Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Providers That are Parents...
kendallina 07:41 PM 09-16-2010
For those providers that don't spank your own children, do you allow parents to spank their children in your (and your child's) presence? Is there a licensing rule that states that parents cannot spank at a daycare (obviously this varies by state)? I know when I worked in a center we told parents that they could not spank in our facility or on our grounds. What do you do?
misol 07:56 PM 09-16-2010
Did you hear that? It was the sound of a can of worms opening up!
kendallina 08:12 PM 09-16-2010
Shouldn't be. Not seeking a debate about spanking.

Simple question, do you allow your parents to spank in your presence? Yes or no would be fine. If no, I'd like to hear how to phrase that they cannot. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post public. Thanks.
DCMomOf3 08:19 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Did you hear that? It was the sound of a can of worms opening up!
If we are not careful! In reading my regs, I interpret them to include all people all the time although it doesn't specifically state who it applies to. Prohibited to me means NEVER ok, regardless of who. My regs say:

"actions that my be psychologically, emotionally or physically painful, discomforting, dangerous or potentially injurious are prohibited. Examples of prohibited actions include all of the following: 1. SPANKING, hitting, pinching, shaking, slapping, twisting, throwing, or inflicting any other form of corporal punishment on the child."
kendallina 08:24 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
If we are not careful! In reading my regs, I interpret them to include all people all the time although it doesn't specifically state who it applies to. Prohibited to me means NEVER ok, regardless of who. My regs say:

"actions that my be psychologically, emotionally or physically painful, discomforting, dangerous or potentially injurious are prohibited. Examples of prohibited actions include all of the following: 1. SPANKING, hitting, pinching, shaking, slapping, twisting, throwing, or inflicting any other form of corporal punishment on the child."
Got it. That's interesting, thanks for posting. I'm in a state where I don't have to be licensed (Ohio, I have under 6 kids), so I can't really 'fall back' on licensing regs, but it's good to know.
DCMomOf3 08:34 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Got it. That's interesting, thanks for posting. I'm in a state where I don't have to be licensed (Ohio, I have under 6 kids), so I can't really 'fall back' on licensing regs, but it's good to know.
I would tell your parents that although you are not licensed, you intend to follow the regs when possible and that the section regarding guidance and discipline you fully intend to enforce. What would happen if a parent spanked in your home and the child got injured from it? I personally would feel partially responsible for allowing it to happen.
kendallina 08:45 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
I would tell your parents that although you are not licensed, you intend to follow the regs when possible and that the section regarding guidance and discipline you fully intend to enforce. What would happen if a parent spanked in your home and the child got injured from it? I personally would feel partially responsible for allowing it to happen.
Yeh, I think that's what I'm going to do...I always tell parents that I follow the regs closely, but this is a new one for me.
Thanks
melskids 02:55 AM 09-17-2010
i dont even know what my regs are right now, i'd have to look it up, other then i know i cant spank others kids, which i wouldnt do anyway....but, i dont allow anyone to spank their kids at my house. (there really is no reason too anyway. pick up and drop offs should happen fast enough to not give the kids a reason to misbehave in the first place.) i would never spank my kids in front of daycare kids either, i think that would open a can of worms!!! i'm not against spanking, but i just dont do it. i use other methods with my own that seem to work better for me. (my 7 yr old HATES having things taken away, i.e. - playstation, so thats what i do)
mac60 03:02 AM 09-17-2010
Simply YES! Parents need to step up and be a parent. And just wondering.....since when did a spanking become corporal punishment.
DBug 03:08 AM 09-17-2010
I've never had this come up, but I would hope the parent would give the child enough warning for me to be able to say something like "For liability reasons, wait until you get to your car before giving the spanking". That way the child would be signed out and out of my care, as well as out of the sight of the other kids. Before doing daycare though, I was watching a friend's daughter. Mom was trying to get her out the door and she just wanted to keep playing. If it was my kid, I would have just picked her up and carried her out the door, but the Mom gave her a swat on the backside instead. No warning, no ultimatum.

I have to admit, if that happened now, I think the words "We don't hit. You need to go sit on the step" might pop out of my mouth before I knew it
Crystal 07:25 AM 09-17-2010
It wouldn't matter to me if it's against regs or not. It's against my philosophy of care. Keep it at home, or face my wrath in my home.
MarinaVanessa 08:23 AM 09-17-2010
I know that the thread starts with "for parents that don't spank" but even though I'm a parent that chooses to spank (very rarely) I don't do it during daycare hours with my own child. Having said that, again even though I choose to spank, I would not allow another parent to spank in my home during daycare hours.
Tags:spanking
Reply Up