Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am So Mad!!!
Thriftylady 04:34 AM 06-22-2016
My nurse mom pretty much sets her own hours. She told me the other night she needed to be to work early, and she would bring the girls a little after 6. They got here around 8. Then last night she said the same thing. I told her "well I got up early for you this morning and you didn't come". She said she was sorry, that she didn't hear her phone. Now it is 7:30 her contracted time, and she still isn't here. I just need to figure out what I am going to say to her. I am thinking I am not going to get up early for her anymore, I just need a not snotty way to say it.
childcaremom 04:45 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
My nurse mom pretty much sets her own hours. She told me the other night she needed to be to work early, and she would bring the girls a little after 6. They got here around 8. Then last night she said the same thing. I told her "well I got up early for you this morning and you didn't come". She said she was sorry, that she didn't hear her phone. Now it is 7:30 her contracted time, and she still isn't here. I just need to figure out what I am going to say to her. I am thinking I am not going to get up early for her anymore, I just need a not snotty way to say it.

I've got nothing. Lots of snotty sayings, though, if you want some of those.

In the future, I would charge for early drop offs, whether she uses them or not. That way you are still getting paid whether or not she shows but guaranteed she'll show up if she has to pay.
Unregistered 04:49 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I've got nothing. Lots of snotty sayings, though, if you want some of those.

In the future, I would charge for early drop offs, whether she uses them or not. That way you are still getting paid whether or not she shows but guaranteed she'll show up if she has to pay.
From experience: Make that PRE-PAY for early drop-offs. No refunds, no applying to "next time."
Blackcat31 05:16 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
From experience: Make that PRE-PAY for early drop-offs. No refunds, no applying to "next time."
This. When you attach a fee it removes any emotions on your part. If you charge "extra" for early drop off and she doesn't show...I'd enjoy the quiet and my coffee on her PAID time.

If you are being compensated for this special request you really have no reason to be mad other than the fact that people can be rude and disrespectful but I haven't figured out a fee for that yet....
Mike 05:35 AM 06-22-2016
Agreed
Providers charge for late fees. Charge for early fees as well. If she doesn't show, oh well.
Thriftylady 05:55 AM 06-22-2016
Well now I am mad at DH! He says I shouldn't be that upset over it, that I am just mad about my sleep and I should just start a policy with her that she calls to wake me up when she is coming, since she always pays and all! He is missing the point! I feel she is being disrespectful and that upsets me as much as my sleep. It is not ten to 9, and she still isn't here. Technically I should have marked her kids absent by now, but she will come waddling in the door whenever she chooses. She does always pay, and never complains about my rates, or policies, but then she doesn't respect them very well either.

I am going to consider the extra charge and consider just not doing "special" for her anymore. Both of which hubby thinks are wrong. I can't get over the fact that even if she paid extra, I would still be ticked. And there is no way I am adopting hubby's "call when you are on your way" policy idea. I can tell you I have learned a lesson here. I worked with her on stuff due to being a nurse and getting called in and such. But since she took this new position a few months ago, she makes her own schedule.
Snowmom 06:13 AM 06-22-2016
Annoying!
I think a lot of spouses think the same way many parents do: that we work for them and not ourselves.
My husband used to say insensitive things in the beginning... like "don't charge them for that, they'll leave".
My response was always "good, they're replaceable and so are you".
Of course it was meant to be funny... but not really.
childcaremom 07:55 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Annoying!
I think a lot of spouses think the same way many parents do: that we work for them and not ourselves.
My husband used to say insensitive things in the beginning... like "don't charge them for that, they'll leave".
My response was always "good, they're replaceable and so are you".
Of course it was meant to be funny... but not really.
I'm saving this for my dh for next time.
Annalee 08:04 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I'm saving this for my dh for next time.
My DH has ABSOLUTELY NO part in my daycare! and I like it that way!
Unregistered 08:11 AM 06-22-2016
My DH has had to sub for me in the past. I had a very bad flu and woke up puking my guts out at 4:00 am. It was too late to call off daycare. So he took a day off and subbed for me. Since then, he has the upmost sympathy for me and my job
childcaremom 08:13 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My dh's a fixer. So my vents, which I see as a release, he sees as an invitation to 'fix' something. He does have some good advice sometimes but other times... well, I really like that line.
Unregistered 08:14 AM 06-22-2016
As for the dcm...if she can make her own hours, then she can make them at respectable times. YOUtell HER when to come. It shouldn't be a problem.
Thriftylady 08:36 AM 06-22-2016
So at 10 Am, I hadn't heard from her so I sent her a text that since I hadn't heard from her, that I was assuming they weren't coming and marking them absent. They were the only ones to come today. I went to mow the lawn. Came back to a text that she woke up sick and was going to the doctor, but didn't have her number in her new phone. So not my fault!!!! She said she tried to contact me via FB. My business facebook page has my number all over it AND a call now button! I haven't checked it yet, but the way I see it that gives her less of an excuse. I am still deciding how I want to handle this for next time, because there will be a next time, probably next week.
childcaremom 08:39 AM 06-22-2016
So at 10 Am, I hadn't heard from her so I sent her a text that since I hadn't heard from her, that I was assuming they weren't coming and marking them absent. They were the only ones to come today. I went to mow the lawn. Came back to a text that she woke up sick and was going to the doctor, but didn't have her number in her new phone. So not my fault!!!! She said she tried to contact me via FB. My business facebook page has my number all over it AND a call now button! I haven't checked it yet, but the way I see it that gives her less of an excuse. I am still deciding how I want to handle this for next time, because there will be a next time, probably next week.
I wouldn't offer her that option anymore. "I'm sorry. That doesn't work for me."

