Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying Baby Help!
angelpayne24 06:25 AM 02-03-2012
I have a daycare kid that i have kept since he was 6 weeks old. He is now 4 months old. So i have kept him a total of 2 and a half months. He cries allllll the time. He wakes up screaming. He cries if he isn't being held. He sleeps maybe 15 to 20 mins if i'm lucky, about 3 or 4 times in a day. The rest of the time he is crying if i'm not holding him or giving him my full attention. His mother says he doesn't cry at home and is a happy baby. She swears she doesn't hold him all the time and that he sleeps well when at home. What can I do? I'm loosing my mind. I'm going to start getting grey hair soon. I'm stressed out all the time and i get headaches from listening to him scream. He makes the other kids upset, he interfears with their naptimes, etc. I need advice, badly, please help me!
Countrygal 06:46 AM 02-03-2012
Do you use the same formula that he has at home? Just a thought. Could be an allergy.
angelpayne24 07:30 AM 02-03-2012
His mother brings his formula and I use her bottles, etc. At 4 weeks of age his mother said they changed his forumla to what he is on now because he had gas problems. But that he was fine after the change. And he seems fine at home as well. It's just when he is here that he screams constantly. Thank you for your reply Countrygal
KEG123 07:44 AM 02-03-2012
If he is night and day, my guess is she's lying.
cheerfuldom 07:48 AM 02-03-2012
Unless he has an insane amount of separation anxiety, it is very likely that his mom is lying. It's hard for parents to admit that they have a high needs baby. If they are not able to keep him happy at home, it may be that they just dont know what to tell you and are hoping you work out it on your own. the other thing is that they may have no clue that he really is not a very happy baby especially if they are holding him at home to keep him happy or if they have no other kids to compare his behavior to. they may feel that he really is a happy baby.

the first thing you can do is have a sit down meeting with the parents. lay out all the issues and respectfully ask for their support in solving them. this will give them an opportunity to be honest with you. if they insist that he is still a dream baby, it may be time to send him off to a new daycare because clearly he is not clicking with you. If they are honest about his behavior and you both can come up with a plan to address it, then it is up to you how long you want to keep working with them.

I would absolutely explore the formula being an issue. Also begin putting him on a routine. He is not sleeping near enough. Where and how is he sleeping at your house? I would begin swaddling, use white noise, a darkened room and away from other kids if possible. Does he take a paci? Where and how do they put him to sleep at home? He may be co-sleeping or sleeping in a swing or some other arrangement that you cannot duplicate at daycare and that is what is causing issues.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
If he is night and day, my guess is she's lying.
That's what I was thinking too. Well maybe not that mom was lying but that she maybe holds him all the time. (???)

I would ask mom to tell you what her routine at home is like. How often is baby held and for how long. How often is baby in a swing or bouncer? Does he sleep well and take regular naps at home?

If he is the polar opposite at daycare from what mom says goes on at home, she is either lying or bringing you a different baby.

Either way though, you two need to make a plan of action so that wha tyou are doing at daycare and what she is doing at home are somewhat similar. Invite mom to come spend an afternoon at daycare AS AN OBSERVER, not the child's caretaker and see if she has anything to offer as far as how you are doing things in regards to his care. Does she hold him differently? Is his place to nap at care similar to his place at home? darkness, comfort, sounds, etc...

Parents and providers obviously cannot do things exactly the same way but there does have to be some compromise and meeting in the middle in order for a child to have some sort of routine.
Cat Herder 07:59 AM 02-03-2012
I'd start by asking Mom where baby is put when she is not holding him.....

THAT may clear things up pretty quick.
Heidi 08:36 AM 02-03-2012
I agree with Cath, but also have another thought-

Is it possible that it's just too stimulating at your house compared to at home? Is he an only child with two adults at home, so it's just plain quieter?
Some younger babies are easily over-stimulated.

I was just thinking that a lot of you are required to have infants in the same room with you all the time, and at home, perhaps he has a crib in his own room in a quiet house?
Tags:bouncers, confinement, crying - all day, motion soothing, noise, rage baby, swings
Reply Up