Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifiers at Daycare?
Daycare_Mama 12:39 PM 12-30-2010
Do you wean a child off the pacifier at daycare even if parents aren't doing it at home? Like do you have an age where you don't give it anymore even if parents still are or do you just wait for parents to tell you they are taking it away?

My 25 month daughter does not get a pacifier anymore at all, but I got rid of it for her by first not letting her have it during the day at all, then dropping it from her afternoon nap, and then dropping it at night.

Well my 20 month old dcb doesn't get it at my house during the day at all, but I have given it to him for his afternoon nap because I know he gets it for his nap at home. Mom also gives it to him in the car and other random times if he's crabby. He also still gets it at night.

Well, on Monday, I put him down for nap without his pacifier (accidentally) and he fell right asleep, which got me thinking to try getting rid of it during his nap altogether. So, we are on day 3 of this and he goes to sleep perfectly fine, but he wakes up an hour earlier than normal SCREAMING and then there is no falling back asleep. Usually he takes a 2.5 hour afternoon nap. Without the pacifier it's 1-1.5 hours.

I know there's a period of getting used to not having it, but if parents aren't doing it at home and he's not sleeping as long here, is it even worth trying to get rid of it? I kind of feel like, he'll be sleeping great by Friday and then come Monday and not nap well after having it over the weekend.
Cat Herder 12:46 PM 12-30-2010
I simply have a "No Pacifier" rule. I don't really factor in what the parents do at home into what I do here. I am not saying it is easy, there is no such thing when working with children. I just don't allow them.

Good luck, I hope it gets better for you fast
Crystal 12:48 PM 12-30-2010
I do not offer it after 6 months old. I have kids who still get a binky at home at 3 years old and they would never even think to ask for it here. IMO pacis are for infants who NEED to suck, not preschoolers.
Lucy 12:49 PM 12-30-2010
I don't. It's the parents' business if they want a child with an overbite and delayed speech. LOL. Being sarcastic, but the meaning is there.

Actually, I do put them away when the child gets here in the morning. They really don't need to walk around with it all day like the parents probably let them. But once naptime comes and they are used to having a binky, I give it to them.

There IS a limit, however. I probably wouldn't want them to have it much past 14 months or so. I've never had to deal with that, but I think I'd suggest it to the parent once they hit that age.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 12-30-2010
I wean them off here as soon as possible. It is too unsanitary to have others want to pick it up and use it.... I let little ones have it while sleeping and that is it. I have a 3.5 yr old daycare boy who has one the second mom arrives (she keeps it in her coat pocket) but he has never had it here. Currently I have a 11 month old who gets it in the PNP but no where else....even if he cries non-stop because it isn't worth the hassle of weaning him later.
sahm2three 12:57 PM 12-30-2010
I allow pacifiers but only at nap time. Otherwise, no paci's. I refuse to look for them all day long.
Daycare_Mama 01:08 PM 12-30-2010
Ugh, I'm torn. Is it rude to mention to mom that it might be time to get rid of it? I sort of feel like it's not my place to decide when it should go, but his teeth are starting to jut out some.

Mostly, I just feel like the best/easiest/fastest way to get rid of it is if we are BOTH taking it away.

I have no problem with a bad week or 2 of naps (read less of a break for me!) to get him used to sleeping without it, but I'm pretty confident that unless they are doing it at home, all that's going to happen is he'll be a good napper by the end of each week and then a bad one when he comes on Monday.

I'm trying to think of it from a parent perspective and whether or not it would bother me if my daycare said, nope! she can't have her pacifier here. I don't know if that would make me try to get rid of it at home also, or find a provider that didn't decide for me whether or not my child could have one.
nannyde 01:56 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I simply have a "No Pacifier" rule. I don't really factor in what the parents do at home into what I do here. I am not saying it is easy, there is no such thing when working with children. I just don't allow them.

Good luck, I hope it gets better for you fast
see above

never used them

only exception would be for failure to thrive infants who need practice getting their suck on
momma2girls 03:26 PM 12-30-2010
I allow them, but really thinking about not allowing them. Otherwise putting them away til naptime. I really don't even think they need it at naptime. These are older babies, one is 5 months and one is 9 months. It is really a pain to keep them in their car seats, I have a 17 month old, that is constantly finding them, and carrying them around. I hate it!!
countrymom 03:29 PM 12-30-2010
you can't have them during the day and only at nap time, but I usually get rid of them quickly.
so I have this dcg who is 2 in feb. I weened her from her paci months and months ago, I come to find out that they still give it to her at home because they want her to be quiet, nice eh!
kidkair 03:56 PM 12-30-2010
I don't allow them past 6 months. I had one kid start at about 18 months and he had one and I let him use it for the first week because he was transitioning. Then I weaned him off and by the end of 3 weeks from start date I made mom keep it in the car.
mickey2 05:08 PM 12-30-2010
I take the pacifier away as soon as the little one comes in and I do not give it back until nap time. After nap time it is put away again. It is gross to have a crawling baby's pacifier being passed from toddler to toddler. YUCK! Moms all know that I do this and why I do it.
CKSher 05:56 PM 12-30-2010
I have had 2 year olds in the past that still used pacifiers! Drove me nuts and needless to say they were put up in their bin until pick-up time. The funny part is they were fine the whole 9-10 hour day and then the minute the parents walk in the door the kids would whine for it and the parent pops it right in their mouth!
marniewon 08:35 PM 12-30-2010
Naps only, here. And I had a child also (18mos) who mom practically begged me to help her get rid of paci and blankie (blankie was this HUGE blanket, like a double bed size blanket! And NASTY!). Within a few days of being here, he knew to spit paci out in the pnp after nap before I got him up, and blankie stayed there too. Except as soon as mom walked in the door, she popped paci back in his mouth!! Drove me crazy! Why ask me to help you get rid of it if you are just going to pop it back in his mouth when you get here? And he wasn't even asking for it!
SilverSabre25 08:40 PM 12-30-2010
Of the kids I've watched (oh, 8 or 9 in total I think), only one has been a paci user. I gradually, without thinking about it, shifted her to keeping it in the pnp for naps only. Will abandon it entirely once I transition her to a cot/nap mat in a few months.
QualiTcare 10:55 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I don't. It's the parents' business if they want a child with an overbite and delayed speech. LOL. Being sarcastic, but the meaning is there.

Actually, I do put them away when the child gets here in the morning. They really don't need to walk around with it all day like the parents probably let them. But once naptime comes and they are used to having a binky, I give it to them.

There IS a limit, however. I probably wouldn't want them to have it much past 14 months or so. I've never had to deal with that, but I think I'd suggest it to the parent once they hit that age.
i agree - i've said before if a parent wants their kid drinking mt. dew from a bottle when they're 3 - i'm not gonna make my days hell trying to fight it. they're just going to go home and erase any work i've done, anyway. same with the paci. it's not worth the fight - you're not going to win.

my son never took a paci, but my daughter was off the bottle at 1 and i started taking her paci around the same time. she rarely ever had it at home, but i'd leave it in her cubby and let the teacher know just incase she had a fit. i didn't wanna be the parent "oh, she wants US to do all the work, blah blah."

but yeah as a provider - whatever. i guess i'm jaded - but i'm not going to do something the parents aren't willing to do. my sanity is more important.
Live and Learn 06:20 AM 12-31-2010
I never give pacifiers to any of the kiddies. If their parents want to use a "baby cork" let 'em. Walk in my door.... no paci.... not an issue.
Tags:pacifier
Reply Up