OR

As suggested above: Prepay in advance only in cash. No, I'm sorry, you can't bring it at drop off. No rescheduling. No refunds.
JackandJill 08:43 AM 06-22-2016
The only two options I see are a prepay method as other have mentioned or just don't allow it. If it were me, I would do the prepay option, and if she doesn't show enjoy the paid free time (but I am an early bird!!).

But it seems like this is more about respect than it is about the money. Perhaps you could talk with mom that if it happens again you will no longer open early for her. Doesn't matter if she does it next week or next year. One more strike and she is out
Thriftylady 08:48 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
The only two options I see are a prepay method as other have mentioned or just don't allow it. If it were me, I would do the prepay option, and if she doesn't show enjoy the paid free time (but I am an early bird!!).

But it seems like this is more about respect than it is about the money. Perhaps you could talk with mom that if it happens again you will no longer open early for her. Doesn't matter if she does it next week or next year. One more strike and she is out
I actually just told hubby this is what I am going to do. Money is nice, but really to me being treated like a human is better. And it really irks me when people act like our time doesn't matter just because we live where we work.
JackandJill 09:10 AM 06-22-2016
And it really irks me when people act like our time doesn't matter just because we live where we work.
I hate when people ask for a favor and finish it with, "Ya know, since you're just at home." I think daycare providers and SAHMs never get full recognition for how much work we all do in a day!!
Mike 10:45 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Lucky for me, I won't have to worry about a husband to argue with.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:49 AM 06-22-2016
Yep! CHARGE IT! I bet she gets up then! LOL
Leigh 04:14 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Absolutely have them pay for it, and pay a premium price (at least double the usual hourly rate). I also tell the parents that I will not be up waiting for them, and that they need to call me when they leave their home to let me know they are ACTUALLY on their way. I hate getting up 2 hours early to find that the parents couldn't force themselves out of bed at the planned time.
Thriftylady 05:14 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Absolutely have them pay for it, and pay a premium price (at least double the usual hourly rate). I also tell the parents that I will not be up waiting for them, and that they need to call me when they leave their home to let me know they are ACTUALLY on their way. I hate getting up 2 hours early to find that the parents couldn't force themselves out of bed at the planned time.
See the reason I don't like the have her call me option, is it always make me afraid I won't hear the phone so I don't sleep well.
Thriftylady 05:16 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Lucky for me, I won't have to worry about a husband to argue with.
The crazy part about mine is that when I specifically ask him about something with my business he will say "well it's your business so it doesn't matter what I think". Then, when I am just venting about something and not asking, he has all kinds of ideas, usually what I am doing wrong. I love the guy, I really do, but I really wish he would offer his advice when I ask for it, and just listen when I vent! LOL after being married 16 years in August, I can already tell you that will NEVER happen.
Crazy8 06:02 PM 06-22-2016
Just curious for those who say prepay, I would say 80% of the time when my parents ask for the early drop off it is by text/phone the evening before - usually when they discover they need to do something the next morning. How do you handle those??
I have had the ones who then end up running late, usually only by 20-30 min. but I like my sleep and its soooo annoying when they don't show up when they say they will.
LysesKids 08:10 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Just curious for those who say prepay, I would say 80% of the time when my parents ask for the early drop off it is by text/phone the evening before - usually when they discover they need to do something the next morning. How do you handle those??
I have had the ones who then end up running late, usually only by 20-30 min. but I like my sleep and its soooo annoying when they don't show up when they say they will.
I do not even consider early drop unless I have 12-24 hrs advance notice (and I approve)... & yes, they pay the additional fees @ drop off or no extra care is allowed. If I say NO, then they had to either drop @ normal time or find a work around.

Like next Monday, family asked yesterday for 2 hours early because of unusual work situation and they will pick up earlier too... I can accommodate & will, seeing that they asked 6 days early; good clients - I know they will pay because this is my 60 hr week kid. Military families can't afford to lose good care if no base care is available
Reply Up