Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>painting with a daycare?
cillybean83 06:45 AM 02-01-2011
I'm really considering painting my living room and kitchen. We've lived here for 3 years but with 2 dogs, 2 kids of our own and the daycare kids...the house could use a good paint job!

Should I pull an all-niter and paint on a Friday night to give it plenty of time to dry or should I close for a day to give it extra time??

My living room and kitchen/dining area are the same color (brown...not my fave choice!) and I want to give them some definition...I was thinking a light greyish for the living room and a light yellow for the kitchen....

what do you guys think i should do?
AnythingsPossible 06:53 AM 02-01-2011
If it were me, i would probably just paint over the weekend. I wouldn't close an extra day for it. I have always painted on the weekend and never had issues.
littlemissmuffet 07:01 AM 02-01-2011
We painted in October, our entire three bedroom, two bathroom home in one day/night. It was dry and the smell was gone within 24 hours... good to go come Monday!
Little People 07:01 AM 02-01-2011
I would paint over the weekend too. Maybe you could tackle the livingroom one weekend and then wait a weekend or so and do the kitchen? This way you would not be so worn out. But then I seen you are taking some babies! Congrts!! So you may want to just get it all done in one weekend!
cillybean83 07:11 AM 02-01-2011
I'm going to have a painting party, get some people over here, order pizza and PAINT lol
Little People 07:12 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I'm going to have a painting party, get some people over here, order pizza and PAINT lol
That is an excellent idea!!
littlemissmuffet 07:14 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
That's the way to do it! Great idea!
heyhun77 07:34 AM 02-01-2011
I'd go with the get it tackled in a weekend plan. I personally have most of our house that needs new paint and we'll be doing a room a weekend from now until mid-April to get it all done. We're not changing the color in the kitchen or the living room so those are easy because we won't have to get in the corners and such. We are changing the colors in our bedroom and probably the boys' bedroom and the playroom so those will take longer to do the cutting in. You could always get a headstart if you're changing colors and do the cut ins on Wednesdsay and Thursday night if you don't have a painting party. That way you just have the rolling to do on the weekend.
My Daycare 07:44 AM 02-01-2011
I hear you can put a drop or 2 of lemon essential oil in it to kill the smell. I did do it, but since I live here, I couldn't tell whether or not it smelled or not.

There is also some very expensive paint w/ low or no VOC's.

Even if you don't do any of the above, I think you can still open on Monday.
SilverSabre25 07:56 AM 02-01-2011
Lowe's Olympia (or Olympic, whatever) is low/no VOC. Love it!
Stacy214 07:56 AM 02-01-2011
I would do it on the weekend and should be good and dry and no smells on Monday. I repainted my entire home in April (not in a weekend lol ) and used the Home Depot paint with the primer in it...went on so well and low to no odor. My kitchen/dining are a yellow and my living room/hall are gold....I would never have thought they would go well but they do, also , consider if you have walls that connect (like my kitchen goes into the living room so its a corner wall with two diff colors) if that made sense lol....HAVE FUN! I love to paint and love change!
Reply Up