Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My FCCERS Observation Is On Friday
Abigail 04:55 PM 10-01-2012
I've looked over the FCCERS book SOME, not much at all. I will continue to look over it for more sanitary guidelines and also for more toy/organization guidelines but I feel so stressed! This is the first observation so I'm suppose to "improve" within 10 months of doing this so maybe I should stop trying so dang hard! Any advice please! I'm so happy it is going to be from 7:45 am-11 am.

We've recently made a new schedule attempting a preschool curriculum which is mostly calendar, weather, flashcards, then a craft. We did it today it today and took about 40 minutes. I think I need to find a place in this to add music and reading also because i'm sure the observation will want to see that and since she isn't here in the afternoon when we do that we'll have to mix it in some. We normally do music before lunch and do reading after lunch.

Any advice on things you were graded on with your FCCERS observation or things you really over-worried about? I am going to take everything out of the storage closets and re-organize it all, lol. Then I'll be happy!
Crystal 05:15 PM 10-01-2012
Try not to make your "learning time" too structured. That isn't really what they are looking for. It should be more of a free choice/play based curriculum with interactions between children and teacher rather than a sit down do this type atmosphere. Do a finger play that promotes math learning for instance - 5 green and speckled frogs. Talk about the weather when looking out the window - that is science. Read a book about feelings - that is language/literacy and socio emotional support. Put out playdough, paper and crayons...simple stuff, don't bust out the paints etc. Put out materials that children can handle indepnedently so you can minimize the clean up and spend more time focusing on being with the children.

They will be listening to the language you use with children. They will want to see appropriate physical warmth and affection. They will want to see at least one provider-child interaction using blocks. They will want to see books for each age group - board books or cloth books for infants/toddlers, hard cover or soft cover books for older children and if you have school-agers, age appropriate books for them, with some seasonal books included for each group. They will want to see individualized schedules - children can lay down and rest when they need, use toilet as needed without having to wait for the group, etc. They will want to see dramatic play props and at least one teacher-child interaction with dramatic play (pretend to talk on the phone, drink a cup of tea, etc. )

Make sure you have warm running water in the restroom and that children wash their hands using warm water and soap. Make sure the sink is sanitized between uses - after potty handwashing/ before handwashing for mealtimes/before toothbrushing. When you wash tables before meals...FIRST wash with warm soapy water, THEN spray with bleach solution-let sit for 20 seconds and wipe with a paper towel (not a rag or sponge) Do not do this when any children are in the area. For toothbrushing, make sure you put toothpaste on a paper cup or something - not directly on the toothbrush because you will get marked down for cross-contamination.

Other than that -RELAX and have fun with the children when they are there. They want to see warm, caring, positive relationships, and you already GOT THAT!
Abigail 08:13 PM 10-02-2012
WOW Crystal! Good advice....

I typically use a blue washcloth for the kitchen (yes i use it most of the day, but lately we've been practicing using a new rag at each meal time because I read that) Then i use a clean dry white washcloth for all bleach/water solution needs which I use on the changing table, some for bathroom cleaning, and some for kitchen table cleaning. Do you think that is fine? I only have two bleach/water bottles though so one for changing table in main room and another in the bathroom up high on a floating shelf for bathroom and kitchen table spraying. Do you think I will need a third bottle or docked points for sharing for the bathroom and kitchen?

I only have a bathroom sink and was told, also like you said, to sanitize it before washing for mealtime or meal prep........does that mean to use a bleach/water bottle on the faucet and handles or the whole sink? Do I need to spray it twice since the first is suppose to be soapy water but I actually use bleach water twice. Also I know our rule here is 2 minute minimum for sanitizing.

Thanks so much for the ideas on playing with the kids more than structed curriculum I feel so much more comfortable now because I do believe children learn through play. We do calendar and we have a "weather watcher" song I taught the kids today we sing before looking out the window to do the weather. Then we do flashcards...they like flashcards. Should I add book time into our morning routine? What else besides something hands on like coloring? We sometimes like 2 times a week do an actual craft from the curriculum, but we're not following all the stupid curriculum it's too much.

I have a 10 month, 14 month, 2.5 years 2.75 years, and newly 3 year old so all I have available is about 15-18 boardbooks. I would never want to give the kids paperback books, do you think I'll be docked for having none available?

Blocks, have you heard that they recommend three types of stacking blocks (at least 5 or more of the same type to count) that do not connect so like legos and mega blocks don't count because they "connect". I do have cardboard, foam, and soft blocks but I don't have the soft blocks out right now so UGH I better bring those out just in case. With so much stuff in the room I feel like without having a helper I would NEVER keep it clean. If I didn't have the 14 month old the room would be clean cause the 2-3 are responsible for cleaning up.

OK I am still working my way through the FCCERS book, but I know they want a sensory table available daily year round. I just sold my water table for the season (we freeze over up here shortly!) so I need ideas for what to have in a bucket inside that isn't messy messy.

