Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2015, 04:02 AM
Jus-clus's Avatar
Jus-clus Jus-clus is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3
Default Infants Can't Sleep in Strollers Outside?

Feeling frustrated. I work in a daycare in CT. Just been told we can no longer allow infants to sleep in a stroller, so when a baby falls asleep when we are outside we now have to IMMEDIATELY come inside and put the sleeping infant in its crib. Of course that means the others have to come in too because one teacher can't be outside alone, so if no other classes are out we all have to come in. Also we have to keep ratios correct so even if another class is outside I have to bring 2 others in too. (Group of 6/2teachers). I have a 3 month old who always falls asleep outside, and an older infant who's nap time is when we go out. I am told it is CT state guidelines which state that an infant may not be put to sleep in a stroller or car seat etc. it seems insane that we can't spend time outside anymore, we all need the fresh air. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus-clus View Post
Feeling frustrated. I work in a daycare in CT. Just been told we can no longer allow infants to sleep in a stroller, so when a baby falls asleep when we are outside we now have to IMMEDIATELY come inside and put the sleeping infant in its crib. Of course that means the others have to come in too because one teacher can't be outside alone, so if no other classes are out we all have to come in. Also we have to keep ratios correct so even if another class is outside I have to bring 2 others in too. (Group of 6/2teachers). I have a 3 month old who always falls asleep outside, and an older infant who's nap time is when we go out. I am told it is CT state guidelines which state that an infant may not be put to sleep in a stroller or car seat etc. it seems insane that we can't spend time outside anymore, we all need the fresh air. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I am pretty sure most state's have adopted the same safe sleep practices or at least very similar ones.

The way I get around having to come in is to either have a PNP outside for infants to sleep in or hold them.

My state regulations say infants must sleep in an approved crib or PNP and no car seats, swings or bouncy seats etc. We CAN however hold them while they sleep.

A lot of licensor's have said that babies can't be held when sleeping but when challenged to show the written rule stating that, they relented and admitted that there is no written rule saying we can't hold them.

If I were you, I'd actually question licensing about the same scenario you posted above in regards to what you should do in that situation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

I set up a pack n play outdoors, too. It's good policy not to let them sleep in a stroller.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I set up a pack n play outdoors, too. It's good policy not to let them sleep in a stroller.
I would do this too. They just need to be laid flat while asleep so the airways are not obstructed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Positional asphyxiation. Bring a pack and play outside.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

I use a small pack n play too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Fiddlesticks's Avatar
Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 162
Default

We cannot allow infants to sleep in a stroller, either. I asked my licensor what should I do if the infant falls asleep while we are on a walk and she said wake the infant. I don't take walks with infants anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2015, 06:36 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is offline
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Next door
Posts: 2,188
Default

Ugh I know it is a catch 22. We can not hold a sleeping baby either. We must use a crib or pack n play or play yard but not a playpen. We must not share bedding and bedding must be washed weekly. It is a requirement to go outside. So I have to create my schedule around the baby sleeping. Of course each baby has a different pattern so my schedule is ever changing. Just added a baby, so things are changing again. (the main structure part stays the same, just shifted a few minutes here or there)

I would recommend having a brainstorming meeting with the other teachers. Toss around an ideas on ways to work together, following the rules keeping the kids safe, while still getting fresh air.
__________________
Come join us on the new site.

https://forum.daycare.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Jus-clus's Avatar
Jus-clus Jus-clus is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3
Default Thank you all!

Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe the pack and play would work, but just the thought of having to get a PNP (or two....) outside as well as the babies makes me sigh! I need a few extra pairs of arms!
As for "wake the sleeping infant" - ha! So not happening!
Adjusting schedule is hard because we share the outside area with other classes, but yesterday we switched times with the toddler group, and that worked out ok. Not sure how often we will have that flexibility......
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus-clus View Post
Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe the pack and play would work, but just the thought of having to get a PNP (or two....) outside as well as the babies makes me sigh! I need a few extra pairs of arms!
As for "wake the sleeping infant" - ha! So not happening!
Adjusting schedule is hard because we share the outside area with other classes, but yesterday we switched times with the toddler group, and that worked out ok. Not sure how often we will have that flexibility......
Maybe there is some way you could keep them set up under a tarp or something so you don't have to set them up each time? Might be a good idea to get some second hand ones just for the outdoor area.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2015, 06:47 PM
kitykids3's Avatar
kitykids3 kitykids3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 589
Default

So in CT, you can't have a baby sleeping inside with a monitor?
__________________
daymommy to 7 kiddos - 5 girls and 2 boys
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

I understand the reasoning for the rule but my question would be don't most strollers for young babies have a flat position so you can adjust it so the baby is lying flat? Would this be sufficient?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2015, 04:05 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitykids3 View Post
So in CT, you can't have a baby sleeping inside with a monitor?
I'm in NY and we are an "everyone in, everyone out" state.
It's why I don't really take infants and when I do work very hard to get them on to a set schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-09-2015, 05:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
I understand the reasoning for the rule but my question would be don't most strollers for young babies have a flat position so you can adjust it so the baby is lying flat? Would this be sufficient?
I thought the same thing about basic Moses baskets since they're so portable. Maybe they don't trust the different interpretations and positions of so many other pieces of equipment, so they restricted it to two?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus-clus View Post
Appreciate the suggestions. Maybe the pack and play would work, but just the thought of having to get a PNP (or two....) outside as well as the babies makes me sigh! I need a few extra pairs of arms!
As for "wake the sleeping infant" - ha! So not happening!
Adjusting schedule is hard because we share the outside area with other classes, but yesterday we switched times with the toddler group, and that worked out ok. Not sure how often we will have that flexibility......
I have one I leave outside.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Jus-clus's Avatar
Jus-clus Jus-clus is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3
Default Thanks to everyone!

We are going to see about getting a waterproof storage bin/shed to keep a pack and play or two in. Seems to be the best option. Definitely not allowed to use a monitor, and were told even fully reclined strollers are not acceptable. I think something must have happened......😕
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crib, infant, sleeping, stroller

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supervision/2nd Floor daycare57 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 87 09-16-2015 03:52 PM
How Do You Get Infants To Sleep In Same Room? winpiglet Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 04-04-2015 04:43 PM
Infant Sleep Experience For Providers nannyde Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 09-29-2014 11:53 AM
Infants Sleep mema Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 10-11-2012 07:43 PM
How To Get Infants To Sleep With Preschoolers Around Nickel Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-26-2012 06:01 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming