Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic - Rhubarb
PitterPatter 10:36 AM 04-07-2011
Anyone here use it? I have a friend that just offered a bunch to me for the daycare. Never had it before. Is it something that kids would like? I don't want to take it and not use it.
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 04-07-2011
Mmmmmm! Rhubarb is awesome....rhubarb upside down cake, rhubarb crisp, rhubarb sauce, rhubarb and strawberry pie, YUM!! Just google it and you will see tons of recipies. I LOVE rhubarb! Plus it gets you 3 stars out of 4 on the food program list of yummy and good for you fruits!!
SilverSabre25 11:52 AM 04-07-2011
bleh....tastes like sour celery. I hate it.

My DH, on the other hand, is a whacko and eats it raw.

Really, it need to be cooked to be useful. I think most people put it in pies and things.
BusyBee 11:59 AM 04-07-2011
I have a delicious recipe for rhubarb cake if you would like it! It is not sour when it is cooked properly. Raw rhubarb is sour, but as kids we would just dip it in sugar. Probably not what you want to do with your daycare kids though. lol

LMK if you would like the recipe.
nannyde 12:54 PM 04-07-2011
My kids LOVE rhubarb. I get whatever I can and clean, chop, freeze. We are SO sad when we use up the last bag.

It's like GOLD to us.
Meeko 12:58 PM 04-07-2011
Rhubarb and English custard.....pure heaven........
PitterPatter 04:12 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by BusyBee:
I have a delicious recipe for rhubarb cake if you would like it! It is not sour when it is cooked properly. Raw rhubarb is sour, but as kids we would just dip it in sugar. Probably not what you want to do with your daycare kids though. lol

LMK if you would like the recipe.
I sure would like the recipe, thank you!

I checked out some recipes online but just like with any other recipe, u never know if it's a good 1 until u try it and being I have never tried rhubarb before I wouldn't know if it was just the recipe or the rhubarb itself. Ty for offering!
KEG123 04:13 PM 04-07-2011
Great for baking, but I like it raw too. Nom!
PitterPatter 04:14 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Rhubarb and English custard.....pure heaven........
English custard? Is that like regular custard pie or something special?
BusyBee 06:11 PM 04-07-2011
Mix one yellow cake mix according to directions.

In a separate bowl combine 4 cups sliced rhubarb and 2 cups sugar. Add to the prepared cake mix.

Pour into 9x13 pan and pour 1 pint of whipping cream over the top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

It is so easy and so good! It tastes great right out of the oven or cold. Store it in the fridge. If you get a chance to make it, I hope you like it!
PitterPatter 03:07 AM 04-08-2011

In a separate bowl combine 4 cups sliced rhubarb and 2 cups sugar. Add to the prepared cake mix.

Pour into 9x13 pan and pour 1 pint of whipping cream over the top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

It is so easy and so good! It tastes great right out of the oven or cold. Store it in the fridge. If you get a chance to make it, I hope you like it!
Thanks so much that sounds super easy!!! I usually make jello cake or upside down pineapple but this cake may take the place if it's a hit. I'm all for the quick and easy recipes these days. I make a lot of Rachael ray recipes but I find that a lot of times her 30 minute meals end up taking me an hour. Guess I'm slow Thanks again!
SilverSabre25 04:18 AM 04-08-2011

This actually sounds good enough that I might try it...my DH will love me forever, lol
momofboys 04:38 AM 04-08-2011
My kids love rhubarb in baked goods! Rhubarb pie, rhubarb cake, crisp, etc. It is wonderful mixed with strawberries too. I made a strawberry-rhubarb crisp last year - it lasted half a day (9 x 13 pan)!!!
MaryPoppins 06:04 AM 04-08-2011
Strawberry-rhubarb jam is YUMMY! And it's so easy! I use it on bread and it's also yummy on pancakes.

I also have a rhubarb bar recipe that's sort of like a cereal bar. We eat them for breakfast.

Rhubarb is very good for you...lots of fiber! It does take a bit of sugar to make it taste edible though. Let me know if you'd like either of those recipes.
dEHmom 06:23 AM 04-08-2011
i'm totally the raw rhubarb gal dipped in sugar. YUM! I always did this as a kid.

I transplanted 3 rhubarb plants from my moms last year, just as they were getting nice and full, dogs ate all 3 of them.
Meeko 06:55 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
English custard? Is that like regular custard pie or something special?
I'm from England and the custard is something I miss. I can sometimes get it here in the US.

English custard is usually served warm as a sauce. It has the consistancy of a thick gravy and is very creamy. It gets served over pie and fruit crumble etc.

Birds Instant custard is the best. It comes in a powder form and you add milk.
PitterPatter 08:57 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I'm from England and the custard is something I miss. I can sometimes get it here in the US.

English custard is usually served warm as a sauce. It has the consistancy of a thick gravy and is very creamy. It gets served over pie and fruit crumble etc.

Birds Instant custard is the best. It comes in a powder form and you add milk.
OHHH Ok like "tubby custard" LOL

I remember watching the Teletubbies years ago and wondering why the custard was runny! Years later now I know! Ya learn something new every day. Ty!
Meeko 11:12 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
OHHH Ok like "tubby custard" LOL

I remember watching the Teletubbies years ago and wondering why the custard was runny! Years later now I know! Ya learn something new every day. Ty!
LOL! Yes...like tubby custard!!!!!
grandmom 12:49 PM 04-11-2011
the leaves are poisonous
Tags:custard, offtopic - rhubarb, rhubarb
Reply Up