Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can A Complaint Be Filed?
Candy 01:54 PM 02-15-2013
So my cousin friend went to a local daycare and when she walked in she asked the lady did they have in spots open. The lady looked at her and said we don't take childcare assistance! Cousin friend asked the lady why did she think she had childcare assistance and the lady replies "because your uhm......" yep left the conversation right there.
coolconfidentme 02:19 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by Candy:
So my cousin friend went to a local daycare and when she walked in she asked the lady did they have in spots open. The lady looked at her and said we don't take childcare assistance! Cousin friend asked the lady why did she think she had childcare assistance and the lady replies "because your uhm......" yep left the conversation right there.
SHAM her on social media sites, gulp.
Starburst 02:19 PM 02-15-2013
It could be considered discrimination. Just because they don't accept child care assistance doesn't mean they can assume right off the bat that you need it- that could be considered profiling. It could have been one thing if she said it like "just so you know we don't accept child care assistance" or she could have asked 'will you be on child care assistance?'

Not to mention that is extreamly rude and unprofessional to just assume based on someones looks . So if the provider was licensed your cousin's friend could call licensing and they may do an inspection or write her up for unprofessional practices.

Did she by any chance see any of the children in the care? Was there a diverse group? That could be a red flag that she may discriminate (though there still is a chance that could be a coinsidence).
Candy 02:31 PM 02-15-2013
I have applied at that daycare the owner is white but the women that work there are black. Most of the children seen there were white but there were a couple they were not. When i applied for a job there i didn't think anything of it i just thought it was because of the location they were in.
kitykids3 02:32 PM 02-15-2013
I don't know if you can file a complaint, especially since it would be a he said/she said thing, but all I got to say is
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 02-15-2013
Ok, I am a dim bulb right now....but what does "because your uhm......" mean?

I don't understand what the woman was implying?
Starburst 03:13 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Ik there is lots of room for interpritation and makes it seem like she was avoiding saying something that was possibly judgemental or discriminating- was she talking about to say something about her weight? Race? Age? Disability? Marital status? The way she looks/dresses/talks/smells? It could be anything.
Blackcat31 03:15 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Ik there is lots of room for interpritation and makes it seem like she was avoiding saying something that was possibly judgemental or discriminating- was she talking about to say something about her weight? Race? Age? Disability? The way she looks/dresses/talks/smells? It could be anything.
Then why would there be reason to file a complaint if nothing was actually said?
Candy 03:20 PM 02-15-2013

We are assuming she was implying race
Starburst 03:24 PM 02-15-2013
Then why would there be reason to file a complaint if nothing was actually said?
It wasn't said directly but I personal would feel discriminated against if I asked someone why they assumed I was on an assistance program and they responed "Because your umm....." It sounds like it was an automatic reaction but they caught themselves before they said anything bad like they are trying to find a way to sugar coat it or make it not sound as bad.

But then again I am used to feeling discriminated against because of my race and weight (and sometimes even my age).

I would just make the complaint of what happened and that it made me feel unwelcome/uncomfortable and if licensing chose not to investigated it, oh well. But if someone else complained then they would have it on record that someone made a similar complaint so they have evidence.
Candy 03:32 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
It wasn't said directly but I personal would feel discriminated against if I asked someone why they assumed I was on an assistance program and they responed "Because your umm....." It sounds like it was an automatic reaction but they caught themselves before they said anything bad like they are trying to find a way to sugar coat it or make it not sound as bad.

But then again I am used to feeling discriminated against because of my race and weight (and sometimes even my age).

I would just make the complaint of what happened and that it made me feel unwelcome/uncomfortable and if licensing chose not to investigated it, oh well. But if someone else complained then they would have it on record that someone made a similar complaint so they have evidence.
Yea you can usually tell when someone is about to say something discriminating even when the catch themselves. I once didnt make a dance team because the lady told me my boobs were to big yep
Blackcat31 03:38 PM 02-15-2013
I totally understand where you are coming from and I agree that I may be offended as well but you can't simply file a complaint because you "think" someone was going to say something derogatory or imply something.

That is like putting one of the DCK's in time out because he was going to hit someone.

It isn't nice, polite or acceptable but it is also not something to get all worked up over.

If the provider implied rudeness in anyway, don't use their services.

Seems simple enough.

Tags:complaint, discrimination, issues, race
Reply Up