Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You All...
Hunni Bee 05:30 PM 05-02-2011
...alert parents when there is a contagious disease going around?

We've got one confirmed case of strep throat, and a couple other mysterious absences. We usually put a sign on the door telling them how many cases there are, what the symptoms are and to please alert us if their child exhibits them.

We do this for strep, stomach viruses and any other virus that's kind of serious or spreading fast.

Lots of fun sanitizing tomorrow.
SandeeAR 06:02 PM 05-02-2011
I try and spread the word, faster than the virus spreads!
momatheart 06:04 PM 05-02-2011
State law we have to notify parents. Eg if there is a confirmed case of strep, pink eye, foot and mouth, we have a whole list at work.
jen2651 06:24 PM 05-02-2011
I always tell parents. When my kiddos were in care, I really liked to know. My daughter was 6 months old and scarlet fever/strep went through care. Provider called me one day to say she had a low fever and just wasn't acting herself. Since it was a Friday I decided to bring her in and made them do a strep test (dr. said she was too young and odds were she didn't have it and seemed to be acting fine...well, I know my daughter, and she was way clingy for her...even though it wasn't clingy at all for any other kid). Results came back...kiddo had strep. Dr. was even amazed and apologized to me for treating me like a hypochondriac mom.

If the provider hadn't told me about strep going around, I would have never brought her in and asked (demanded) the test.
PitterPatter 06:26 PM 05-02-2011
I always inform of anything contagious, I just don't say who has/had it.
melskids 03:08 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I always inform of anything contagious, I just don't say who has/had it.
me too.

of course, this is small town living, and all my parents are either related or friends, so most of the time they all know before i even do lol
Kaddidle Care 04:27 AM 05-03-2011
We are also required to notify. Getting the parents to notify us can be like pulling teeth.

It's common courtesy to give others a head's up, especially with something like strep.
SilverSabre25 04:39 AM 05-03-2011
When you tell parents these things...do they ever seem to blame *you* for there being an illness of any sort in the daycare? 'cause that's the reaction I seem to get half the time...
lil angels 05:27 AM 05-03-2011
I just say hay just giving you a heads up someone went home with or went to the doctor and has ______ just so you know. Most of the parents are like well they spent the day here with them we will just see if they get it. Most people don't blame it on me I don't think unless it is my kid. I forgot to tell someone one time they were only here a couple days a week and the flu was going around and they had called to let me know they had it and I felt so bad because mom was like I wander where it came from. I always try to let everyone know when it is something bad.
squareone 05:32 AM 05-03-2011
State regs require that we notify parents of contagious illnesses/ diseases. Thankfully I haven't had to do this yet (knock on wood).

Like pp said, the problem is getting the parent to tell you when their child is contagious.
Meeko 06:19 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
State law we have to notify parents. Eg if there is a confirmed case of strep, pink eye, foot and mouth, we have a whole list at work.
Yep...required by the state.
texascare 06:21 AM 05-03-2011
Absolutley let the other parents know. That way they know what to look for and hopefully won't bring their child if they start getting sick!
Hunni Bee 05:26 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
When you tell parents these things...do they ever seem to blame *you* for there being an illness of any sort in the daycare? 'cause that's the reaction I seem to get half the time...
Or if you suggest that their kid might have it...I had a 5 year old with fever and sore throat today, and I mentioned that there had been a case of strep confirmed yesterday and the mom was kinda looking at me like "thanks for ruining my life" LOL... Sorry!
Meeko 10:49 AM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Or if you suggest that their kid might have it...I had a 5 year old with fever and sore throat today, and I mentioned that there had been a case of strep confirmed yesterday and the mom was kinda looking at me like "thanks for ruining my life" LOL... Sorry!
You just have to accept that sort of attitude. If they really stopped to think (hahahahahaha!...sorry...just being sarcastic..) they would know that no matter how clean you keep your day care or how good your exclusion policies are...kids still get sick.
DCMom 10:57 AM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep. My other favorite is when the first question the doctor asks is if it's at daycare?? WTH? I would say daycare is the last place it comes from ~ most of my illnesses end up coming from school aged who pass it on to younger sibs who bring it to daycare and share.
nannyde 12:49 PM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Yep. My other favorite is when the first question the doctor asks is if it's at daycare?? WTH? I would say daycare is the last place it comes from ~ most of my illnesses end up coming from school aged who pass it on to younger sibs who bring it to daycare and share.
Doctors ask this because it's the cheapest way to get them out the door. They have figured out that this is what the parents want to hear. It keeps the convo light... the responsibility somewhere else ... and lays the groundwork for the note writing that allows the kids back in because everyone has been exposed anyway.
Tags:contagious, diseases, illness policy, notice of sickness, sick policy
Reply Up