to stuff with an inexpensive toy ($1 or $2), a story book, and a photo book of the dc kids over the year, printed and colour copied for minimal cost. I figure it'll be about $10 per kid.

I'm also spreading out my spending for the dc kids -- this is my first Christmas with them, and I haven't budgeted the cost of dc Christmas gifts into our expenses yet.

I have to admit though, marketing is my thing and while I love these kids and want to do something nice for them, my first thought for the bags was "What a great way to get my name out there and potentially find more clients!". Same with the photo books -- you wanna bet my daycare name will be all over it, so that whenever they show the pictures to other people, my name will be advertised as well. So, while my gift-giving isn't completely self-less, it does feel justifiable, spending that much on each kid. I feel like I'll make at least some of that money back eventually.

Can you offer the company name??? I get printed t-shirts with a local company and give each child one when they are enrolled, GREAT ADVERTISEMENT!! I like tha bag idea, we make them every year with fabric paint and canvas bags from oriental trading but offering a printed bag at enrollment would be fun too...if you have the name that would be great, Thanks!
mac60 01:02 PM 11-11-2009
Yes, I am interested in learning more too.
DBug 07:53 AM 11-12-2009
I'm a vistaprint reseller, so I get some pretty great deals on their stuff :-)But if you go to their website (www.vistaprint.com), there are some discounts and freebies they'll give you (business cards for example). I believe the bags (small size) are pretty affordable anyway, and the great thing is there's no minimum, so you can get exactly the amount you need.

But, you could also get blank bags from Michael's or wherever, and do iron-ons (or by hand if you're more creative than me), as a pp mentioned.

I also love the t-shirt idea -- I may go with that for next year!
tinytotzdaycare 06:11 AM 11-13-2009
Thanks Dbug, I am a HUGE fan of vista print. I get the emails everyweek for free items..I just pay shipping. Each year we enter parade floats for our daycare and I use these freebies to toss out on the parade route!

Calendars, Magnets, pens, T-shirts, Hats, and more! I love it! I also give newbie families a kiddo size t-shirt with our daycare name as well as a magnet and business cards and such for the parents. Nice they can toss the magnet on the fridge and cards in their wallet until they learn our number.

I also order many personalized items from oriental trading as well.
LittleExplorers 05:56 AM 01-10-2019
I spend $5 each and do special crafts for about the same cost for the parents. I usually do books with a special note. Kids have so much stuff. If my accountant says it is beneficial to spend money (think lower tax bracket, not just deductions) I buy my daycare gifts or things needed and the kiddos open and leave here.

Some I get gifts, others heartfelt cards and others nothing. I give because I want to and expect nothing in return. I teach my kiddos the spirit of giving. If it bugs you that you don't get things in return, stop giving anything.
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 07-28-2020
This thread is from 2009, but it is time to start Christmas shopping for the daycare at my house.

I usually spend about $35 per child, often more with party treats, decorations, craft supplies and seasonal classroom toys.

I often give out craft kits, art supply kits, book and stuffy sets, pajama and book sets, play dough sets, play tents, sleeping bags or wooden toys sets as child gifts.

Childhood IS the only time Christmas is magic. I enjoy my holidays through giving to them and my family. I would not want children to be aware of adult struggles at all during Christmas, we have twelve months to prepare for one magic morning per year.

I also have the kids make something for their parents as giving a gift is just as exciting as getting one for children.
Baby Beluga 02:22 PM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This thread is from 2009, but it is time to start Christmas shopping for the daycare at my house.

I usually spend about $35 per child, often more with party treats, decorations, craft supplies and seasonal classroom toys.

I often give out craft kits, art supply kits, book and stuffy sets, pajama and book sets, play dough sets, play tents, sleeping bags or wooden toys sets as child gifts.

Childhood IS the only time Christmas is magic. I enjoy my holidays through giving to them and my family. I would not want children to be aware of adult struggles at all during Christmas, we have twelve months to prepare for one magic morning per year.

I also have the kids make something for their parents as giving a gift is just as exciting as getting one for children.
Yep - here too. Especially with the uncertainty of covid and society concerns....
Kids have been through enough this year, I don't want Christmas to be different too.
flying_babyb 05:13 PM 07-30-2020
I buy a book for each kid in my class. Our director buys a game or something small for each of the kids to get during the party from "santa" who comes every year. And of course we line the kids up and take there picture on a nice photo background (there actually pretty cheap on amazon) then makes a photo frame craft.
Tags:2009, childhood memories, christmas, christmas activities, christmas cheer, christmas gifts, gift, gift card, holiday, iowa, parent - its a verb, presents, toys, treats
Reply Up