Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Saying Grace
melissa ann 04:44 PM 01-13-2010
At my daughter's preschool, at snack time they say grace. It goes like this:
Here are grandma's glasses, here is grandma's cap. See the way she folds her hands and puts them on her lap. God is good, God is great and we thank Him for our food. Amen.

We do this at supper. However in the last 2 weeks are so, daughter has been doing this at lunch w/dck. Well, this morning at breakfast (before my kids were up) the 2 dcks did it. They said they do it at home. Now, this family does not go to church and mom has 2 kids out of wedlock with 2 different dads. I'm not judging. Just stating the facts. They know we go to Church. Does anyone see this as a problem? My daughter is 5 and talks openly about God and Jesus. Grandpa or mom (his daughter) hasn't said anything to me. But in case they do, how should I handle it? I don't think it would be right for my daughter not to pray before eating. But at the same time, I don't want to make the family uncomfortable either.
gbcc 05:46 PM 01-13-2010
Personally, I would state that I understand his concerns but I am very proud of my child for telling others about the love and word of God. They will hear much worse at school but you will not tell your child he/she can't speak of their love for God or Jesus. It is up to the Grandpa to follow up on the children's questions though and assure him you and your child are not preaching.
originalkat 05:46 AM 01-14-2010
What a wonderful example your child is setting for the others. They may not have this experience anywhere else so if they can feel the love of God through your child's honest and sincere prayers/speech then what a perfect way for them to be introduced to it.

On a practical side...We are a Christian family but I do not claim to run a religious or Christian daycare. However, as a product of the home environment the children in my care are sure to hear songs and discussions/prayers while they are here. I have this statement in the parent handbook to kind of cover my bases...

Religious Beliefs and Teaching

I believe it is primarily each family’s responsibility to teach their religious beliefs to their children. However, I do share Christian values and God’s love through everyday experiences such as Bible stories, songs, and simple prayers.

If the parents ask you about it, just simply say something like "Oh yes, that is the prayer my daughter says before meals."
originalkat 06:11 AM 01-14-2010
It is to the tune of Twinkle Twinke Little Star.
Thank-you, Thank-you my heart sings.
Thank-you Lord for Everything.
Amen.
DBug 06:24 AM 01-14-2010
During daycare, we don't say anything before meals and snacks, and it really bothers me, especially at lunch time. Right now, the kids just dig in, even before everyone is at the table. I'd like to have a song or rhyme to say before everyone starts, to teach the kids to wait til everyone's ready. We do give thanks as a family, but I don't feel it's right to expect the daycare kids to give thanks to God (who they may or may not be raised to believe in). I wouldn't want my own kids to be praying to Buddha or any other god if they went to daycare, and I would think my parents probably have the same opinion.

So my question is, does anyone have a ******* thankfulness or mealtime song or rhyme? I've googled it a few times, but everything I've found refers to God ...
DBug 06:26 AM 01-14-2010
One word was bleeped -- what I was asking for was a general, non-religious song.
Childminder 07:55 AM 01-14-2010
I have a disclaimer right in my handbook that states 'while this is not a religious daycare program the subject of God will come up occasionally while your child is in care. For instance if a child takes notice of gender difference I will tell him/her that "God made him that way", or if someone or a pet dies "he/she is in heaven with God". If you are uncomfortable with this policy then this is not the ideal place for your child.
Carole's Daycare 08:28 AM 01-14-2010
I address the subject in my policies, and discuss it at interviews. Basically it says that while I am not specifically a Christian Daycare, this is a Christian home, and I raise my own children in this environment, so we say a blessing before meals, I have a nativity up at Christmas and read both secular and non- secular stories for holidays like Easter and Christmas. I do not discriminate and all faiths are welcome, so please feel free to talk to me about your traditions and needs. The vast majority of my families do not go to church at all, but have no problem with me teaching and saying grace at meals, or telling the nativity story etc. Over the years I have had families of other faiths- One was Jewish and they were OK with blessings at meals- we of course had to make some adaptations to the menu (to be kosher) and we included a book about Hannukkah & Passover to share with everyone what some of that families traditions were. We changed grace from "come Lord Jesus be our guest" to "God is Great God is good let us thank him for our food" If we can't all be respectful while still maintaining our faith in a daycare, how can they do it in the big world later? I have had buddhist families that completely allow their childfen to participate, and seem to find no conflict in following buddhist teachings and traditions, finding Buddhism and Christianity not mutually exclusive from their perspective.
GretasLittleFriends 09:09 AM 01-14-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
During daycare, we don't say anything before meals and snacks, and it really bothers me, especially at lunch time. Right now, the kids just dig in, even before everyone is at the table. I'd like to have a song or rhyme to say before everyone starts, to teach the kids to wait til everyone's ready. We do give thanks as a family, but I don't feel it's right to expect the daycare kids to give thanks to God (who they may or may not be raised to believe in). I wouldn't want my own kids to be praying to Buddha or any other god if they went to daycare, and I would think my parents probably have the same opinion.

