Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stuck Inside
MsMe 12:28 PM 10-18-2011
I feel trapped!

I have 8 DCKs 4b, 4b, 4b, 4b, 3b, 2g, 2g, 6mo.g. It is a crisp Fall day in the midwest. 47 F.

I want to take the kids out to play and by *want* I mean *OMG GET THESE KIDS OUTSIDE TO BURN OFF THIS CRAZY ENERGY!!!!!*

The baby is teething and is SUPER drooly, snotty generaly a mess. I can bundle her up but will that the drool and snot...I think she would get super cold. (i.e if she were mine I wouldn't want her outside.)

We are not able to go out in the morning bc she takes her nap from 8:30 to 10:30 and then eats at 10:40...I start lunch right after and even if I make something quick or even the night before I still need that 20 minutes to get it on the table.

I am alone and will not/can not allow the children to play outside on their own.

I feel terrible that we are not getting out on days we should normally have play time. It is not too cold or windy for the bigger kids but it is for the baby.....I hate that all of the kids are staying in bc of teh baby and teh parents are going to get mad....

Would you take the baby out? Stay in?
Zoe 12:30 PM 10-18-2011
Can the baby nap outside? Bundle her up and put her in a pack n play or something equivalent outside? I totally am right there with you. Morning nap cuts into our mornings so much.

Otherwise I'd suggest going outside right after lunch to get the energy out.
lpperry 12:33 PM 10-18-2011
My thought is that if the baby is well enough to be at daycare, she's well enough to go outside. I wouldn't keep everyone inside just because she is drooling and/or has a cold. I'd put a warm jacket on her and take kleenex out to wipe her nose/chin.

Are you not allowed to go outside with a baby monitor if a baby is sleeping inside? That was my savior when I had tiny ones. We'd plan our outside time during the baby's 2 hour morning nap. I am guessing that you aren't allowed to, or you'd probably be doing it. I am more asking because I am considering becoming licensed to add more kiddos, but it seems that there are a lot of things that I am going not like!
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 10-18-2011
I'd love a crisp Fall day at 47 degrees.

It is snowing here.

So NOT ready for it to snow yet.
SilverSabre25 12:37 PM 10-18-2011
I agree--if she's well enought o be at daycare she is well enough to go outside. Warm coat, stick her in a stroller facing away from the wind and wrap a warm blanket around her if you have to, and wipe her nose as needed.
MsMe 12:39 PM 10-18-2011
the part that really gets me going it that this is a teacher family that choses to leave the baby here untill closing time.....

if only they would come and get the baby when they were off I wouldn't have to worry about the baby freezing outside OR taking away play time from the big kids.....
dEHmom 12:45 PM 10-18-2011
I am sort of in the same boat right now today too. Kids are driving me a little crazy today. It's cold and windy, but not cold enough to stay in. BUT, the nappers were off today because of teething (molars) and so they slept/weren't well enough, and I can't leave them inside alone while going outside with the others. Then when they got up it was lunch, then snack, and now almost hometime (15 mins). Thank goodness it's an early day for me, everyone's out the door at 3pm.

The 2 new girls are sure testing me today. Every 2 seconds it's SOMETHING, but they are good girls, and just a little bored. I wish we could've gone outside. By the time everyone was awake, it was just too late. I haven't even got to do lunch time dishes yet because it's been so chaotic today.
nannyde 02:54 PM 10-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd love a crisp Fall day at 47 degrees.

It is snowing here.

So NOT ready for it to snow yet.

I want to move there so bad.

I love cold
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 10-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I want to move there so bad.

I love cold
and we have moose!
Lucy 07:45 PM 10-18-2011
47 is good? lol. Too cold for me. I don't like hot, but I don't like cold either. 47 sounds cold. It has been 60ish around here, but the last 2 days we got a treat of low 70's. Back to the rain and 60 starting tomorrow though.
daycare 08:19 PM 10-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
and we have moose!
Ok I've been in the states a long time. But did you say you have a pet moose?
What the heck!!!

Maybe my eyes are going crazy?
Sprouts 10:07 PM 10-18-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Can the baby nap outside? Bundle her up and put her in a pack n play or something equivalent outside? I totally am right there with you. Morning nap cuts into our mornings so much.

Otherwise I'd suggest going outside right after lunch to get the energy out.
I totally agree and always hear myself saying "When the babies wake up we'll.....!"

But today I did try something new, i created an obstacle course. The girls ran around the whole perimeter of the property, about 1/2 acre!. Jumping in hoops, "touch the tree! Touch the leaf! Up and down the ramp!"

My plan was just four times but then they kept wanting more and more and before I knew it must have been over ten times lol. They were so ready for nap! It was great and the babies were clapping for them!
Meyou 01:58 AM 10-19-2011
I'd take them out too. If I stayed in when the temp went below 50F we wouldn't go outside 6 months of the year. We've been wearing hats and mitts outside for 2 weeks.
Solandia 05:09 AM 10-19-2011
I would take them all outside.

I dress everyone by the back door(sliding glass door)..I go littlest to oldest when I assist. If the 4yos are done dressing themselves, I would let them go outside in the backyard while I finish up everyone else.

Baby can be bundled up and be just fine. In a stoller, you can put a blanket over the whole thing, leaving a vent space...it gets very cozy, even in the dead of winter. Unless it is rather windy outside, I have always taken babies outside. Even my January baby at a couples week old, I just stuck him inside my coat like a little puppy. He was such a cutie.
Meyou 05:12 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Solandia:

Even my January baby at a couples week old, I just stuck him inside my coat like a little puppy. He was such a cutie.
I've done that one too. Sling the baby and throw your DH's coat over top and zip it up. They'll be snug as a bug in a rug.
nannyde 05:36 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Ok I've been in the states a long time. But did you say you have a pet moose?
What the heck!!!

Maybe my eyes are going crazy?
If she had a pet moose I would have a freezer full of moose roasts.
morgan24 05:45 AM 10-19-2011
I have a strap on carrier that I put babies in and then I have a big fleece coat I zip up over them. They face out and enjoy watching the other kids play and if they are tired they fall asleep and when we come in I put them down for the rest of their nap.
Blackcat31 09:49 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If she had a pet moose I would have a freezer full of moose roasts.

dEHmom 09:53 AM 10-19-2011
we got snow last night. thankfully it is melted now.
lil angels 09:57 AM 10-19-2011
I wouldn't think twice we go out with the snotty baby's all the time. Just bring lots of Kleenex.
daycare 10:26 AM 10-19-2011
Huh really nan....
I must be living in a cave..You would eat the moose?

lol I think I need to get out more....
Unregistered 10:50 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Huh really nan....
I must be living in a cave..You would eat the moose?

lol I think I need to get out more....
many people hunt for meat and freeze it.

If you live in the city your probably not exposed to this, but if your a country person, for many it's a way of life. Deer, Moose, Rabbit, Turkey, fish etc...
lpperry 11:59 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I've done that one too. Sling the baby and throw your DH's coat over top and zip it up. They'll be snug as a bug in a rug.
or a maternity coat works great for a baby in a wrap!
Tags:over burdened, overwhelmed, trapped
Reply Up