Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Week 3 and still screaming
Mrs. CC 05:26 AM 11-07-2011
DCK is already screaming. distraction isn't working. Reading books (he is 12 months) isn't working. Singing isn't working. dancing with the others isn't working.

I am already having a stressful week (our week started last Thursday when DH started 12 hour shifts at work) and the screaming is really bothering me today.

I know he is special. I know he has had a horrible life. I know that he is only 12 months old. I know all of this but it doesn't change that his screaming/crying affects all the children and today it is affecting me.

If you are the praying type I really could use them today.
Heidi 06:16 AM 11-07-2011
I'm so sorry! You are special, too, and no matter what your age, your are only human.

Why does he scream so? Seperation anxiety or special need?
Meyou 06:20 AM 11-07-2011
Oh hon. Big hugs to you. You can do this.

This might sound obvious but what about snacks? When I have a new one around that age when all else fails a yummy snack can distract them for a bit. I have a 17 month old now that has a snack at 430 everyday because she loses her mind around that time everyday and it keeps us all happy. Just a thought.

Is he miserable even when he's up in your arms?
Mrs. CC 06:26 AM 11-07-2011
His degree of misery changes in my arms but he screams while he is putting food in his mouth. He screams sitting on me. He screams being held.

He is a foster child who was taken from his home a little over 2 weeks ago and he comes here for childcare while his Foster Parents are at work.

I know life is hard for him. I know it can't make sense to him all these new people.

BUT - there are other children here and we really are all on edge and unable to do anything fun because he just screams
awestbrook713 06:26 AM 11-07-2011
So sorry you are going through this, sending happy thoughts your way.
Mrs. CC 06:30 AM 11-07-2011
Thank you all for being here. I am hopeful that it is just a bad day and that tomorrow will be better. He isn't as screamy as he was last week. As horrible as it sounds the breaks between his screaming just seem like torture when he starts up again. Like we know how nice it can be but then it is ruined.

We are working on stamping and coloring cards for a 90 year old woman in town. The older kids can't hear what we are doing because of his screaming.

I hope he naps today. That will give us all a much needed break if he does
Nellie 08:06 AM 11-07-2011
Do you know how he slept last night? I realize that he has been here for 2 weeks and his situation is difficult. Tiredness makes a normal screamer scream more. Daylight savings time has affected a few of the ones here. Maybe he needs to go back to sleep if he is already screaming in the morning. I know he is little, but I know that they do understand. You could put him in a separate room for a little while and tell him he needs to stay there until he is done screaming. I have a 14 month that I occasionally have him throw his tantrum in the nap room. He understands, but so much changes month to month with children that age. I'm not certain if this is something that my 14 month old would have understood at 12. Hope the rest of the day and other days to come get easier.
Reply Up