So my question is, does anyone have a ******* thankfulness or mealtime song or rhyme? I've googled it a few times, but everything I've found refers to God ...
I make all of my children sit quietly at the table until everyone has food in front of them. I put the plates down oldest to youngest to help ensure everyone has food before a child starts digging in.

As far as words of thankfulness you could try:

Thank you for the food we eat, Thank you for the friends we meet, Thank you for the birds that sing, We give thanks for everything!

OR

"To the plants and animals who make up our food, to the cook who bought it and cooked it we say:" and have everyone say "thank you" together.
kitkat 10:23 AM 01-14-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
As far as words of thankfulness you could try:
Thank you for the food we eat, Thank you for the friends we meet, Thank you for the birds that sing, We give thanks for everything!
My son's prayer is similar to the Thank you above: Dear God, thank you for my food, my family, and my friends. Amen. You can drop the Dear God and Amen and you are good to go.

You could also just have the kids say what they are thankful for. Make sure you say what you are thankful for also, even if you are thankful for the upcoming naptime .
originalkat 11:42 AM 01-14-2010
My Handbook addresses this as well. Most families I have had do not go to church, but they actually appreciate them being exposed to it at daycare. If someone does come who has different religious beliefs, we can easily adapt so everyone is included.
melissa ann 03:35 PM 01-14-2010
Thank you everyone. I was bit surprised by all the comments. I was hesitiant of posting my concern because of someone blasting me for it. I feel much better now. I didn't even know my daughter said grace at preschool until the one day I stayed and helped make applesauce after they had a field trip to an apple orchard.
Former Teacher 04:02 PM 01-14-2010
At my former center we use to say the "God is great..." prayer before lunch. We said that for years but then my former director came along and she said because in today'society with all the different religions etc we couldn't say it anymore. While I respected that statement and discontinued it, I thought it odd since no one complained. I also could not talk about God, Heaven, and things like that.

Then along came A who was 3. Her mother was a single parent who also happened to be a Jehovah Witness. She liked the fact that we didn't talk about God and Jesus etc. However she did not like the fact that I taught about Christmas (Santa believing etc)...or Valentine's Day or any holiday celebration. I flat out told my former director that I will NOT change my curriculum to suit one parent. I don't care if A didn't do the projects etc but I am not going to change everything around for one person. Mom also made the comment that her religion doesn't celebrate birthdays. Yet on his birthday she whispered to me, don't forget that today is A's birthday but we aren't celebrating anything. Umm hello? Then why bring it up?

This mother also didn't want me to say the Pledge of Allegiance in front of A because of the reference to God. Umm ok. Where do I put him? By this time he is 4 years old. First my former director said behind the wall. Ok so now everyone is looking at A thinking he is in trouble. Then we would put A in the younger group. Well because he was older and he knew it, he would get out of control.

Finally I had a nice long talk with the mother and told her while I completely respect her religion, I am not going to be signalling A out anymore. He can sit in front of the cubbies in full view as to not draw anymore attention. She actually asked me if he did the Pledge. I told her no however he does know it since he hears it all the time.

