Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2017, 09:26 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default Storage

Does anyone have anything like this and if you do, where did you get it? I'm trying to get one but the sizes of the units and the boxes vary so much. The pictures can be deceiving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storagepl.jpg (21.7 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2017, 09:38 AM
mommiebookworm's Avatar
mommiebookworm mommiebookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 348
Default

I don't have one. But, have you looked at Ikea?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2017, 11:28 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

I don't have something like that but I have the Ikea Trofast system http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca.../series/19027/

Not exactly what you're looking at but I like it because of the flexibility of the different size bins. I can rotate out my toys and change the bin sizes to fit the materials that I need. The bins aren't clear though. I have the white frosted ones and they aren't see-through at all so I bought some stick on label sleevs from Lakeshore and will make labels soon.

Ikea does have regular cube cubbies too but their cubby sizes are bigger than the average cubby cube. I bought a few to make a crafting table. Other than that Ikea doesn't have anything else similar to what you are looking for.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2017, 11:39 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Wow I didn't even think of Ikea. duh! Thanks ladies. I'm applying for a grant and I have to pick out things ahead of time. The other pic I posted was like $500 for that one because it's wood. I could build my entire room at Ikea for that or less than that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I don't have something like that but I have the Ikea Trofast system http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca.../series/19027/

Not exactly what you're looking at but I like it because of the flexibility of the different size bins. I can rotate out my toys and change the bin sizes to fit the materials that I need. The bins aren't clear though. I have the white frosted ones and they aren't see-through at all so I bought some stick on label sleevs from Lakeshore and will make labels soon.

Ikea does have regular cube cubbies too but their cubby sizes are bigger than the average cubby cube. I bought a few to make a crafting table. Other than that Ikea doesn't have anything else similar to what you are looking for.
I actually kinda like that they're not clear. Looks neater. Which one do you have exactly and what do you keep in it? I really like these.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2017, 12:45 PM
happymom happymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,813
Default

I have that for my kids stuff. I have two of the staircase type ones, they fit perfectly side by side in my closet so it's kind of like a pyramid in the center behind sliding doors.

I just did the labels with card stock and sharpi and had my son color them so he was involved. Glued them with hot glue.

We have play doh, art supplies, baby toys (2x), trains, cups, balls, dinosaurs, disney toys, and figurines (I think that's all).

For the most part, stuff gets put back where it goes. My 1 year old is outgrowing a lot of his stuff, so I definitely need to go through the toys and organize again (it's inevitable). I've had this for over a year and some of the tracks are starting to break where the drawers slide in. I'm sure it can be fixed, just wanted to point it out.

I don't post on a lot of forums, so I hope my picture worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storage.jpg (109.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Picture worked great! Thanks for giving me the info!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 PM
thrivingchildcarecom's Avatar
thrivingchildcarecom thrivingchildcarecom is offline
thrivingchildcare.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 393
Default

I do have one. It's the ikea one but I got it on craigslist for about half. I like this one http://amzn.to/2jxVw4E. It comes in a few different colors and looks like the cubbies are about like what I have.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 843
Default

I have this from ikea. You can get diffrent sizes add drawers or doors or diffrent size baskets
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2017, 01:27 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

So out of all of the bins, which ones do you use the most?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2017, 01:28 PM
happymom happymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
So out of all of the bins, which ones do you use the most?
Which sizes or which activities?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
Which sizes or which activities?
Sorry, what size of bins I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59033838/

I'm looking at this, but it doesn't say what size the boxes are.

Towards the bottom it has the boxes. Am I supposed to go by color to determine size?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/18706/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2017, 04:46 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I actually kinda like that they're not clear. Looks neater. Which one do you have exactly and what do you keep in it? I really like these.
I got the taller ones in the natural wood. It totally doesn't match any of the other furniture that I have but since it's actual wood I figure I could always stain it later if I wanted to. I keep a lot of different things in it. Right now I have plastic ducks, large wooden vehicles, train tracks, science stuff (magnifying glasses, large tweezers, goggles etc), plastic bugs, wooden accessories for the blocks/tracks, cars/trains and baby toys. Next month I'll switch out the bugs for dinosaurs, change the baby toys and switch out the ducks for balls.

I like that I can keep the toys in the bins and get the lids to stack them. When I switch the bins out I can take the whole bin out and stack it with the others in the garage and just pull out the bin I want and put that one right in. I'm planning on getting a couple of the lower ones too and getting some of the regular flat shelves for it to sort out the large unit blocks. Right now they are all just dumped in a large plastic bin.

It's hard to see but I also added a photo of the labels that I got. I stuck them on but I haven't made labels. I plan on taking photos of what's inside of the bins and adding labels then printing them out on photo paper and cutting them down to fit in the sleeves.





