Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Stop Coughing
gumdrops 07:46 AM 01-15-2019
DCG4 gets a nasty dry cough every 2-3 months and it lasts a few weeks every time. Mom is in denial that it could be allergies. Today she is coughing and gagging while crying because she's tired of coughing. I text DCM, she says to make sure she's spitting out any phlegm that comes up because she just keeps coughing the same phlegm up.

Is that a thing? Doesn't phlegm come from the lungs and when you swallow it goes to the stomach?

I just feel bad for this girl because she is miserable when she gets into a coughing fit.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
DCG4 gets a nasty dry cough every 2-3 months and it lasts a few weeks every time. Mom is in denial that it could be allergies. Today she is coughing and gagging while crying because she's tired of coughing. I text DCM, she says to make sure she's spitting out any phlegm that comes up because she just keeps coughing the same phlegm up.

Is that a thing? Doesn't phlegm come from the lungs and when you swallow it goes to the stomach?

I just feel bad for this girl because she is miserable when she gets into a coughing fit.
No matter what the issue is, she is clearly not able to participate as normal. I'd send her home. Poor kiddo.
Ac114 09:03 AM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:

I would also send her home. That’s not fair to her or you.
Ariana 02:44 PM 01-16-2019
This would be a definite send home as per my policies. A child coughing like this needs to go home, maybe then mom will wake up from her denial and get her child some help. SMH, some parents
ColorfulSunburst 10:21 AM 01-18-2019
http://great-beemaster.blogspot.com/...for-cough.html

it is an anti-cough recipe from my childhood. Very simple and effective. I recommend it for all my customers. It really helps.
Mom2Two 11:15 AM 01-18-2019
Odds are that it's drainage from her nose. If it was from her lungs that would be pneumonia or something.

It could be allergies or maybe she catches a munch of sinus bugs.

For my own child, I would give vitamin C to help with the drainage etc. Idk what to say to the mom though. I'm with the others--I don't allow constant coughing here. She needs to find a solution even if it's anti-cough stuff from her pediatrician.
dreamer 02:17 PM 01-20-2019
I have a little cousin, age 2, who has a chronic cough. It turns out that she has asthma. Maybe you could suggest this to the DCM as well, perhaps the little girl needs an inhaler :c
Mom2Two 07:03 PM 01-20-2019
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
http://great-beemaster.blogspot.com/...for-cough.html

it is an anti-cough recipe from my childhood. Very simple and effective. I recommend it for all my customers. It really helps.
I love that idea for a dry cough! That made me remember another thing we do here: sipping on full cream milk can help coat a dry, tickly cough.

Seems like they need to see a doctor though. We can't diagnose online here.
Tags:coughing
Reply Up