A eventually became one of the "bad" kids that in mommy's eyes could do no wrong. Funny enough, she put a 1 month notice because the other dc she was planning on taking him to wasnt opened yet. The week before A's last day she said that she got a notice saying that the dc wouldn't be open for another 2 weeks so she needed him to stay. Well that made my former director mad and I had to tell her that we already filled his spot. It was so nice to see the nasty Grandmother's face when I told her! It made my day!
mncare 01:26 PM 01-25-2010
I have it in my contract that I am a Christian based daycare, that way there is no confusion. It is the first sentence in my contract.

I made this one up and the kids really like it:

If you are thankful and you know it fold your hands,
If you are thankful and you know it bow your head,
If you are thankful and you know it then your heart will surely show it
If you are thankful and you know it praise the Lord. AMEN!

We act it out and and the AMEN, we throw our hands up for fun.

Sometimes we do Come Lord Jesus, be our guest, let these gifts to us be blessed. Amen. I usually do that one when I have had a frustrating morning and don't feel like singing.
momofsix 07:25 PM 01-25-2010
We sing to the tune of "Are You Sleeping?"
"Thank you Father
Thank you Father
for this food
for this food
and our many blessings
and our many blessings
Amen, amen"
or
to the tune of the Superman theme song
"Thank you God
for giving us food (repeat)
for the friends we meet
for the food we eat
Thank you God
for giving us food (repeat)"
The boys really like this one b/c it's the Superman prayer!
mamajennleigh 04:35 AM 01-26-2010
I love all these little songs you guys have posted! I especially love the one to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star, and I think I'll start using it today.

I don't have issues with grace, since all of the kids I keep have parents who are aware I am a Christian and that I say Grace and read bible stories to the kids. They actually seem to prefer it, even if they don't do it at home.
Lucy 10:29 PM 01-26-2010
Unless you run a Christian Daycare, I don't think religous songs, rhymes, verses, prayers or stories belong as part of your Daycare day. Now, if you VERY SPECIFICALLY tell parents during your interview that this will be part of your routine and they are all for it, then fine. Otherwise, it puts you in a sticky spot. I have 2 Christian dc sisters and every now and then they will mention something from church or sunday school. I just say "oh, cool", and leave it at that. If your daughter prays before meals, great, but if dc parent has a problem with her own kids picking up on it and repeating it at home, maybe your daughter can do it silently. Doesn't sound like there's a problem at this point, however, according to your post.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:51 PM 02-02-2010
At the Home Daycare/Preschool I work at we let the parents know from the very beginning that we are a Christian Day Care & Preschool. We have daily worship each morning before Preschool begins, then we have a Bible Story and Devotions before we do anything else in class. We also have a weekly memory verse (or bi-weekly if I feel the children need more time to memorize it, as we only meet for preschool 2 times a week for the 2 1/2 & 3 yr olds and 3 times a week for the 4 & 5 yr olds). Plus we say grace before meals or snacks, and talk about Jesus throughout the day (i.e "It makes Jesus sad when we use words like that", or "when we hit someone", etc).
Our goal is to plant seeds in these little ones, and hopefully lead them into their own relationship with Christ. You need to stand up and be proud of being a Christian! God's word even tells us not to be ashamed of being Christians:
2 Timothy 1:8 "So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God"

Luke 9:26 "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels".

I think it's great that your daughter talks openly about God. What a testimony and witness she can be to the other children! Don't be afraid of what the other parents might say. Who knows what seeds your daughter could be planting as the other children repeat at home what your daughter says. If the parents don't like it, let them pull their children out - God will bless your efforts as a Christian. You need to spread the good news of Christ as much as you can! You may be the nearest thing these little ones see of Jesus. Keep up the good work!
alyssyn 09:10 PM 02-13-2010
I agree with you 100%! Keep up the good work!

Alyssyn
Unregistered 09:49 AM 02-14-2010
at a center i used to work at they did this one:

open shut them
open shut them
give a little clap
open shut them
open shut them
lay them in your lap
(after they did) now you may eat.

my sons preschool did:

please and thank you