Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do Your Infants Take to Eat?
midaycare 06:10 AM 12-02-2016
I have a 4 month old that takes about 20-30 minutes to finish 3 ounces. It wasn't originally this way... dck would suck down ounces, but dcm thought it was too fast, so she kept switching bottles until she found one that was really slow. She wants it to mimic breastfeeding as much as possible.

I did not breastfeed (my milk never came in), so I really don't know anything here. Is it normal to take this long? My other infants don't/haven't...
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a 4 month old that takes about 20-30 minutes to finish 3 ounces. It wasn't originally this way... dck would suck down ounces, but dcm thought it was too fast, so she kept switching bottles until she found one that was really slow. She wants it to mimic breastfeeding as much as possible.

I did not breastfeed (my milk never came in), so I really don't know anything here. Is it normal to take this long? My other infants don't/haven't...
That seems on the longer end of normal...lol! My infant (almost 5 months) takes about 20 minutes to drink 4 ounces.

I found this info:

Always check the size of the hole in the nipple. Turn the bottle upside down and shake it. This will show you if the formula or breast milk is coming through the nipple at the right speed. The flow is okay if you get a little spray of liquid, and then a few drops. The liquid is flowing too quickly if it pours or spurts out. It is flowing too slowly if only a drop or two comes out.

Your baby will give you clues about the milk flow if you watch him suck. He may choke or gulp if the nipple hole is too large. The flow may be too fast if milk leaks out of the corners of his mouth. He may have to suck harder if the nipple hole is too small. This can cause him to swallow a lot of air. He may also stop sucking or act fussy during a feeding if the nipple hole is too small.

and this info:

How often do I feed my baby and how long should each feeding take?

Feed your baby on demand. This means feed your baby every time he seems hungry. He may be more alert, make sounds with his lips, move around more, or stick out his tongue. He may also place his fist in his mouth and suck on it. Crying is a late sign of hunger. Your baby should eat on demand about every 2 to 3 hours or 8 to 12 times a day. Each feeding should take about 20 minutes. Feedings may take longer if your baby has a medical problem or has trouble sucking or swallowing.

https://www.drugs.com/cg/bottle-feeding-your-baby.html
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 12-02-2016
Totally off topic but I literally spit my coffee out reading your avatar!

I can TOTALLY relate!! My DH made me breakfast this morning and I had to keep showing the dog I had none left....he kept looking at me like I was holding out... I totally felt like your avatar!
midaycare 06:27 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Totally off topic but I literally spit my coffee out reading your avatar!

I can TOTALLY relate!! My DH made me breakfast this morning and I had to keep showing the dog I had none left....he kept looking at me like I was holding out... I totally felt like your avatar!
My German Shepherd just hit his 3rd bday and he is being a brat. Acts like a teenager around food. Every time I have food, he gets all up in my business. When I'm done he smells me, licks me, and acts like I'm hiding something. He's a big, adorable goof.
284878 07:18 AM 12-03-2016
My bf dcb uses a glass bottle with small silicone nipple. Dcb is done with a 6 oz bottle in15 minutes. He is currently using nipple #3. When dcb took longer DCM upped the nipple #, I also found I tighten the cap more than I should, which would slow him down. (I seemed to tighten the glass bottle more than the plastic ones)
I bf Dd and she would be done in 15 minutes. When you pump it should only be 10-15 minutes at a time.

Check out
http://kellymom.com
midaycare 11:36 AM 12-04-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
My bf dcb uses a glass bottle with small silicone nipple. Dcb is done with a 6 oz bottle in15 minutes. He is currently using nipple #3. When dcb took longer DCM upped the nipple #, I also found I tighten the cap more than I should, which would slow him down. (I seemed to tighten the glass bottle more than the plastic ones)
I bf Dd and she would be done in 15 minutes. When you pump it should only be 10-15 minutes at a time.

Check out
http://kellymom.com
I don't know why, but this dcm is obsessed with dcb eating slowly.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:49 PM 12-04-2016
This can be common for breastfeeding mothers. If the baby gets used to a faster flow, they may get frustrated with the slower flow of the breast and if mom is not producing, the baby may be rejecting the breast altogether. This happened with a family i was a nanny for. Mom tried 5 different bottles and numerous different nipples to try to mimic breastfeeding. She literally made me think she was losing it and after a few more weeks, it ended up being the only nanny job i ever left.
jenboo 05:46 PM 12-04-2016
I have one dcb who drinks 4 oz in about 5-8 minutes. I personally think the nipple is too fast. With my ds, we used preemie nipples for a long time. We bumped up to size 1 around 6 months. When he was close to a year old, we used size two. It would take him about 15 min maybe to drink 4oz. Nursing usually took 15-20
midaycare 06:14 PM 12-04-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have one dcb who drinks 4 oz in about 5-8 minutes. I personally think the nipple is too fast. With my ds, we used preemie nipples for a long time. We bumped up to size 1 around 6 months. When he was close to a year old, we used size two. It would take him about 15 min maybe to drink 4oz. Nursing usually took 15-20
I think that sounds right. I'm spending double that right now.
jenboo 06:33 PM 12-04-2016
Even with a preemie nipple, my son was done in 20 min max.
jenboo 06:34 PM 12-04-2016
I would start teaching baby to hold their own bottle
midaycare 07:54 PM 12-04-2016
I would start teaching baby to hold their own bottle
Right?!?!?! "Here ya go dck, time to learn to fend for yourself"
jenboo 03:15 AM 12-05-2016
Right?!?!?! "Here ya go dck, time to learn to fend for yourself"
Exactly
I always tell them i don't have time for this

I say it in a sweet voice of course
midaycare 04:07 AM 12-05-2016
Exactly
I always tell them i don't have time for this

I say it in a sweet voice of course
Lol, I love starting my Monday laughing
Blackcat31 05:52 AM 12-05-2016
Do you think it could maybe be just mom wanting to extend the close bonding time that nursing provides her?

Maybe because she is a working mom and feeling guilty she is trying to train baby to eat slowly so she can spend the time with him?
midaycare 07:14 AM 12-05-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you think it could maybe be just mom wanting to extend the close bonding time that nursing provides her?

Maybe because she is a working mom and feeling guilty she is trying to train baby to eat slowly so she can spend the time with him?
This may be one reason, but if I had to use my best guess...she just got her nursing degree and has become super healthy/obsessed. This mom is the one who was frantic about baby eating more than a few ounces at daycare. Worried dcb would start expecting more from the breast.

I think she's spending too much time on breastfeeding mom forums, as well as using her nursing knowledge to freak herself out.

She does work, but it's 2-4 days a week, and 2 of those are weekend days, when baby is with dad. She spends a good amount of time with baby.

All that said, I was crazy DS'S first year. So I'm not judging
Pestle 11:33 AM 12-07-2016
I don't remember nursing taking 20 minutes when I was breastfeeding, but then again, I had an oversupply issue for the first 6 months or so. Very heavy flow.

I have a child who started care at 3 months and this is the system we use each day:

-A couple of minutes chilling after arrival
-Tummy time until he fusses
-Change diaper
-Into the Ergo so he can nap (AP mom--he won't sleep in a crib for me)
-A bottle when he wakes up

Before we got on that routine, feedings took forever and he was spending half the day fussy because he wanted the comfort of a bottle nipple in his mouth (he uses a pacifier at home but won't take one with me). Now that I get him tired out and then have him sleep for a while, he wakes up with an appetite, chugs through his bottle, and is cheerful and ready to play until he's actually, genuinely hungry again.
Tags:infant, infant - meals
Reply Up