Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Year Old Won't Stay In Bed
sahm2three 07:21 AM 12-17-2010
I don't know what to do. He crawls out of the pack n play, so he has been on a mat on the floor for a couple months (JUST turned 2). No matter what I do, he will not stay there. I have even tried time outs for not listening (he HATES time outs, and really responds well to them outside of this situation). Even if I stand there, I get him all tucked in, and the moment I stand up he is up. I tell him no, lie down, and he bawls. I tried rubbing his back until I think he is about asleep and I stand up and he bounces right up. UGH. I need him to rest so I can get a break! Between him and the colicky baby, days are getting LONG. Any ideas?
Live and Learn 08:12 AM 12-17-2010
I think nannyde uses pnp with really tall sides ...maybe she will respond...
Good Luck!
momma2girls 08:19 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I think nannyde uses pnp with really tall sides ...maybe she will respond...
Good Luck!
Is there a pnp with really long sides?
SilverSabre25 08:25 AM 12-17-2010
I had a boy like this--he was climbing out of the pack n play, and it took a bit of effort buy I have him trained beautifully now. You could do this with a mat, too--

I laid him down, and as soon as he got up, I would be right there to lay him back down. No words, nothing. Just lay him back down. Eventually, he got the hint and laid down long enough to fall asleep. It took 45 minutes the first day. 15 the second day, and 5 the third. I did have to sit within sight of him until he was asleep until just recently.

I also have a 2.5 yo who gets up if I don't sit within sight of him until he's asleep. It takes patience and perseverence, but I get a book, sit down, and use the time to relax.

It might take sitting there until he's asleep everyday, it might take a few weeks to get him where you want him, but in the long run, it will be worth it.
melskids 08:32 AM 12-17-2010
i do the same as silver sabre. take the time to read a book, magazine, laptop, anything. i gather my paperwork and bring it with me. sometimes i just sit there and meditate. the little girl who gives me trouble, still wont sleep, but she at least lays there quietly, and i am now able to get up and leave her there.
sahm2three 08:36 AM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I had a boy like this--he was climbing out of the pack n play, and it took a bit of effort buy I have him trained beautifully now. You could do this with a mat, too--

I laid him down, and as soon as he got up, I would be right there to lay him back down. No words, nothing. Just lay him back down. Eventually, he got the hint and laid down long enough to fall asleep. It took 45 minutes the first day. 15 the second day, and 5 the third. I did have to sit within sight of him until he was asleep until just recently.

I also have a 2.5 yo who gets up if I don't sit within sight of him until he's asleep. It takes patience and perseverence, but I get a book, sit down, and use the time to relax.

It might take sitting there until he's asleep everyday, it might take a few weeks to get him where you want him, but in the long run, it will be worth it.

I have had him since June, and I do all that you are saying above. Lie him back down with no words and no eye contact. Over and over and over. I have to physically lie down by him and keep an arm over him to keep him lying down. But I DON'T want to do that. I have thought about getting one of those nets to put over the pack n play, but not sure whether that would be ok in my regs. We do the same routine every day, lunch, book, bed. Everyone does fine except for him. He is a good kid, nap time is just no fun.
DreamBig 04:39 PM 12-17-2010
I work in a daycare centre and we have a 17 month old who doesn't sleeping, will not stay on his cot and is constantly getting up and climbing on top of the other children and waking them up. So we take a couple of shelves and block off an area just for him so that he can get up and play but he doesn't have access to the other sleeping children. (We can still supervise him perfectly.) It works extremely well for him to have his own little area without being able to physically disturb the other children. The only problem we have now is that he chooses nap time as his most vocal time of the day so he can get quite loud and sometimes wake the others that way.
Abigail 05:01 PM 12-17-2010
Did he nap just fine in the pack n play before he started climbing out? How long did it take him to go down then? Finally, are you placing the mats and pack n plays in different areas of the house? Maybe try moving where his mat is located or who is near him. Ask his parents if he is sleeping more at home or if they put him down for a nap on weekends and talk to them because maybe they have a "trick".
SilverSabre25 07:45 PM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I have had him since June, and I do all that you are saying above. Lie him back down with no words and no eye contact. Over and over and over. I have to physically lie down by him and keep an arm over him to keep him lying down. But I DON'T want to do that. I have thought about getting one of those nets to put over the pack n play, but not sure whether that would be ok in my regs. We do the same routine every day, lunch, book, bed. Everyone does fine except for him. He is a good kid, nap time is just no fun.
Ugh, that sucks then. I don't blame you for not wanting to physically hold him down. Does he need a room of his own, music, no music, white noise, complete silence, a show to be on? Have you asked his parents how they get him to nap?
nannyde 02:33 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I don't know what to do. He crawls out of the pack n play, so he has been on a mat on the floor for a couple months (JUST turned 2). No matter what I do, he will not stay there. I have even tried time outs for not listening (he HATES time outs, and really responds well to them outside of this situation). Even if I stand there, I get him all tucked in, and the moment I stand up he is up. I tell him no, lie down, and he bawls. I tried rubbing his back until I think he is about asleep and I stand up and he bounces right up. UGH. I need him to rest so I can get a break! Between him and the colicky baby, days are getting LONG. Any ideas?
http://www.fantasytoyland.com/elfacplayyar.html

Whopping 26 inches deep.

How deep is your play yard measuring on the INSIDE from the top of the mattress upward to the lowest point on the railing.
Tags:sleep problems
Reply Up