Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 1/2 Year Old Nap or Not...and Parent Request
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:30 AM 01-25-2010
I just took in a 3 1/2 year old boy last week (he will be 4 in June). On his start up papers I gave for mom to fill out, it states he naps but wake him after 1/2 hour because if he naps longer, he won't go to sleep at night.

I have him full time M-F 8-5 and EVERY day I have the same routine for him...I get my daughter and another 4 year old on the preSchool bus at 12:15, I lay my 20 month old daycare boy down for his nap and I tell the new boy it's time for him to rest and nap. There is nobody else here but them 2 and the little one takes his nap so it's rather quiet.

Problem is, He won't stay layed down, I speak to him over and over and over. He gets up and starts playing with loud toys or he bangs the play kitchen doors shut or goes in the bathroom and starts messing with the wooden stool making noise. I have given him books and he will look at them for a while but then he's back up making noise.

Since I'm rather new to the daycare business, I was just curious what others' policy is on this? At 3 1/2 do you still make them nap? And if a parent requests they only sleep an "X" amout of time, do you grant that wish? I am firm with the boy (not rude, just firm because he needs to know boundaries), but wondering if maybe he doesn't require a nap, however he won't rest quietly so I don't know...just looking for advise. Thanks.
momma2girls 10:36 AM 01-25-2010
I have all daycare children, no matter what age have quiet time. I have a 4 yr. old girl who has to be seperated from the other 2 3 and 4 yr. olds, because she doesn't do well with other children in the same room at rest time. She goofs around, sings, etc. I have to be very firm with her every rest time, do not sing, go right to sleep, then for the most part she will. Even the older ones, inc. my own daughter (in the summer) have quiet time- they have to read books for 1/2 hr. then the rest of the time, they get to pick a movie out to sit quietly and watch. This works for the most part.
I hope this helps you out!!! They don't have to sleep, but everyone has to be quiet for the 2 hrs. most generally everyone sleeps, if they wake up, before rest time is over, they still have to rest and be quiet and not wake up the others, til snack time, I come and get them/wake them up.
gbcc 10:43 AM 01-25-2010
I have a 4 year old girl that mom said did not nap anymore. I need my break time so I told mom she would be required to lay down with everyone for nap time. Mom didn't have any problem. It took this girl about a wk to adjust to laying quietly. It took some consequences for her to realize these were the rules but now she lays down and falls asleep almost every day!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:45 AM 01-25-2010
Thanks Iowa Daycare....would you wake a child per parent request if they were sleeping only 1/2 hour?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:45 AM 01-25-2010
EVERYONE naps here,.. even the school kids lay down in the summer and can read quietly or sleep.
Janet 11:04 AM 01-25-2010
It's my policy. Everyone naps at my house, unless they are over 6 years old. By "nap" I mean that they need to lay quietly for at least 1 hour. If they fall asleep, cool, if not , cool, but they have to be quiet. For older kids, they just do something quiet like watch a movie or do some art projects. But as far as the sleeping goes, I never wake up kids because I know that their bodies will let them know when it's time to get up. You gotta stand your ground with the parents regarding nap, or they'll expect you to start catering all of your policies around what they want.
originalkat 11:06 AM 01-25-2010
I found this somewhere on the internet and I decided to use it in my parent handbook as well.
"All children are required to have a quiet time/rest period while at school. Our Quiet time is from 1:00 to 3:00 daily. To avoid disturbing the children who are sleeping, please try to avoid pick-ups during this time. Also, NO DROP-OFFS ARE ALLOWED during quiet time.

I believe children who rest during the day are better equipped to face the day emotionally and physically. Please do not ask me to keep your child up during quiet time. If you do not wish for your child to take naps, my program may not meet your family’s needs."

I know some kids grow out of naps more quickly than others, however, when at daycare I just dont see that as a feasable option. Otherwise pretty soon a person could have a household full of non-nappers.

I am strict with my kids at nap and new kids usually follow suit. It is quiet time...either sleep or rest quietly. All of mine sleep. I have a new one starting next month so we shall see.

