Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>COVID….UGH!! Here We Go Again!!!
dolores 05:30 PM 01-14-2021
I know the forum has covered this and I’m re-reading but still wanted to post:

DCD has covid. I do rapid drop off/pickup at front door (parent stays outside, child walks into vestibule to me) and only one family on porch at a time so based on CDC's definition, I was not a close contact.

DCG is quarantining at home. Told DCM who just had a baby that it is urgent DCG gets a rapid test as I need to know if to inform families/close/quarantine/get tested, etc, etc. She stated she couldn’t get to testing because of newborn, sick husband etc. She is getting an at home test but it won’t arrive until next Monday. DCG has no symptoms and doctor said its best to wait until Monday anyway to get test to know for sure.

SO I'm in limbo for the next 5 days, uncertain of what to do until then. If I tell families of potential exposure now and DCG is negative I would've alarmed them unnecessarily. If I don't tell them now and she is positive that would've been 5 days since last contact we were at risk. AND with delayed testing, how do I know if she was positive while she was here or she caught it while quarantining at home?

What to do?
Former Teacher 05:55 PM 01-14-2021
I am a nanny to 2 doctors in the military.

The mom told me today that 1 of the doctors was "exposed" to a confirmed COVID person and they still have to quarantine.

Michael 06:02 PM 01-14-2021
I would tell your parents of the potential contraction. It’s crazy. I heard today they believe one third of Angelenos here have COVID. Most are Asymptomatic. I believe everyone will come in contact with this virus over time. It’s just something we are going to have to live with now with the vaccine getting out.
Valerie928 05:44 AM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
I would tell your parents of the potential contraction. It’s crazy. I heard today they believe one third of Angelenos here have COVID. Most are Asymptomatic. I believe everyone will come in contact with this virus over time. It’s just something we are going to have to live with now with the vaccine getting out.
It's crazy how many asymptomatic cases there are! Wouldn't this bring us to herd immunity faster? If you add up the amount of people that have had covid + asymptomatic cases?
My daughter was directly exposed for 2 days to a friend that had come down with covid. My daughter quarantined and did a rapid test and 2 pcr tests. She never became sick and all her tests were negative. My guess is she is either wonder woman or has antibodies?
Snowmom 07:09 AM 01-15-2021
Honestly, at this point of the pandemic, there is no "alarming them unnecessarily".
I would tell them of the possibility and probably throw in a warning of possible closure and potential isolation on the horizon.

We all know it's coming at some point. Giving the information when you hear of it is important to minimizing the damage.
Jo123ABC 11:41 AM 01-15-2021
I also would let other families know of possible exposure. I would then go about my business as usual because there aren't many options unless you're okay with going without a paycheck and possibly losing families due to too many closures.
e.j. 05:58 PM 01-16-2021
If it were me, I'd let the other families know what's going and then let them know what my plans are for the day care. In my case, I'd tell dc parents that I plan to clean and sanitize the day care as much as possible and remain open unless/until I'm told the child is positive and I have to close. By the time dcg's tested and results are in, any closure or quarantining you would have to do would be minimal, if at all - unless someone else comes down with it in the meantime.

I would think if the dcg is found to be positive, by the time you got results, any quarantining you would need to do would be based on the last day she was at your day care so even if she has to quarantine longer because she may have caught it while she was at home, it wouldn't prolong your incubation or quarantine time.

As a dc parent, I would be nervous knowing my child was possibly exposed to Covid but I'd understand that it wasn't my provider's fault. It's the risk I took bringing my child to day care during a pandemic. I'd be very upset, though, if my provider didn't tell me about a possible exposure since I might want to keep my child home until we knew for sure or there might be steps I could take to minimize further exposure to the rest of my family. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hopefully, she'll test negative and her dad will be ok. If you're nervous you might have it, could you get tested to reassure yourself?
dolores 06:30 AM 01-17-2021
I told parents. Several thanked me for the information, one of whom mentioned child was going to visit grandparents this weekend so they cancelled. I'm glad I told.

They keep asking for an update which I don't have because DCG has not been tested yet. DCD is quarantining outside of the home and DCM and DCG have no symptoms. I hope to hear from them before I reopen on Tuesday.

DOH told me to tell parents, remain open because we are a contact of a contact and to follow CDC's sanitizing/disinfecting guidelines. If DCG tests positive I report to DOH and follow their instructions which would most likely include closing, quarantining, testing and tracing.

I will not hesitate disclosing this information moving forward. Being honest and transparent is best which is the advice you've given me here. THANK YOU!

A resource I learned about from DOH is that positive individuals who cannot isolate at home can get free hotel quarantine stays which helps minimize spread to family members.

Thanks again!
Pestle 06:55 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
DOH told me to tell parents, remain open because we are a contact of a contact and to follow CDC's sanitizing/disinfecting guidelines. If DCG tests positive I report to DOH and follow their instructions which would most likely include closing, quarantining, testing and tracing.
That's the part that all of us need to remember! We don't have to close if the person who tested positive is not a person within the daycare or the provider's household, but we need to give people a heads-up so they can watch for symptoms and be prepared for a potential closure.
Tags:covid-19 - quarantine, quarantine
Reply Up