Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Plan To Have 2nd Child, How Can I Have Daycare W/ My Own Newborn? Experience Anyone?
Unregistered 02:05 PM 01-05-2011
My husband and I want to have a 2nd child this year. Our son is 2.5yrs now. I have 4-5 2 yr olds here every day, with my assistant here 9am-1pm. How would this work with a newborn? Is it possible? I know I'd probably have to have a full time substitute for around 2-3 months. And how about working while preganant? I've worked at a preschool last time, but everyone else really pitched in and helped me out. I'm here by myself all afternoon, can I survive? Any positive or negative experiences to be shared? Thank you!!
laundrymom 04:32 PM 01-05-2011
Relax,...... It is just a learning curve. I'll try to send a longer response tomorrow. But rest assured,.... Its like anything else. I've done it 4 times. But I have pressing business tonight. My 9 yr old is doing taylor swifts love story on her Uke!!!! She's gonna rock the talent show
sahm1225 04:59 PM 01-05-2011
Im curious to see others responses to this.

I was pregnant when I started daycare and it wasn't bad at all. I only had 2 kids (3 and 5) and my own 1 yr old. We went on lots of walks and were active all summer (which I am thinking is the reason labor wasn't so bad the 2nd time around!) Having the newborn wasn't hard. I was able to nurse when she wanted and she would nap in her bassinet while the kids played. She adapted to sleeping with a lot of noise which was great.

I want to have another baby and now I have 8-12 kids on a daily basis (with an assistant) and Im wondering about how hard it's going to be..
melskids 02:18 AM 01-06-2011
my older son was 4 when i started daycare. my second son was born into it. it really wasnt that big of an adjustment. he fit right in just like an other kid, really. the hardest part for me was the end of the pregnancy, when i was HUGE and exhausted. having the baby join the DC was the easy part....lol. it also helped that he slept through the night right away!!!
boysx5 04:01 AM 01-06-2011
I started daycare when my second son was six weeks old I then went on to have three more sons and while it was hard to manage it all it is doable just takes time and patience. It was well worth and it for me and my family now my youngest is seven and I'm still doing daycare I will say it does get easier as your kids get older. Good luck to you
SilverSabre25 06:26 AM 01-06-2011
I am pregnant right now with my second. I am not too worried about mixing newborn with daycare--newborn sleep 3/4 of the day (or more) anyway. I babywear and breastfeed, so that's certainly going to be easy. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I looked at the ages/stages of kiddos I would have when the babe was born and have been very selective in new kids I have taken on--I will have all walking, talking, potty training kiddos by that point. I am planning on transitioning most of the kids to cots rather than pack n plays before the baby is born, too--thus limiting the lifting and carrying. For me, it's all about the advanced planning, lol.

As for being pregnant while doing daycare, I haven't found it to be too hard. I'm tired, some of the housework is slipping a bit during the week, but nothing that can't be made up over the weekend. Being sick is a bit tough and I have had to dash away from everyone in order to go throw up, but since I'm still within hearing range (since they all follow me and one of them screams bloody murder if I'm out of sight) I'm still within legal limits.
MarinaVanessa 08:20 AM 01-06-2011
I have DD 6 and 2 FT kids. One DCB 18 months and DCG 3 yr when I had my baby almost 2 months ago. It wasn't too bad. When I was pregnant I would get tired but would rest during nap time and kick my feet up. Near the due date I wrote a letter to my families describing the plan once I went into labor.
* If I went into labor during a weekend
- Everyone would be notified and daycare would be closed the following week
- Back-up daycare was the responsibility of the parents
- I was using my 5 days vacation during this time so it would be paid
* If I went into labor during non-daycare hours during the week
- Everyone would be notified and a substitute (my sister) would cover the rest of the week
- Daycare would be closed the week after
* If I went into labor during daycare hours
- Everyone would be called and their children would need to be picked up
- A substitute (my sister) would cover the rest of the week
- Daycare would be closed the week after

I was careful to be very specific and so I had no issues at all. Once my week off was over I felt great and so caring for my infant and DC kids wasn't a problem at all. Sometimes I would get tired but not to bad and deffinetely not something that I couldn't live through. I just had to plan activities a little different and did alot of prep work the day before so that I could hold my infant if I had to while we did activities. I also sometimes put him in a back-pack carrier (the baby pouch that sits in front of you) while I clean, prepare food, when we go on walks etc.

A month later I took on 2 siblings and I have to admit that it was a little hard at first. I was tired again but I think that If I would have taken in a single child and then added another later it wouldn't have been so bad. Doubling my daycare kids all at once was a little crazy but again, I survived and they adjusted.

Once your baby comes if you already have DC kids, adding 1 more (even an infant) shouldn't be too bad. If you aren't full I deffinetely recommend waiting until you were adjusted to having your infant before adding any more kids to your group and adding them one at a time. I will tell you though, I don't get the same chance to come to the forum as I used to since he needs so much attention, not to mention that I enjoy holding him and playing with him so much when I have a chance. Good luck!
Unregistered 05:54 PM 01-07-2011
Thanks for all your advise! I'm sure it will work out one way or the other. I'm just hoping the parents aren't upset since my name is "....family childcare and preschool" that there will be baby(ies).
KEG123 06:33 PM 01-07-2011
Well we are currently ttc, even though I don't have any dck's yet. I have one son, 3 in april. I plan to take 2-3 additional kids. There is a possibility of me being pregnant before day care kids coming, but I'd let them know if I knew for sure I was (ive had a mc, so normally i wouldnt tell anyone) ANYWAYS, yeah I'm scared but I know it's totally do able. I mean, how do large families of 4+ survive?
Puff 08:18 PM 01-07-2011
I have it in my contract that I take up to 6 weeks off, unpaid after each child is born. Parents had plenty of time to arrange a long term backup daycare. I have done several backup maternity leaves for other providers DCC.
I have had c-sections so that makes for a much longer recovery, especially when it comes to lifting.
It took planning and budgeting in advance on my part, but I would not trade that time alone with my baby, or just my kids and new baby for anything.
Tags:new born
Reply Up