Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Little One, Interesting Behavior
Baby Beluga 02:18 PM 08-30-2017
DCB is 18 months and is showing some interesting behavior patterns.

*Will not eat - anything. Mom says he is a garbage disposal at home and eats everything. Here he will sit at the table but he puts his head down and closes his eyes. This is at every meal/snack time so I do not think he is putting his head down to sleep.

*He does not move. He is capable of walking now (started walking 2-3 weeks ago.) According to mom he walks and runs all the time at home. But here? He sits in one spot and refuses to move. Toys, other children his age, fun activities, nothing will entice him to move. If I take his hand and guide him to an activity he either picks his feet up off the floor or sits down and screams.

*He won't pick up anything that is his. For example, he sleeps with a bink. I put it on his cot at nap time but he won't pick it up to put it in his mouth. He will cry for it. He will stare at it. But he won't get it.

*When sitting his head is either down (chin to chest) or it is as far back as it can go and he stares at the ceiling lights.

*During pick up he won't move toward mom or dad. He will cry when they arrive, but won't move.

I am used to crying during an adjustment period but this little man is showing interesting behavior that is new to me.
happymom 03:06 PM 08-30-2017
Could his parents be lying?

Have you seen him partake in the behaviors that they describe?
Ariana 03:21 PM 08-30-2017
Inhad a child who I felt was ASD and acted similar. Extremely lethargic here. Would go from standing to sitting in a "sinking down" motion with his legs. He would stand in one spot when outside, not moving. Once I brought him out into the hot sun with no hat to see if he would move and he just stood there. He would sometimes lie on the ground not moving.

I took videos to show his mom, she was shocked. Apparently at home he was a complete genius. I started feeling like I was insane! I terminated care because of that feeling and because I felt mom was in major denial.

From what I coukd gather from online research some children with autism become hypotonic or hypostimulated. They react to stimuli by shutting down. Sinking into the carpet, putting their head down....basically going catatonic in a sense. It might be what is happening here. The first redflag for me was when I blew bubbles and he just sat there letting them fall and pop on his face with no reaction. I had never seen a child at 18 months do that! Mom might be telling the truth. From what I had read children on the spectrum act that way with us because they are stressed and out of their comfort zone. It is why many parents stay in denial I think.
storybookending 03:32 PM 08-30-2017
Sounds too me like there is something developmental wrong there.
Mom2Two 04:41 PM 08-30-2017
Maybe request a letter from pediatrician re development. He should have had a 12 mth mini-assessment by the pediatrician, you could request that.

Did you do an All About Me? You could ask parent to show you/tell you the favorite activities.

Or just trust your gut that this parent is lying to you. It's definitely a bit suspicious.
Baby Beluga 04:42 PM 08-30-2017
When mom and sister brought him over for a meet and greet (I've worked with this family since 2012) he walked but preferred to crawl and mom carried him most of the time. I did not see him eat food but I did witness him throw a couple of toys (to which mom laughed ) He did not play though. Most kids who come in regardless of age make a beeline for the toys and play while parents and I chat.

During snack today I did hand over hand, picked up a raisin and put it in his mouth. As long as I did this he ate. When I stopped, he stopped eating.

An interesting thing happened this afternoon. He is my last one by about 1 hour and given his lack of movement I felt it was safe to bring my 5 month old into the classroom on his own rug/blanket with baby toys. The 18 month old walked over to the blanket and had the best time with the infant toys. Did not hesitate at all.

Do you think it's a case of being over babied and the independence of my regular crew is shocking?
Baby Beluga 04:43 PM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Inhad a child who I felt was ASD and acted similar. Extremely lethargic here. Would go from standing to sitting in a "sinking down" motion with his legs. He would stand in one spot when outside, not moving. Once I brought him out into the hot sun with no hat to see if he would move and he just stood there. He would sometimes lie on the ground not moving.

I took videos to show his mom, she was shocked. Apparently at home he was a complete genius. I started feeling like I was insane! I terminated care because of that feeling and because I felt mom was in major denial.

From what I coukd gather from online research some children with autism become hypotonic or hypostimulated. They react to stimuli by shutting down. Sinking into the carpet, putting their head down....basically going catatonic in a sense. It might be what is happening here. The first redflag for me was when I blew bubbles and he just sat there letting them fall and pop on his face with no reaction. I had never seen a child at 18 months do that! Mom might be telling the truth. From what I had read children on the spectrum act that way with us because they are stressed and out of their comfort zone. It is why many parents stay in denial I think.
I tried bubbles today. He did sat in the grass and did nothing. My crew LOVES bubbles and goes wild for them.
sahm1225 05:28 PM 08-30-2017
Can you ask mom to show you a video of him at home?
hwichlaz 05:47 PM 08-30-2017
My first thought is...
He's shutting down, over stimulated. I'd suspect ASD.
Baby Beluga 02:21 PM 08-31-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Can you ask mom to show you a video of him at home?
This is a good idea, thank you.
Unregistered 03:21 PM 09-05-2017
I had one many years ago that had strange behavior with me at first - only walked on his knees, not playing or doing things for himself, not engaging with me very much. He was removed from the previous daycare because his parents didn't think he was learning anything, and he was much more animated at the interview than his first few days with me. I figured out that the previous daycare just wasn't very nice and must have been very crabby at him. It took just a few weeks for him to get comfortable and be the little boy he should be.

I had another one that used to do the staring down or up and go stalk still whenever I would redirect or just no-nonsense direct (time to put the toys away for lunch, now). Turned out, his dad screamed and threatened at home all the time, and when dad left the home he completely stopped that shutting down.

Those were my experiences, anyway. I hope your little guy comes around or gets the early intervention if he needs it.
Tags:asd, developmental delay, developmentally delayed, separation anxiety
Reply Up