Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Room Divider Suggestions

My dc room is in my family room, the room is approx 16 x 25. I have the love seat dividing off the back 1/3 of the room, and that is where I have a small shelf of toys, kitchen set, 2 storage cabinets tucked into corners, kids table and chairs, and toy box.

I am trying to come up with some kind of divider, so that when you look to the back of the room after hours, you can't see all the stuff. I am thinking maybe a couple sets of shelving units that are a little higher than the height of the furniture. I can always use extra storage. But, I really don't want the ugly back of the shelving units to face the main part of the room.

What do you all use as a makeshift room divider if you multipurpose your dc room? Any suggestions on how to do this?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM

A thought would be to go ahead and buy the shelving units and paint the back of them white (or whatever color to match your living space) to help brighten up the room. You could also hang some framed art or family photos in frames on them to help distract from the ugliness.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:55 AM

Reading this I came up with another idea, but you wouldn't get the storage. You could get as many as these as you needed. You wouldn't have to fill them all with photos. On the family (personal) side you could put in pics of your family, colored pages just to add splash of color, other art work also. On the daycare side you could put in pics of the kids, color patches with the colors labeled, and other labeled pics, and such.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 AM

I really like that idea, but am concerned they would knock it over......what do you think?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM

I thought that they might knock it over as well. Our room is multi purpose as well. We have a cubby unit from IKEA with baskets in it that we keep the toys in to keep everything organized and out of the way. You can see it, but we have kids so having kids stuff around is going to happen regardless of daycare!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 PM

they would knock them over...BUT, you could put them behind the shelving units facing your living space to cover the backsides of the shelves.

Another option is hanging a nice set of curtains or a tapestry from the ceiling that you can draw across the room, or, if someone in the household is handy, have them build a planter box across the room, fill with soil and nice plants all the way across. Or, even build a wall?

Tags
chairs, kitchen, room, room divider, storage, table