Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do you handle naps?
Core12 05:30 AM 12-24-2016
My current nap situation....
(1) 2 year old who sleeps in a "Pack n Play" in a bedroom
(1) 5 month old who sleeps in a crib in another bedroom
(1) 6 month old who sleeps in the living room (where I am)
(1) 8 month old who sleeps in another "Pack n Play" in another bedroom

I would like to get licensed in 2017 and would like to know if anyone knows if Missouri's licensing policy prohibits Not staying with the children at all times.

Thank-you.
Sumshine 05:58 AM 12-24-2016
Originally Posted by Core12:
My current nap situation....
(1) 2 year old who sleeps in a "Pack n Play" in a bedroom
(1) 5 month old who sleeps in a crib in another bedroom
(1) 6 month old who sleeps in the living room (where I am)
(1) 8 month old who sleeps in another "Pack n Play" in another bedroom

I would like to get licensed in 2017 and would like to know if anyone knows if Missouri's licensing policy prohibits Not staying with the children at all times.

Thank-you.
I would Google the licensing rules every state is different so for example mine, MN, requires me to be within hearing or sight to intervene if needed of anyone under 6. If children are sleeping you need a video monitor on the area or be able to do in person checks every 15 mins. I do the video monitor and in person checks not every 15 mins just here or there. I have a split level home that is very open I can hear everything upstairs when I'm downstairs and downstairs whend I'm upstairs. The general daycare area is downstairs. I have kiddos that are almost 3 and don't nap including my own son. I stay in the general daycare area with them and make them relax on a cot for a bit before going on to quiet activities while the others sleep in my sleeping room attatched to the daycare area with a video monitor on them. Anything can happen and accidents only take a second and I'm supposed to be in a position to intervene not just react to a situation so I always stay with them I don't go upstairs and if I do any awake kids come with and I take my monitor. If I need to do anything (typically this is Fridays to prepapre for next week) I bring everything I need down there with me after we eat lunch upstairs and do it while they relax and nap. But I wouldn't run up and do the dishes in the sink while the kids were relaxing or napping even though I can see most of them on the monitor and hear them all
Sumshine 06:12 AM 12-24-2016
Also I should add it all depends on your layout, what your state's rules are, and what you are comfortable with. I could sleep kids seperate upstails in my spare rooms but I felt keeping us all together was important and the toddlers who nap now do wonderful they go right down no fussing and stay down until we wake up for snack! I figured if one kid ever became an issue I'd try laying them down a little early to get their emotions out and if that didn't work make them sleep in the general daycare area to not disturb the others. We are adding an infant to our group after the new year and I believe he will be able to nap just fine in there with the toddlers but if I needed to I could nap him in the general daycare area in a Pack and Play.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 12-24-2016
Here are your state's regulations: http://s1.sos.mo.gov/cmsimages/adrul...r/19c30-61.pdf

I am also in MN and I do not accept children that don't partipate in afternoon rest time so all children rest at the same time here. (other than infants who nap on their own schedules)

Supervision requirements for my state say within sight or sound for anyone under age 5. Kids age 5+ have pretty lax supervision requirements.
Reply Up