Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State Of Emergency Are You Opened Or Closed
DaycareMama 05:48 PM 10-28-2012
if you dont mind sharing your policy on this i would love to see it. So far I have nothing written about this but tonight im wishing I did. Not sure what the norm is
daycarediva 06:18 PM 10-28-2012
I close. I am tossing a notice both written and verbally to parents tomorrow telling them the circumstances in which I would close if need be.
Sugar Magnolia 06:28 PM 10-28-2012
If your public schools are closed and public transportation has stopped, you absolutely should close. Its a matter of keeping people off the roads.

So sayeth the Florida Hurricane Veteran.

Good luck y' all.. Stay safe....
DaycareMama 06:44 PM 10-28-2012
thanks ladies. Our schools are closed but not in state of emergency yet. I will be sure to tell parents in the morning though. And to add it into my policy
Crazy8 07:33 PM 10-28-2012
from what my husband is telling me there are different levels of state of emergency?? it doesn't always mean you can't be on the roads??

I don't have anything in my policy about it - when it comes to storms, etc. parents need to understand I don't have the commute - THEY DO - and they need to do what is in the best interest of their family. But I remind them if they can drop their child off that morning they darn well need to be able to pick them up ON TIME later that day.

I can not be open without power though, so in cases of extended power outages I would be closed.
melskids 04:51 AM 10-29-2012
Ditto what Crazy8 said.

I don't "close" because then they think they don't have to pay for the day. I let them tell me they're not coming.
DaisyMamma 06:30 AM 10-29-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Ditto what Crazy8 said.

I don't "close" because then they think they don't have to pay for the day. I let them tell me they're not coming.
Exactly this, but I'm looking for other people's responses on this because I will revise my policies after this to be closed and paid and I want an official way to state it.
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 10-29-2012
I have never had to close for a full day due to extreme weather but I have closed early due to winter storms or power outages. My handbook states:

EMERGENCY CLOSURES

There is always the possibility of emergency closures, due to illness, injury, bad weather, power outages, or other unforeseen circumstances. I will notify you as soon as possible if this occurs.

In the event that I am unable to open for the day or need to close early, due to illness, or other personal reasons, it is your responsibility as the parent to have back-up care.

Full tuition will be due for any partial days of attendance.

Reply Up