(PS: I would not wake the child after 1/2 hour but would let the mom know as well)
momma2girls 11:15 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Thanks Iowa Daycare....would you wake a child per parent request if they were sleeping only 1/2 hour?
Nope, I sure wouldn't. If I woke up them, then everyone else would be up, if they are sleeping, it's because they are tired!!
AmandasFCC 12:30 PM 01-25-2010
My policy is to never wake a sleeping child until the end of nap time (3:00). If parents request that they don't nap I tell them all children have rest time, and if they fall asleep they obviously need the sleep. I will not wake them up.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:56 PM 01-25-2010
Thanks ladies...what do you do if a child resists quiet time?

For example, this boy will keep getting up and I keep telling him to lay down. I tell him if he isn't going to fall asleep, he is welcome to read a book or a puzzle or color quietly. But he won't do any of that, he's active (in fact he won't even sit for our craft time)...he will look at a book for a few min. but then I catch him up playing with loud electronic toys or fiddling in the bathroom (says he has to go potty but then find him messing around with other things making noise which will wake the other little one up).

So what is the key here? I firmly told him to lay down today over and over and over, same as last week. I thought he would get it by now but he's not. I'm spending my whole quiet time telling him to lay down or do something quiet. Any suggestions?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:12 PM 01-25-2010
I would sit right beside him making sure he didnt move. a soft hand on his foot,.. or a gentle touch saying,.. Im still right here and its still quiet time. Settle in with a good book or a laptop. lol and just spend a few days right with him.

Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Thanks ladies...what do you do if a child resists quiet time?

For example, this boy will keep getting up and I keep telling him to lay down. I tell him if he isn't going to fall asleep, he is welcome to read a book or a puzzle or color quietly. But he won't do any of that, he's active (in fact he won't even sit for our craft time)...he will look at a book for a few min. but then I catch him up playing with loud electronic toys or fiddling in the bathroom (says he has to go potty but then find him messing around with other things making noise which will wake the other little one up).

So what is the key here? I firmly told him to lay down today over and over and over, same as last week. I thought he would get it by now but he's not. I'm spending my whole quiet time telling him to lay down or do something quiet. Any suggestions?

gbcc 02:32 AM 01-26-2010
I would do what laundrydutchess does as well. It will take a few days but eventually he will get bored and give in. From there his system will just get used to needing the nap.

I would also make him go potty right before nap even if he claims he doesn't need to. This will prevent him from getting up when he's about ready to fall asleep!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:20 AM 01-26-2010
Thanks....I'll try that today :-)
AmandasFCC 07:56 AM 01-26-2010
Yeah I have had some like that. I sit beside them and rub their backs until they are relaxed. 90% of the time those are the ones that fall asleep very quickly. They just need help to rest.
momofboys 08:11 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I would sit right beside him making sure he didnt move. a soft hand on his foot,.. or a gentle touch saying,.. Im still right here and its still quiet time. Settle in with a good book or a laptop. lol and just spend a few days right with him.
I'd try this! Good idea & for your sake I hope it works!
MarinaVanessa 09:16 AM 01-26-2010
I have a Parent's Guidebook that I typed up on my computer that parent's follow in concunction to the contract. I have all of the policies and rules that I want to have followed in there just in case a situation comes up. In that handbook I have a nap/quiet time policy that says that any child under the age of 5 will participate in nap time. I have cots that I lay out on the living room floor that face our TV and a put on a movie or cartoon with no sound on it just in case a child isn't sleepy. They are still required to lay down and stay quiet. Older kids can do quiet activities as long as they don't make noise (color, draw, read etc.). When a child that I care for doesn't want to nap or lay down or stay quiet for that matter all you can do is stay consistent. Eventually they'll learn.

In the case when a parent asks me to wake the child up after a short while I politely remind them of my policy that they agreed to when they signed up. I simply say "I understand your concern but it is very important for children this age to have a rest period so that can recharge. It is healthy for a child under the age of 5 to take naps and, just as it says in the handbook, it is my policy to have nap time from (this time) to (this time)." I believe in being firm with my policies because if you don't, this may cause more problems with other things later.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:07 AM 01-26-2010
yup, worked very well today. I'm sitting right by him and he's fast asleep. Yay!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:18 AM 01-26-2010
Yeah Sunshine!!!!! So glad!!!!!! now hurry go do what you need to so if he wakes up you will be right there. =-)
Tags:naps, quiet time, sleep time
Reply Up