Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constipation
jenboo 04:00 PM 02-25-2014
I have an almost 2 year old DCB who is always constipated. He will go a few days without a bm while he is with me then he has a couple days where he cries every time he needs to poop and said his bottom hurts. He will poop a tiny tiny drop... Sometimes I don't notice. He gets a bad rash. I will mention something to DCM, she gives him prune juice for a couple days. Then he poops a small amount every half hour for a day and then the cycle starts over.
He doesn't eat much, especially when he is really constipated.
Any one have any ideas for this poor guy? Should I get my own prune juice and give him a little each day?
Evansmom 04:14 PM 02-25-2014
As a mom who has dealt with a DS who used to be "too busy" to stop playing and listen when his body tells him to go to the bathroom which resulted in constipation I offer the following advice.

This child needs to get un-constipated and it will take a few weeks to get him regular, not a few days. The way we got my DS to get regular was to give him a cup or two of apple juice that wasn't diluted. He'd never had full strength juice so it worked pretty fast for him. We did this for about 4 days in a row. Once things got going for him then it was a matter of making sure he sat on the toilet a few times a day to see if his body needed to poop. I kept special books near by so he could have something to look at while waiting. After about 2 weeks of regularly sitting on the toilet he began to listen to his body on his own and then he was regular again. I still have to keep tabs on him everyday tho, to be sure things are moving in the right direction.

My friend also started her 2 year old on a 1/2 dose of a stool softener that her doc recommended and it helped them.
jenboo 04:36 PM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
As a mom who has dealt with a DS who used to be "too busy" to stop playing and listen when his body tells him to go to the bathroom which resulted in constipation I offer the following advice.

This child needs to get un-constipated and it will take a few weeks to get him regular, not a few days. The way we got my DS to get regular was to give him a cup or two of apple juice that wasn't diluted. He'd never had full strength juice so it worked pretty fast for him. We did this for about 4 days in a row. Once things got going for him then it was a matter of making sure he sat on the toilet a few times a day to see if his body needed to poop. I kept special books near by so he could have something to look at while waiting. After about 2 weeks of regularly sitting on the toilet he began to listen to his body on his own and then he was regular again. I still have to keep tabs on him everyday tho, to be sure things are moving in the right direction.

My friend also started her 2 year old on a 1/2 dose of a stool softener that her doc recommended and it helped them.
This guy isn't potty trained yet for me but does a good job at home. I'll try the juice and talk to his mom about asking the Dr what we should do. Poor guy cries and cries while holding his bottom and barely poops anything out.
daycarediva 04:42 PM 02-25-2014
I would request she bring it up to the pediatrician!

I have a super constipated 2yo who eats great (eats a good diet at home as well). She did a food log/poop log,tried prune juice, fiber tabs, and is now on miralax. Dcg is regular now!
LadyPearl 04:49 PM 02-25-2014
I give my son fiber gummies and a probiotic as well. He seems to be better.
kelsey's kids 06:07 PM 02-25-2014
Definitely get him check out severe or long lasting constipation like that can lead to some many much worse problems like incontinence, bowl blockage and more
craftymissbeth 07:22 AM 02-26-2014
I agree that he needs to be seen by his doctor. My son has encopresis from long-term constipation and it ain't pretty! He's had it since he was 3 and he's 7 now and still has it

When they're constipated it often hurts when it finally comes out. That pain causes them to hold it all in and that's when encopresis can occur.
Tags:constipated, dietary needs, grains, milk, milk - alternatives, vegetables, water consumtion, whole foods
Reply Up