Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head lice question
DCMomOf3 01:41 PM 03-11-2011
my kids came home with a notice that lice is going through the school. They were checked by the school nurse and again by me and they are clear. Do I telll my DCPs of the notice? I don't have any DC SAs today, only my own.
nannyde 02:16 PM 03-11-2011
If you do a complete check and they don't have any signs of it then I would say no.
ammama 02:26 PM 03-11-2011
I wouldn't say anything - the dck's have no chance of getting it, as long as you keep checking your own kids periodically to make sure they haven't picked it up. By the way, putting girls (I'm not sure if you have girls or boys) hair up in braids is a great way to prevent them getting lice - lice don't like tight, closely held hair.
mickey2 02:35 PM 03-11-2011
I agree with nan. My little boy has come home many times with notes from his school saying "a case of head lice has been found in your child's class" blah blah blah! My son has never been affected so I said nothing!
Kaddidle Care 03:01 PM 03-11-2011
I don't think you're required to say anything unless it is a child in your care that has it.

I might mention it to parents of children in that school - it doesn't hurt to be proactive and if the parents see their children itching their heads for them to take a look.

OK - my head is itching now. It happens at the mention of head lice to me!
Ihsan 06:43 AM 03-20-2011
Hi

I found head lice in my little girl, is it ok to send her to school? i just found it today
what i should do and how usually schools/daycares deal with that?
DCMomOf3 07:28 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by Ihsan:
Hi

I found head lice in my little girl, is it ok to send her to school? i just found it today
Call your doctor now. Call the school and tell them she has it. She will need her head treated and you will have to clean your house very throughly too.

I would be surprised if any daycare or school will let her come until she has been treated and they are gone.

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/lice.html
Mrs.Ky 08:31 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
my kids came home with a notice that lice is going through the school. They were checked by the school nurse and again by me and they are clear. Do I telll my DCPs of the notice? I don't have any DC SAs today, only my own.
Nope not at all unless your kids have them. My 5th grader got a notice about a month into school because someone had them but he didnt and I didnt say anything.
Mrs.Ky 08:33 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by Ihsan:
Hi

You dont have to call the doctor just go to the store and get RID and follow what the box says make sure you wash all the sheets, blankets, clothes, boil her hair brush, and put all her stuffed animals in a bag, she shouldnt return to school or daycare till there is NO NITS or LIVE LICE.
Unregistered 09:11 AM 03-20-2011
I'm the MN Lice Lady and have been certified by The Shepherd Institute at the Lice Solutions Resource Network in West Palm Beach, FL.

The most important piece to eradicating lice is using a HIGH QUALITY nit comb, not found in pharmacies. Expert lice professionals do not use pesticides because they do not work (hence why we are in business) and they also are unsafe. If you choose to use an OTC product with Permethrin and it does not work I highly ADVISE you NOT to get a prescription pesticide (Malathion or Lindane) as they are highly dangerous. Lindane has been banned in 37 countries, the state of California and is being reviewed for ban in the state of New York. Malathion also an organophosphate pesticide (DDT is also one) is classified by the EPA as "suggestive evidence of carcinogenicity" and has had serious side effects such as "nausea, headache, tightness in the chest, convulsions and unconsciousness".

Lice are extremely fragile in the environment (dehydrate VERY quickly) and cannot live longer than 24 hours without a human blood meal (they don't live on pets). Focusing on items worn in the last 24 hours, bedsheets, combs/brushes will cover your possible exposure from the environment. Experts believe lice transmission from inanimate objects to be less than 2%. So cover your bases but don't fine tooth comb the carpet!

Experts eradicate lice and their nits (eggs) usually in less than one 3 hour session using a high quality nit comb and all should do a follow-up within 7 days. Get yourself a high quality nit comb and focus on the nits - comb again in a couple days. Then follow-up again in a couple days to make sure you have not missed any nits.

Good Luck!
Gonne
MN Lice Lady
mnlicelady.com
Tags:head lice, nits
Reply Up