Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas
Disneyfan 11:04 AM 10-29-2014
We put our family Christmas tree up in our living room. This year I will have 3 little ones who will more thank likely be messing with it. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to somewhat block it from them? I really want to keep the tree in our living room for our family to enjoy.
Cat Herder 11:08 AM 10-29-2014
Aghhhhhhh....

So. Not. Ready.

That is all.
melilley 11:10 AM 10-29-2014
You could put it by a wall or in a corner and put a gate around it, the play yard type. I think that's what I'm going to have to do this year.
melilley 11:13 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Aghhhhhhh....

So. Not. Ready.

That is all.
I LOVE the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays!
I LOVE the Christmas music. We have a station here that plays it and I have it on all the time.
I LOVE going to the stores and seeing the decorations.
I (most of the time) LOVE shopping for Christmas!
I LOVE making treats.
Love it
Love it
Love it!

My dh hates the holidays. He's a retail manager, I can't blame him.
KSDC 11:13 AM 10-29-2014
In my home, I am blessed to have a separate family room upstairs that the DC munchkins don't go in. So, the family tree is in there.

I do put up a tree in the DC play room. We take an artificial tree, bend the branches to the front, and hang it on the wall in the corner. That way it is far enough up in the air that the littles can't reach the ornaments.
DaveA 11:16 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Aghhhhhhh....

So. Not. Ready.

Not even close to ready.

We put ours in the corner & use one of the "baby jail" play yards around it.
NeedaVaca 11:18 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I LOVE the Christmas music. We have a station here that plays it and I have it on all the time.
I LOVE making treats.
Love it
Love it
Love it!

This is exactly me!! Love it all, love making memories with my kids!

I put a ornament that's a bell towards the bottom of my tree and teach the kids that is the ONLY ornament they can touch(they can jingle the bell)! If anyone touches anything else they can't touch for the rest of the day, usually only takes a couple of days but I'm not sure how young your dck's are
Baby Beluga 01:31 PM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I LOVE making treats.
Love it
Love it
Love it!

Me too! My DD and I enjoying going to hobby lobby just to walk around and look at Christmas trees.

I have a separate DC space then my living room. But, when my own daughter was little I put our tree on a side table. We have nine foot ceilings and our tree was 6.5 feet. It being on the table left just enough room to where she couldn't pull anything off.
CraftyMom 03:20 PM 10-29-2014
Depends on the ages I guess. Last year I had all 1 and 2 year olds. The bottom was decorated in non breakables (as usual, since I have kids). They were all reminded everyday not to touch...they ended up being banned from the living room for a week. We tried again, they did better, but after a couple of days they were banned again. Tried again a couple days later and they were fine for the rest of the season.
Hazel 04:02 PM 10-29-2014
This year is gonna be really tough with the tree. My house is a straight through, meaning living room open to dining room and a door into the kitchen... I used the living room as the playroom and use the dining room as a living room. I use furniture (love seat) to separate the rooms, but that also means my living room is TINY.... I USUALLY have the tree in the playroom, in the corner behind the love seat but this year I have ALOT of toddlers! I thought about putting a gate around it but I don't have one of those big ones and at Christmas, I can't afford ANOTHER expense
Usually I put sturdier, less expensive ornaments at the bottom just in case someone gets grabby... Lol. But this year I have a feeling it's going to be a daily battle. As it is, I put the tree up a couple days before Christmas and it's down that first weekend after the new year so I don't have to deal with the hassle ... This year is gonna stink if I can't come up with something.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:52 PM 10-29-2014
I do lots and lots of reminding. And I often push the coffee table up in front of the tree during the day while the kids are here (tree's in a corner, so it pretty much blocks it off).
sahm1225 06:47 PM 10-29-2014
Two years ago, I put up the tree and didn't her a chance to put the ornaments on for another week. By then the excitement of the tree was gone. Maybe that would help?
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 10-30-2014
I tie my tree to the wall so it can't be pulled over. Then breakables go to the top, all other ornaments on the bottom. I let them touch to a limit. I have Disney ornaments and the like so of course, they're going to want to check them out. I use the word Gentle a LOT. No tinsel. If they get really unruly you can always block it, then unblock after hours.
Tags:christmas, christmas decorations, christmas ornaments, christmas tree, holidays - over it
Reply Up