__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2017, 04:52 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59033838/

I'm looking at this, but it doesn't say what size the boxes are.

Towards the bottom it has the boxes. Am I supposed to go by color to determine size?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/18706/
They have different colors in different sizes so ...

Length 7 ", Width: 11 ", Height: 4 (small and skinny) in white, green and yellow
Length: 16 1/2 ", Width: 11 3/4 ", Height: 9 " (medium) in pink and orange (I have some in white but I don't know why they're not pictured on the website)
Length: 16 ", Width: 11 ", Height: 14 " (large and deep) in white

I decided to get all white bins. One thing about the lids though is that they don't snap on, they just sit on the top. I don't mind it though. I just have the lids so that I can stack them.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,261
Default

Got mine online
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toys-1.JPG (802.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I got the taller ones in the natural wood. It totally doesn't match any of the other furniture that I have but since it's actual wood I figure I could always stain it later if I wanted to. I keep a lot of different things in it. Right now I have plastic ducks, large wooden vehicles, train tracks, science stuff (magnifying glasses, large tweezers, goggles etc), plastic bugs, wooden accessories for the blocks/tracks, cars/trains and baby toys. Next month I'll switch out the bugs for dinosaurs, change the baby toys and switch out the ducks for balls.

I like that I can keep the toys in the bins and get the lids to stack them. When I switch the bins out I can take the whole bin out and stack it with the others in the garage and just pull out the bin I want and put that one right in. I'm planning on getting a couple of the lower ones too and getting some of the regular flat shelves for it to sort out the large unit blocks. Right now they are all just dumped in a large plastic bin.

It's hard to see but I also added a photo of the labels that I got. I stuck them on but I haven't made labels. I plan on taking photos of what's inside of the bins and adding labels then printing them out on photo paper and cutting them down to fit in the sleeves.






This is great thank you so much! Really helps!

Where did you get the bugs and magnifying glasses? I think the kids would love those!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-29-2017, 07:39 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
Got mine online
Very nice! I love how organized these type of storage units are.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,614
Default

I have the Trofast shelving from IKEA and I have the cube units from Target and I have cubbies and cube storage that my DH made and honestly they are all really nice and inexpensive and depending on what your needs or space is like any of the options work.

I chose the Trofast from IKEA for the preschool room so I could use the tray storage for smaller pieces and more "advanced" storage (the older kids are capable of sorting and separating) and I liked the cube units for the younger kids because their sorting and separating skills aren't as complex so the bigger, easier to manipulate cubes worked best for them and the ones my DH built are custom so they fit in an odd shaped space and are configured in a way that I chose to fit my work habits and needs.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
This is great thank you so much! Really helps!

Where did you get the bugs and magnifying glasses? I think the kids would love those!
The bugs are jumbo size so that even the babies and toddlers can play with them. One thing, the parts can come apart so you can pull the legs away from the thorax etc. I don't know if they're meant to do that and I don't mind it because the kids like being able to pull them apart and put them back together. I see it like puzzles and they're great manipulatives.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The magnifying glasses are like the ones sold at Lakeshore Learning but I order everything from Amazon and they carry the exact same ones for much cheaper.

You can get them in a set of one magnifying glass and a jumbo tweezer for $9
https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...gnifying+glass

or a set of six magnifying glasses for $20
https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...ifying+glasses
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

So when it's shown like this, does this come with the boxes?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79898306/

It doesn't say and there are other units that have boxes in them for 1 price and then I see just the frame for another price that is lower, so I'm assuming they come with boxes.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
So when it's shown like this, does this come with the boxes?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79898306/

It doesn't say and there are other units that have boxes in them for 1 price and then I see just the frame for another price that is lower, so I'm assuming they come with boxes.
Yes, if they show the bins they come with the bins. Fun fact: if you do the math the cost of the frame and bins seperately is the same as the bins and frame together
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-02-2017, 05:16 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Yes, if they show the bins they come with the bins. Fun fact: if you do the math the cost of the frame and bins seperately is the same as the bins and frame together
I did do that and that's pretty much how I figured that they did come with the bins. They must do it that way in case you want different color bins or shelves or something. I really hope I get this grant. I'm so excited to get all the new things. it will be like christmas for the kids too!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
storage, storage containers, storage organizer - cube

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storage Container Question... kendallina Daycare and Taxes 6 02-16-2013 07:21 PM
Storage Cubes kitkat Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 11-16-2012 04:02 PM
Toy Storage Ideas... ABCDaycareMN Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 25 11-09-2012 06:01 AM
I Want To See Your Fav Daycare Storage Piece DaycareMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 28 05-05-2012 03:12 PM
Daycare Supplies / Daycare Toys / Supplies Storage Abigail Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 09-12-2010 12:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming