Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:42 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default Locking of Doors to Medicine/Cleaning Products Etc

I'm replacing my door knobs in my house for all of my interior doors and also moving things around. I have my medicine and shampoo/cleaning products now in my linen closet in the bathroom. It's all on the top shelf, but I wonder since the doorknob locks, if that is sufficient. I also have one that locks on my basement door too and wondered if that was sufficient instead of putting one of those plastic grip things that the kids can't turn. To unlock the door you would have to have a coin or something similar to put into the lock and turn it. there is no way to do it with a finger or a fingernail.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 AM
Febby's Avatar
Febby Febby is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 484
Default

You might to check with your regs, but I would think that would be fine. It would be here, anyway. I worked at a center that used locks on cabinet doors that could be opened with a piece of mulch (guess how I learned that) and state always considered those just fine, as long as the actual keys were out of reach. Not that anyone ever told state that they could opened with mulch, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febby View Post
You might to check with your regs, but I would think that would be fine. It would be here, anyway. I worked at a center that used locks on cabinet doors that could be opened with a piece of mulch (guess how I learned that) and state always considered those just fine, as long as the actual keys were out of reach. Not that anyone ever told state that they could opened with mulch, lol.
A piece of mulch? wow lol! My husband tried opening it with his fingernail and could't even get it to budge. I'm also looking at the magnet locks for the drawers. I like them because at the end of the day you can turn the switch so you don't have to have it toddler proof when the kids leave.

These are what I'm talking about. Does anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/REGIONALS-MAG...r%2Blocks&th=1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
A piece of mulch? wow lol! My husband tried opening it with his fingernail and could't even get it to budge. I'm also looking at the magnet locks for the drawers. I like them because at the end of the day you can turn the switch so you don't have to have it toddler proof when the kids leave.

These are what I'm talking about. Does anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/REGIONALS-MAG...r%2Blocks&th=1
Not that brand but yes, I have magnetic locks for all my cupboard doors.

This is the brand I have. http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-192-cab...cessories.aspx

I've had them since I opened and have never had to replace. They work great!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Not that brand but yes, I have magnetic locks for all my cupboard doors.

This is the brand I have. http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-192-cab...cessories.aspx

I've had them since I opened and have never had to replace. They work great!
Those look nice. I think I'm going to invest in the magnetic locks. I've always had the kind that you push down on and open the drawer/cabinet. The problem is, you have to do it all the time, meaning outside of daycare hours. These will be nice since I can disable them during non-daycare hours. Same as the door locks. This is a pic of the door lock. I have them on both bathroom doors, the basement door and the linen closet. I'm thinking that should pass don't you guys? I can hear licensing saying that well, if you forget to close the door or something like that. Well if I forget to close the cupboard and it doesn't lock, same thing right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lock.jpg (19.9 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 AM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 843
Default

I have them in a package waiting for my husband to put up. I don't have My regs regarding anything but all my medicine are upstairs and cleaning stuff locked in laundry room. The kitchen out of reach but to be on safe side I got them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2018, 07:30 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupadia View Post
I have them in a package waiting for my husband to put up. I don't have My regs regarding anything but all my medicine are upstairs and cleaning stuff locked in laundry room. The kitchen out of reach but to be on safe side I got them.
so having stuff in the laundry room with the door locked works for you with regs?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
A piece of mulch? wow lol! My husband tried opening it with his fingernail and could't even get it to budge. I'm also looking at the magnet locks for the drawers. I like them because at the end of the day you can turn the switch so you don't have to have it toddler proof when the kids leave.

These are what I'm talking about. Does anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/REGIONALS-MAG...r%2Blocks&th=1
I JUST ordered these yesterday. I will let you know how I like them once they are installed
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
so having stuff in the laundry room with the door locked works for you with regs?
Honesty in my province an Keeley unlinced care giver dose not have many regs. There are just ones that really cover ratios and ages.

I have all the products on a shelf in there that kids can't reach. The door is locked and kids can't get to the door. So I don't have any problems keeping them there from either my kids or the daycare ones.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupadia View Post
Honesty in my province an Keeley unlinced care giver dose not have many regs. There are just ones that really cover ratios and ages.

I have all the products on a shelf in there that kids can't reach. The door is locked and kids can't get to the door. So I don't have any problems keeping them there from either my kids or the daycare ones.
I'm thinking top shelf, locked door. Doesn't get better than that. I like that I can unlock it when it's not daycare hours. My own kids are 17 and 20
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2018, 09:32 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
I JUST ordered these yesterday. I will let you know how I like them once they are installed
That's a great deal on them. I may order them too
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

I LOVE my magnet locks. The best part is that they can be turned "off" when you don't need them. I've even had my tougher day care boy try to open them when locked, and he couldn't.

So much better than any other child proof locking device I've used.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

I always wonder if the parents have all this stuff locked up? How do their children go into the bathroom at home if everything is out and unlocked?

Everything I have locked up, my daycare kids have never even remotely tried to get into in the almost 21 years I have been open. My own children didn't ever bother anything.

I have everything locked up but just makes me wonder how these children survive at home
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I LOVE my tot locks - magnetic locks.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
I LOVE my magnet locks. The best part is that they can be turned "off" when you don't need them. I've even had my tougher day care boy try to open them when locked, and he couldn't.

So much better than any other child proof locking device I've used.
Where did you get yours?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:35 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I always wonder if the parents have all this stuff locked up? How do their children go into the bathroom at home if everything is out and unlocked?

Everything I have locked up, my daycare kids have never even remotely tried to get into in the almost 21 years I have been open. My own children didn't ever bother anything.

