Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default I'm Done. Giving 2 Weeks Notice Today, How Should I Do It?

After much deliberation I am closing my daycare. I am mentally and physically exhausted and pregnant on top of it all. I'm too timid a person to enforce my policies and so I end up being taken advantage of constantly and no matter how clear I make my policies, they aren't respected. I'm done. I know things will be tight for us financially, but the extra money is not worth putting myself and my daughter through this. I find I spend so much time tending to the other kids that I barely get time with my daughter as is and I know if I were not closing, I would regret it some day as I cannot ever get this time back with her (she's 9 months).

I'm sick today, and my husband is home today for half the day as he came home to help out, but we have been discussing this for quite a few months and I have finally decided that I will give them two weeks notice effective today.

I have three families, two of them will pick up at 3:30-4:00 so I don't have much time left to decide how to do this. Should I just tell them verbally, have something in writing or what? I'm dreading this so much, and I know there is no way I can say it that will make it easier on them.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

Yes, both. Have something printed up and while you are handing it to them, explain what is said in the letter.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Make sure that you give them verbal as well as written notice. Also, do you have a list of area providers to give them? Two weeks is not a lot of time for them to find someone, although it is manageable.

Enjoy your time with your daughter...
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

I thought two weeks would be enough, I really don't know that I can do this for more than that.

I'm not sure how to even start the letter, can anyone help with the wording?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Dear Parents,

I have really enjoyed getting to know, and care for, your child(ren).

I regret to inform you that as of [whatever date], XYZ Daycare will be closing.

Listed below are phone numbers for other providers in the area and our CCR&R.

I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
NAME

I'm sure others will be able to make it sound a little more friendly, but this is a start.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marniewon View Post
Dear Parents,

I have really enjoyed getting to know, and care for, your child(ren).

I regret to inform you that as of [whatever date], XYZ Daycare will be closing.

Listed below are phone numbers for other providers in the area and our CCR&R.

I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
NAME

I'm sure others will be able to make it sound a little more friendly, but this is a start.
That sounds good to me (although I don't know what CCR&R is) and about what I had come up with.

OP, good luck--i can't imagine being pg again when I had a 9 month old, let alone doing daycare on top of it! Enjoy your time with your daughter.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Little People

Dear___ It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you that as of _________ I will not be able to provide care for ______ anymore. Attached is a copy of the licensed providers in our area to help with your search. I want you to know that I truly enjoyed caring for your child during our time together. I wish you and your family all the luck in the future.
Sincerely,
______

Maybe something like this.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
That sounds good to me (although I don't know what CCR&R is) and about what I had come up with.
I think it stands for Child Care Resource and Referral. Around here (and I'm not sure how far it extends) parents can call them and get names and numbers of providers in their area.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marniewon View Post
I think it stands for Child Care Resource and Referral. Around here (and I'm not sure how far it extends) parents can call them and get names and numbers of providers in their area.
ah, got it, thanks. I've seen that abbreviation around here a couple times and hadn't been able to figure it out. Weird how many of those things are regional, lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Just be prepared that they won't do the full two weeks. Once you give them notice they could pull immediately or find someone within days. Just don't bank on having their money. If they have deposits then they will stay to use that up but if they are paying behind they may just bolt.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM

You may also want to check out your local registration requirements. This may be really important if you change your mind after having your baby.

I know that if I close for any reason I would have to go back to school for about a year and pay out about $1500 before I could re-open even though I already have more qualifications / certifications than the person who inspects me.... It seems I bought the wrong certification
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli829 View Post
I thought two weeks would be enough, I really don't know that I can do this for more than that.

Two weeks is fine...don't stress yourself over it. Unless you have something else in your contract, most people wouldn't expect more than that.

Enjoy! I know I would have loved to have been able to do what you're doing! Good for you!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli829 View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't enough. If you're done, you're done and it's fine to give two weeks notice. I guess I was just referring to maybe having some names/numbers of other providers to give them.

So, how did it go??
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

I didn't have time to type up the letter by the time they came to pick up so I didn't end up telling them yesterday but I will be telling them today. I'm soo nervous!! I've told one of the families and they were so nice about it and were supportive but I'm not so sure the other families will be the same, specially one of my families they are a bit uptight. I've also extended it to three weeks notice but I'm wondering now if I should change it back to 2? Thanks so much for the help with writing the letter as well, it really helped!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Well I've told them and I am SO relieved. All the families were so great and so supportive, and I feel so happy that it turned out this way. Now I just need to get through the next three weeks.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Daycare.com Member

Congrats!!
....enjoy this time with your lil one!! I did not start providing dc until after my kids were already in school all day and it was so wonderful to have those years with them. Our family is so strong and our children are so confident....I can't help but think that my staying at home made a big difference. Good for you!!

Last edited by Live and Learn; 02-22-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: :-)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

That's great- I bet there is a huge sense of relief. Best of luck to you! Enjoy your own little ones!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

wow, congrats to you! I feel relieved for you and can't imagine what that feeling is like to close down once you are done. Good luck!!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks I do feel relieved but I don't think I will fully feel it until the last day is over. I also won't be able to quit forever but in 7-8 months from now if I haven't found another way to help supplement our income by then I might take 1-2 kids maximum of older ages i.e Not 1 year olds and change the format entirely of how this last run was. I want to be able to go out with the dck's and do groceries, errands, go to museums and the library etc so that my kids or myself don't have to be stuck in the house all the time. This was my biggest mistake I think was taking a young group all under 2 and not being able to get anything done like appointments or take my daughter places etc..

Anyway thanks again for all the advice I've gotten from all the wonderful people on this forum.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

Good for you! I'm glad that your families were supportive! I am pregnant and doing daycare too--not so fun, I totally feel your pain!! My midwife has actually expressed that she wants me to quit much earlier than I intend--I intend to go to 38 weeks. I'm done with daycare once I go off on my Maternity leave too--luckily I live in Canada and Self-Employed people are now able to pay into EI and get a full year of Mat leave. After that, I'll figure out something else! Good luck with the baby and enjoy your little girl!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
Good for you! I'm glad that your families were supportive! I am pregnant and doing daycare too--not so fun, I totally feel your pain!! My midwife has actually expressed that she wants me to quit much earlier than I intend--I intend to go to 38 weeks. I'm done with daycare once I go off on my Maternity leave too--luckily I live in Canada and Self-Employed people are now able to pay into EI and get a full year of Mat leave. After that, I'll figure out something else! Good luck with the baby and enjoy your little girl!
bolding mine

okay, okay, okay, now I am REALLY jealous of you Canadians!! Really, truly, tell me...is there much call for home daycare and/or high school history teachers in Cananda? 'Cause I'm seriously starting to consider moving to Canada (my dad lives there already and I love visiting him).
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yeah I also live in Canada and was excited to learn that we can now pay into EI, and so when or if I start again I will make sure to pay into it so that if we have more children I can at least have a paid mat leave. I don't think I qualify this time though because I think I read I had to have applied for it by a certain date and I didn't know about it so I didn't. Wish I had known sooner.

Tags
backbone, close daycare, close daycare - sample letter, overwhelmed