Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is a Daycare Facility Owner Required to Pay for the Further Training
Unregistered 09:01 PM 01-06-2009
I work in daycare and was wondering if it is true if the owner of the facility is required to pay for the further training for you to stay employeed along with the hours you are in these classes like alot of other jobs do... If the hours are not obtained then you no longer have a job at the end of the year and had heard from my father that his company pays it all because it furthers knowledge in the areas you must be learning in. I work in South Carolina and sure it's different for different states but if anyone can help me out with any of this information please let me know! THANKYOU!!!
kidcentric 04:14 PM 01-13-2009
I've tried to look it up online, but am having trouble finding specifics. I would suggest you contact your local labor department / wage and hour folks. Good luck.
mustangsally 10:57 AM 03-02-2009
I am in SC also. My boss pays for the classes but we give up a
Sat from 8:30-2:00 with no pay for it.
GretasLittleFriends 06:31 AM 03-03-2009
Even if your employer does not pay for it, don't forget it most likely would be considered 100% tax deductible. I know that doesn't always help at the time the class is needed, but get and save your receipts from the class(es) and write them off at tax time.

However, if the employer does cover 100% of the class costs, then you don't get to write them off.

Though one would think if the class was a requirement for your continued employment your employer should pick up at least half if not all the costs of the class(es).
bshla 07:37 PM 04-16-2009
No. However if the daycare owner wants to ensure required training be maintained it would be in their best interest. I would think it to be best for the owner to hire those that are already qualified for the job and conduct other onsite trainings to constantly challenge staff and sharpen their skills in the classroom.
Reply Up