Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Dread Lunchtime
Tdhmom 09:41 AM 10-29-2013
Every single day I ask everyone "if you need to potty please do it now before we sit down for lunch." And every single day 5 min after sitting down, one person starts the chain reaction "I need to potty". And then 4 more chime in how they need to potty. So I have to make sure all 5 kids go without playing with the roll of toilet paper (happened one too many times!) and make sure they all 5 wash their hands. So now lunch time which is also quiet time that SHOULD last 15-20 min turns into 30 of everyone talking over the other so the noise just escalates cause I'm not in the room! Ugh I DO NOT LIKE LUNCH TIME!!!!!!!
daycarediva 09:46 AM 10-29-2013
Easy fix, tomorrow they all go potty before lunch. Don't ask, tell. "We are all going to use the potty and wash hands before lunch. Susie will go first and then she will chose a friend to go second."

Mine TRY the same thing, but since we JUST went, I remind them that they can wait to try again in a little while.
Tdhmom 09:48 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Easy fix, tomorrow they all go potty before lunch. Don't ask, tell. "We are all going to use the potty and wash hands before lunch. Susie will go first and then she will chose a friend to go second."

Mine TRY the same thing, but since we JUST went, I remind them that they can wait to try again in a little while.
Definitely doing this tomorrow! Thanks!
butterfly 09:52 AM 10-29-2013

That's how I do it too. I have to have the kids wash their hands with running water before meals anyways, so it's just as easy to have the kids potty first and then wash their hands.
lovemykidstoo 09:53 AM 10-29-2013
I have them all go before too.
Soccermom 10:03 AM 10-29-2013
I also change all diapers and have everyone go potty and wash their hands before lunch.

I have a no getting up from your chairs rule during meals too and I enforce it. If they get up from their chairs without permission it means they are done and I remove their food. I also don't tolerate loudness and hyperactivity during meals. (I am so afraid they will choke). I sit right at the table with them during meals and I find it keeps them more calm. We talk about our morning or what we are going to do this afternoon.

I will also move a child who isn't listening or following the rules to the craft table to eat.

I am strict but it makes things so much easier because I used to hate mealtimes too!
My3cents 11:33 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I also change all diapers and have everyone go potty and wash their hands before lunch.

I have a no getting up from your chairs rule during meals too and I enforce it. If they get up from their chairs without permission it means they are done and I remove their food. I also don't tolerate loudness and hyperactivity during meals. (I am so afraid they will choke). I sit right at the table with them during meals and I find it keeps them more calm. We talk about our morning or what we are going to do this afternoon.

I will also move a child who isn't listening or following the rules to the craft table to eat.

I am strict but it makes things so much easier because I used to hate mealtimes too!
I too have a no getting up rule, because if I let one up to play when done, everyone would be done eating.
My3cents 11:28 AM 10-29-2013

coolconfidentme 03:55 AM 10-30-2013

Tags:bathroom use, lunch issues, meal routines, meal time troubles, staying seated
Reply Up