I have everything locked up but just makes me wonder how these children survive at home

Exactly! I could not agree more. I have not had the kids here try to get into anything. Parents ask me how I keep them out of my food cupboards. i said they just know they're not supposed to and they've just never tried. Same as my Christmas tree, the easter village that i have on a table right by my door that they walk by a hundred times a day etc. Not to mention the things that we have to have locked up. Example toothpaste. Because you routinely hear of kids ODing on toothpaste. ugh
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I LOVE my tot locks - magnetic locks.
Where did you get yours?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

I think they were Tot locks? Ordered on Amazon.

Just to clarify, the dcb was asked to try to open the cabinets by me, he wasn't trying to get in when he wasn't supposed to. Also, I've never really had an issue with kids going into cabinets and getting into things because I teach them it's not a play spot.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:53 AM
morgan24's Avatar
morgan24 morgan24 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Just around the river bend
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I'm replacing my door knobs in my house for all of my interior doors and also moving things around. I have my medicine and shampoo/cleaning products now in my linen closet in the bathroom. It's all on the top shelf, but I wonder since the doorknob locks, if that is sufficient. I also have one that locks on my basement door too and wondered if that was sufficient instead of putting one of those plastic grip things that the kids can't turn. To unlock the door you would have to have a coin or something similar to put into the lock and turn it. there is no way to do it with a finger or a fingernail.
Did your consultant tell you they needed to be in a locked cabinet? The technical manual only says that cleaning supplies must be secure and out of reach of children. Mine are all in a closet on a shelf that is out of reach. In my basement my laundry room and bathroom, my laundry supplies are on a high shelf. Iíve been inspected twice since using the basement and she has never said anything about where there are. In my upstairs bathroom all the cabinets the kids can reach have safety locks on them. Iím curious if our consultants are telling us something different
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-29-2018, 12:06 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan24 View Post
Did your consultant tell you they needed to be in a locked cabinet? The technical manual only says that cleaning supplies must be secure and out of reach of children. Mine are all in a closet on a shelf that is out of reach. In my basement my laundry room and bathroom, my laundry supplies are on a high shelf. Iíve been inspected twice since using the basement and she has never said anything about where there are. In my upstairs bathroom all the cabinets the kids can reach have safety locks on them. Iím curious if our consultants are telling us something different
It's been 2 1/2 years since I was inspected and in this particular closet I didn't have them locked, just up high. So I guess you're right, but if I want to have them on lower shelves, then I guess I'd have to have it locked. I still wonder about the basement door though. Last time I had one of those plastic pieces that snaps together that fits loosely on the handle. An adult has to squeeze it to turn the door knob. The kids are not able to do that. I don't want to use that, I'd rather just lock the door. I'm assuming that's fine.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-29-2018, 12:20 PM
morgan24's Avatar
morgan24 morgan24 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Just around the river bend
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
It's been 2 1/2 years since I was inspected and in this particular closet I didn't have them locked, just up high. So I guess you're right, but if I want to have them on lower shelves, then I guess I'd have to have it locked. I still wonder about the basement door though. Last time I had one of those plastic pieces that snaps together that fits loosely on the handle. An adult has to squeeze it to turn the door knob. The kids are not able to do that. I don't want to use that, I'd rather just lock the door. I'm assuming that's fine.
I would think thatís fine too. I had the door going to the basement locked at my previous house but it was the kind you had to put a wire key into it to unlock.

I had a visit 2 years ago in May to add my basement added as licensed space. The stairs didnít have a handrail on them. My consultant was training the consultant that was taking over his part of this area. They approved my basement. Then when I had to renew my license in December she came alone and gave me a violation for not having a hand rail on my stairs. I did ask her why they didnít tell me that in May because I would of already had it done. She said they must of not noticed. I think they all interpret the rules different.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
A piece of mulch? wow lol! My husband tried opening it with his fingernail and could't even get it to budge. I'm also looking at the magnet locks for the drawers. I like them because at the end of the day you can turn the switch so you don't have to have it toddler proof when the kids leave.

These are what I'm talking about. Does anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/REGIONALS-MAG...r%2Blocks&th=1
Those donít work well on wood surfaces...they go on with a sticky pad. They work great on my medicine cabinets though, which have plastic surfaces to adhere to. Safety First Tot locks are similar, but installed with screws. I recommend those for porous surfaces. Itís considered a key lock by licensing in California.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:05 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I always wonder if the parents have all this stuff locked up? How do their children go into the bathroom at home if everything is out and unlocked?

Everything I have locked up, my daycare kids have never even remotely tried to get into in the almost 21 years I have been open. My own children didn't ever bother anything.

I have everything locked up but just makes me wonder how these children survive at home
My children use the magnetic keys to get the toothpaste out, use it, and then put the key back.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
just makes me wonder how these children survive at home
Most don't have to..... they spend most their waking hours at daycare and when they are home, they're too busy with screen time to even think about getting into something.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
My children use the magnetic keys to get the toothpaste out, use it, and then put the key back.
Same here. We've had magnetic locks for almost 20 years and having to use the magnet "key" is just something you do without even thinking about it after a while.

I also have the option of "turning off" the locks but it's easier to just leave them locked.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:28 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Most don't have to..... they spend most their waking hours at daycare and when they are home, they're too busy with screen time to even think about getting into something.
You are so right!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
locks, magnetic locks, medication - storage, storage, storing cleaning fluids, storing medicationi, tot locks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exit/Entrance Doors Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 08-01-2017 12:03 PM
Changing To Having Locked Doors brookeroo Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 10-03-2012 11:23 AM
Same Mom, Do You Find this Rude?? My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 65 06-27-2010 12:00 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming