Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 toddlers and one infant
blueclouds29 05:33 PM 02-03-2012
i just had a 2 month old DCB start last week. I'm wondering if any of you have had the baby start taking naps once a day with the other kids on thier nap schedule. Sounds crazy but summer is coming and I can't imagine what to do while the baby is sleeping in the AM/PM while we are supposed to go outside or while the other kids are sleeping having the baby awake.
Right now cause he's so young he takes lots of mini naps but does end up taking a nice nap while the kids are sleeping. I'm wondering if i can get him to take the one nap when he gets older hopefully this summer, june/july.
Christian Mother 05:46 PM 02-03-2012
I have a 3 month old and he is starting to sleep less. He seems to take naps after his bottles and those are like 2 hrs each. I also have a 8 mo old who is taking 2 naps 2 hrs each. Right now with the 2's and 3's we can't really go out side or play out side bc of the babies but if I have 1 baby then I can take the bouncer out side and place the baby in it with a blanket and there good. Mind you we are in AZ and the temp is fab. in the afternoon. If we had weather that was in the 50's 60's no way we would be going outside with the baby.
bice99 06:17 PM 02-03-2012
The 8 month olds I watch still take 2 2 hour naps a day.
Jenniferdawn 06:34 PM 02-03-2012
There's no way that baby will be ready for one nap this summer. I just took on my first infant and am struggling with the same difficulty. It's hard to get the kids outside when the babies sleep so much.
Breezy 06:41 PM 02-03-2012
I have an 11 month old (my DS) who still takes 2 naps
daycare 06:50 PM 02-03-2012
I think that is too young to expect that he or she can nap only once by then, however, its worth the shot, just have plan B.

My oldest son is adopted and when he came to my care he was only a few months old. I was blessed, he started sleeping through the night from 730-730 daily and taking a nap for 3 hours solid during the day at 5 months old. Yeah he is still lazy like that....

I dont have any advice on how you can do it, but I say if you have a plan to try it, what will it hurt?? If all else fails, just have a plan B, like maybe a PNP with a screen out on the patio where the kids play so that he can nap there....or right by the door in PNP with monitor so you can check every few minutes/....
cheerfuldom 08:15 PM 02-03-2012
What are your regulations as far as letting the baby nap if you are not in the same room? Are you allowed to use a monitor? Is there a way with your setup that you can nap him inside while you are outside? For instance, my napping room looks out to the backyard. I can look in the window and see anyone napping, even leave the window open, or use a monitor and we can still be outside. I am also not required to be licensed so I dont have the strict regulations that a licensed place might have.

As for one nap, the reality is that a 6 month old will need more than one nap a day. You will have to find someway to schedule things so that your baby is napped but the big kids get some outdoor time. Most of my 6 month olds are still one 3 naps a day even or just barely transitioning to two. Its pretty rare that I can get a child under 12 months to happily transition to only one nap a day.
Oneluckymom 09:32 PM 02-03-2012
I have an 8 mo old and have been using a stroller to go outside. She does fine. I a week I will have a 3 mo old starting and will be using a double stroller I will have bottles ready and will enjoy the fresh air. Trust me if they are tired they will sleep anywhere.
melskids 02:42 AM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I have an 8 mo old and have been using a stroller to go outside. She does fine. I a week I will have a 3 mo old starting and will be using a double stroller I will have bottles ready and will enjoy the fresh air. Trust me if they are tired they will sleep anywhere.
That's exactly what I was gonna say. Bring a pnp outside and put it away from the active play, under some shade.
seebachers 05:15 AM 02-04-2012
Yep....I take the monitor out with me while i am out with the kids. Most infants will take more than one nap a day. It should be at their convenience. Any time that I add an infant into my daycare, I see how it plays out for the infant's napping schedule and plan around it. Babies need a lot of sleep.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
That's exactly what I was gonna say. Bring a pnp outside and put it away from the active play, under some shade.
I also keep a PNP outside for necessary napping.

I have also declined infants of a certain age because I knew they would be at a tough age for the summer months because no way am I missing outdoor time!!

My licensor has also suggested that we take our moinitor's outside while the baby sleeps inside too so I do know that is acceptable to do where I live.

~On a side note, I currently have a 6.5 month old who is M-F from 9-3 everyday, I am lucky if he naps ONCE during the week and super happy if the nap is longer than 30 minutes I'd love it if he just took one good nap period.... thankfully he is a teacher's child so I won't have him at all this summer
Heidi 10:18 AM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I have a 3 month old and he is starting to sleep less. He seems to take naps after his bottles and those are like 2 hrs each. I also have a 8 mo old who is taking 2 naps 2 hrs each. Right now with the 2's and 3's we can't really go out side or play out side bc of the babies but if I have 1 baby then I can take the bouncer out side and place the baby in it with a blanket and there good. Mind you we are in AZ and the temp is fab. in the afternoon. If we had weather that was in the 50's 60's no way we would be going outside with the baby.
LOL! 50's and 60's-

I'm laughing because I'm in WI. We don't take the babies out when it's much below freezing, but 50-60's is heaven here!
momma2girls 01:28 PM 02-04-2012
I have a 1 1/2 yr. old still taking 2 naps, I couldn't imagine him not taking 2 naps!! He is up at 6 am every am, there is no way he could go til 12:00 or 12:30- ughh!! He is ready to go down between 8:30-9:00 every am
Crazy8 06:30 PM 02-04-2012
that is my usual group - 1 infant and 4 toddlers - and I have never found a baby to be ready for 1 nap a day until well over a year old. I just either let them take their morning nap in the stroller (works best for younger, older infants try to fight it more) or we just go right out back and I bring the monitor out with me. If I leave my sliding door open I can even hear them without the monitor but of course I still bring it!
blueclouds29 07:52 PM 02-04-2012
Thank you everyone for your input yes, figured he would still need two naps at such a young age but wanted to see what you guys have done! Yes I can bring a monitor outside with me or just change our outside time earlier or later! Right now I have had him in a bouncer inside on the other side of the sliding door while we are out side on our back porch. I sit right there at the door so I can watch the baby and the kids. Again thank you everyone!
Rachel 09:53 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
i just had a 2 month old DCB start last week. I'm wondering if any of you have had the baby start taking naps once a day with the other kids on thier nap schedule. Sounds crazy but summer is coming and I can't imagine what to do while the baby is sleeping in the AM/PM while we are supposed to go outside or while the other kids are sleeping having the baby awake.
Right now cause he's so young he takes lots of mini naps but does end up taking a nice nap while the kids are sleeping. I'm wondering if i can get him to take the one nap when he gets older hopefully this summer, june/july.
It's not healthy or normal for a 6 month old to take one nap a day. I have an 8 month old who will only nap once, but it's 11 - 12:30, right before my others nap. If I try to put him off, I have a screaming baby for 1.5 hours who crashes and sleeps 20 minutes because he's overtired. He does need a second nap around 3:30 - 4:00, but he goes home by 4:30 so unless he's really losing it I try to keep him up (or call mom and ask if she wants me to put him down or come a bit earlier for him).
KEG123 08:01 AM 02-05-2012
I bet the baby could sleep in the stroller, on the reclined all the way back position.
Or else, if you are comfortable with it, most babies fall asleep in a carrier.
itlw8 12:39 PM 02-05-2012
by summer the baby should be taking 2 nice naps a day instead of all those mini naps newborns do. Work on setting a schedule for longer morning nap.

I like the old fashioned strollers that lay flat so baby can nap outdoors, I turn the stroller so the breeze is from the back and the sun also. Then if needed a blanket over the shade top for extra shade. I move baby around the yard with me.

We also adjust our schedule so we do messy indoor things when baby is sleeping and play ourdoors during babies awake times.
Reply Up