Also I know diversity is a HUGE factor so I made sure that half my books have children of different backgrounds in them on display, I took out my career people which half are from different countries, and I also have 1 "brown" water baby doll we keep inside and one that looks a little hispanic so I hope that helps me out! I'm good on having enough artwork of the children's displayed. One thing I read on someone's report was they got docked points for not talking about their artwork so I'm going to magically work it in and try to make it a habit. I normally do, but in 3 hours it's HARD to cover it all.

Please answer whatever questions you can, I know I a bunch more and I'll have more over the next few days. Do you have any ideas for 20 seconds of handwashing without singing a stupid song? Does anyone have a light that lights-up for 20-30 seconds or a timer that is programmed that everytime you touch it it stays on long enough? I hope to buy something soon but lately since none of the kids can reach the faucet even on the stepstool I turn the water on to wet their hands and turn it off while they get soap and scrub scrub scrub then I turn it back on to rinse. Do you think that's okay? I saved 15-20 seconds of water. LOL
MizzCheryl 10:51 AM 10-03-2012
Fccrs does not recognize "sensory tables" It has to be sand or water play. I think they will allow birdseed now? You might check that. I am sure Crystal will know. I just use an old tote box and put some water in it for water play. I use my sand toys. We do not do water play during the time FCCRS is here. I do not usually do sand during that time either. It is more of an afternoon activity. But we do sand or water every day.
I just made a list of what I knew they needed to see. I kept it available in a note book and I looked at it a couple of times to make sure I got everything in.
It had things like...

Talk about wall display
Play blocks with a child
Offer a drink of water
talk about a classroom plant or pet
Talk about numbers or shapes during free play and during routines
Talk about feelings
Give 5 minute warning before next activity
Set up an activity for 1 or 2 children to do in a quiet place
use descriptive words
Talk to a child on a play phone or particpate in dramatic play
Talk about nature inside and outside
Help kids use word to solve problems
Explain why we do or do not do things
Praise positive behavior
Model good social skills
Read to the whole group
read to 1 or 2 children

I even wrote down the obvious things because I can sometimes be nervous when The observers are here and I want to make sure I don't forget to be myself.
I do not do any provider directed activities other than circle time. The children can participate if they like but if they do not want to they can do something else.
Abigail 02:06 PM 10-03-2012
Clueless, do you offer art activities for the kids to do during free play or have a sit down time for coloring or play-doh or something? I have an easel in the garage and was wondering if I need to bring it inside. We normally use it outside in the summer for painting. Thanks for the list, offering water I should have known but I'll have to remember that.
MizzCheryl 03:53 PM 10-03-2012
My art supplies were out so the kids could use them but no one did during the observation. I had fat crayon, fat chalk and colored pencils, oh and markers.
Some of my crayons were broken so be sure you get those out. They measured them so I am sure they would be considered a choking hazard.You have to make the marker lids inaccesable too. I just had them out on a shelf, a little high for the toddler but all the others could reach them.
I didn't offer any activities except a short circle time and I offered a little game for 1 kid to do in a space alone.
Abigail 08:29 AM 10-04-2012
I thought all crayons were a choking hazard whether broken or not because they can fit through a toilet paper roll? I guess I can toss out the smaller ones or set them in a bag to make into muffin tin crayons next year when we get enough.

I don't know what I am going to do with art because I just did a "trial run" with my worker on how our preschool schedule will go so it's the same things in the same order each day. 1. calendar, 2. weather w/song, 3. flashcards, 4. book, 5. music/movement, and 6. art

I have a 10 and 14 month who will not do art. I have 2 two-year olds and 1 three-year old as of last week so they're VERY young. Do you think I need to have crayons in the main playroom? I just think it's a bad idea.
Springdaze 08:39 AM 10-04-2012
1. do the evaluation people really think you do ALL this stuff everyday?
2. How does this certification help your business or do you have to have it? Its all very good stuff to keep in mind, but I never really thought about doing it if it costs much money, just like the NACCP.
MizzCheryl 10:04 AM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I thought all crayons were a choking hazard whether broken or not because they can fit through a toilet paper roll? I guess I can toss out the smaller ones or set them in a bag to make into muffin tin crayons next year when we get enough.

I don't know what I am going to do with art because I just did a "trial run" with my worker on how our preschool schedule will go so it's the same things in the same order each day. 1. calendar, 2. weather w/song, 3. flashcards, 4. book, 5. music/movement, and 6. art

I have a 10 and 14 month who will not do art. I have 2 two-year olds and 1 three-year old as of last week so they're VERY young. Do you think I need to have crayons in the main playroom? I just think it's a bad idea.
If you don't want art accessible Much of the day that is really up to you. You can make up for that in a different area. I tried to do EVERYTHING they wanted to get a 7 in each area. There are areas I just cannot ge a 7 in so I thought "If I am gonna do It I am gonna go all the way and do what the book says."
Abigail 10:32 AM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
1. do the evaluation people really think you do ALL this stuff everyday?
2. How does this certification help your business or do you have to have it? Its all very good stuff to keep in mind, but I never really thought about doing it if it costs much money, just like the NACCP.
I don't NEED this. I am doing this to show that I am trying to improve my childcare business. I just opened a year ago and did a start up program and now this one is available. I actually get $1,800 for doing this over the course of 10 months and that is the "incentive".

Originally Posted by Clueless:
If you don't want art accessible Much of the day that is really up to you. You can make up for that in a different area. I tried to do EVERYTHING they wanted to get a 7 in each area. There are areas I just cannot ge a 7 in so I thought "If I am gonna do It I am gonna go all the way and do what the book says."
I went through our preschool curriculum that we decided will work best for us....which is our own with my helper and then I took one hour to organize our craft closet, but I'll have to finish it tonight after work. I have toys stored in that closet as well as art supplies. So I have two shelves of "group time" toys which are manipulatives or blocks or small items that are only for 2-3+ which need to be supervised, then I have one shelf of "rotational" toys that we can rotate with our toys that are currently out every once in awhile then the rest of the shelves are art but I need to find a way to get them setup nice and easy to access.

I will totally feel happy when this is over because the house will be clean and we've got all our schedules figured out and we get "refresher" time and more "training" for my helper. I am so thankful for everyone's advice so far. Please share anything else or else in 24 hours my review will be over already! Then I can relax this weekend!
Crystal 11:24 AM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:

As per the FCCERS " In groups with children under 3 years of age or with some developmental delays, the provider may bring out materials to make them accessible with close supervision for as long as there is interest. " and "to give credit the materials must be accessible for at least 1 hour in an 8 hour program"

So, you do not have to leave them out where the children can get them on their own, just make sure you bring them out for a bit during the observation. It doesn't have to be crayons or drawing specifically, you just need to have them available if the children want them. You can have anything (paint, playdough, crayons and paper should all be available) ready to go in a closet and just pull it out when you can supervise your young group well. If you do not do it during the observation, the assessor should ask you during your interview how you handle art time and should ask to see your art supplies - so you can show her and then state that you bring materials out at specific times of the day or as requested by the children.
Abigail 12:56 PM 10-04-2012
Thanks Crystal. By tonight I'll have a super nice organized closet for art, but we will have the 2 year olds do coloring or play-doh tomorrow at the end of preschool as that is our daily goal.

OYE, I'm so exhausted and have a lot of work to still do at daycare tonight. It's already after closing time, but it'll take me at least another hour just to be better prepared for tomorrow. I'm excited that I can finally get this over with. Wish me luck!
Abigail 12:04 PM 10-05-2012
My observation is over! What a crazy day! I normally have 4 kids on a Friday but one I found out from a text this morning was staying home with a fever. Then I was thinking okay still three kids will be here for the observation. So My last family of two to arrive came earlier than usual so the observer was not here yet and to top it off only one of the two kids came since the other was sick too! I was shocked that she still did the observation, but she said at least half of the children have to be here and I did have 2/4 and one was a baby and one was a toddler. She said since I had two age groups she would just cut it short and go ahead and do it! I was relieved, but it felt really staged to me, like wayyy to perfect!

She was here for only 2 hours. We did one diaper change, breakfast, potty breaks, preschool--calendar, weather w/ song, flashcards, a book, wheels on the bus song with actions then we played with baby dolls and fed them and put them to bed. We played with pianos with the real baby. Then my helper came in and this was my classic "I have to go the bathroom" so I could get out of the room for a moment so I wasn't being watched like a hawk! LOL. Then I had my helper play blocks with the toddler so I think we covered everything. At the end of preschool we did art which I was going to do coloring, but she wanted to paint so I decided why the heck not she got her art smock and I gave her three paint colors to paint with on a pre-printed bus picture since we did the wheels on the bus song just prior to it.

The observer left when we were getting ready to go outside after snack. She asked tons of questions and I even offered to give her number to parents to ask about pickup/drop off since she didn't see it. I felt like it went too perfect so I hope to get some honest reviews back. I really did go above and beyond though to impress her. I didn't have art supplies available for the kids (duhh, MHO they are 2 and only one just turned 3 they're not NEEDING to have art access in the same room as the babies play and all their other toys. I also answered that we only do water play outside in the summer. So I know it's not perfect. I wonder how I did with changing cloth diapers though. Now I can RELAX this weekend and finally work on my house since daycare is in perfect order!

MizzCheryl 05:24 PM 10-05-2012
Abigail, Congrats.

I am glad you can relax. I know exactlywhat you mean about that. It is extremly stressful. Sounds like you had a great day.
Enjoy your weekend.
Sugar Magnolia 05:26 PM 10-05-2012
Whooooooo Hooooooo!!!!!
Abigail 09:51 AM 10-09-2012
Thanks guys I am so glad it's over! I know I get to do another observation in about 8 months old so, but at least I have met the lady and will have more to go off of trying to improve and just that much more experience with my own daycare and the same kids (for the most part) will make a difference. My observer is scheduled to come back on Wednesday in two weeks to give me my results. Happy but nervous about that because she wants to come in the morning and I wish she would come during nap. It's only one hour I guess to get results then I have an appt to run off to so that will be a fast day i'm sure too!
Tags:fccers, improvement, observation
Reply Up